One Rule For Some . . .

E2K

I've already mentioned on another thread about Ric Flair's behaviour on a website fan Q&A. I also heard that, when Flair was over in England "promoting" Backlash, he appeared on a wrestling radio show. On this, he took the oppurtunity to TRASH Mick Foley, saying something along the lines of Foley being just a circus act, a freak, with a crap gimmick, who he obviously didn't respect.

Now can anyone else tell me whats wrong with this picture? He's meant to be promoting Backlash, one of the highest-profile matches at which was Foley (legend) vs Orton (legend-killer). Well, in Flair's eyes, Foley obviously isn't a legend, so how is trashing Foley promoting that match?? Wow, I'm sure THAT brought an extra few buys! Nice one Ric.

Now, I believe that if anyone else did something as unprofessional as that, they'd have been reprimanded. If Jericho had been sent to promote a pay per view in an overseas market and instead spent his time trashing one of the most high-profile wrestlers on that particular show, what would have happened? And its not just that either; what if Y2J had been running around on a trans-atlantic flight, bollock-naked, and harrassing stewardesses in an incident that would eventually cause a lawsuit to be filed against the company? Jericho would be so gone, he'd be a dot.

Yet Flair gets away with it. Am I missing something? Is it that the guy is massaging the right egos, or what?

What you might actually be missing is that Ric Flair is most likely trashing Mick Foley out of contractual obligations.

I know if I had an interview I would do it in my wrestler persona, and mix it into the reality too.

Though i'm not trying to say that everything is buddy buddy in the WWE, remember that flair is in Evolution and is on Orton's side, so he is going to talk trash about foley!

Saracen

Yeah he's massaging HHH's and Vince's every night... plus because of his position and history in the biz people backstage still promote him like he's gods gift to wrestling... he was a great in the past, now he is a legend but lets face it Ric, you shouldn't be in the ring now, you should never have been given high profile runs against Taker, Jericho and Michaels... Never mind victories over the last two.

Say what you will about Foley but at least he can still go when he came back and he has the guts to admit his full time ring days are over.

Though i'm not trying to say that everything is buddy buddy in the WWE' date=' remember that flair is in Evolution and is on Orton's side, so he is going to talk trash about foley![/quote']

Well how is trashing Mick Foley like that promoting Randy Orton? If you take what Ric Flair said on-board, then Orton isn't the legend-killer anymore, he's the "washed-up circus act with a crap gimmick" killer. Thats not promting Randy Orton in any way. What that is is two things:

#1 settling scores with Foley, who said in his first book that he didn't respect Flair as a booker or on a personal level (but admired him totally as a wrestler) and

#2 using somebody else's time and money to just tell everyone that he doesn't like Mick Foley. Big deal Flair. Just do your damn job.

*Shrugs* Whatever....

You said in your own post that Flair doesn't particularly like Foley, but respects him.

They have been calling Foley washed up since he returned to the WWE, on screen, on paper and online, Glad you hate him though, proves he is one of the greatest bad guys to ever exist.

Saracen

The Nature Boy was just telling like it is. That was the real Ric Flair. No gimmick or in his Nature Boy persona. Nothing. The true man. I thought that was one of the best and most honest interviews I've ever heard from a wrestler. I don't agree with all that he said, but I loved hearing what his opinions on certain things about the wrestling world. I think he was right on about Foley. No wrestling talent at all. Foleys just popular because he's willing to take alot of abuse and we wrestling fans love that.

I'm a bigger fan of Flair because of that interview than I was before.

That is all,

SF

Just to clarify:

You said in your own post that Flair doesn't particularly like Foley' date=' but respects him[/quote']

No, I said that FOLEY said in his book that he doesn't like Flair as a booker or on a personal level, but that he respects Flair as a WRESTLER.

Glad you hate him though' date=' proves he is one of the greatest bad guys to ever exist[/quote']

What, you mean in general? Cos if you mean in the wrestling business, then I'd agree. But I'm beginning to intensely dislike the man behind the wrestling persona, which increasingly seem to me to be one and the same.

Oh my word savage fury you obviously are a bit mistaken or uninformed, don't take this as a personal attack but to say mick foley has no wrestling talent is surely false. Go get a tape of his ecw days or in japan (and i don't just mean the deathmatches) and then try and convince me he has no talent

What' date=' you mean in general? Cos if you mean in the wrestling business, then I'd agree. But I'm beginning to intensely dislike the man behind the wrestling persona, which increasingly seem to me to be one and the same.[/quote']

So you are telling me that every wrestler has to make sure that everyone knows which is his real personality and which is his character?

Ric Flair is old school, he doesn't come from the "sports entertainment" era, he comes from a world where the wrestler's knowledge is private and his own. He is successful as a bad guy because simply you cannot make a distinction from his wrestling personna and his true to life personna.

He has always been one of the few who makes you really hate him, because you never know if he is working or saying something from experience.

The more you hate him, the more he's succeeded.

Saracen

So you are telling me that every wrestler has to make sure that everyone knows which is his real personality and which is his character?

Ric Flair is old school, he doesn't come from the "sports entertainment" era, he comes from a world where the wrestler's knowledge is private and his own. He is successful as a bad guy because simply you cannot make a distinction from his wrestling personna and his true to life personna.

He has always been one of the few who makes you really hate him, because you never know if he is working or saying something from experience.

The more you hate him, the more he's succeeded.

Saracen

Well, let me say this.

What Ric Flair said about Mick Foley wasn't a work; he was speaking the truth. Thats fair enough, but my point is that it was lousy timing considering he was meant to be promoting a ppv that Foley featured highly in. Now, you can say that Flair was just mixing in a bit of wrestling psychology into the interview to hype the show, but I don't think thats the case at all. I think that he was unprofessional to do what he did. If he wanted to have a go at Foley, he should've done it in his book.

Now, as far as Flair's era goes, I'm starting to think that he belongs there. And quite frankly, the problem I have with Flair's ring and real-life personas being so closely linked is that the dickhead you see on tv is an accurate reflection of the man himself, and I don't like dickheads.

The problem for me is that, incresingly, Flair's "heel" moments for me are happening OUTSIDE the ring. As a performer now, Flair is a comedy act who makes people laugh by falling down for no reason and with his reactions. If I'm gonna like and respect a wrestler, he should really be keeping his "heel" moments in the ring.

What if he comes down to the ring on Raw next week wearing just his robe, and harrasses Lillian Garcia? You'd call it horrible writing that did nothing for anybody in the segment. But then, thats what Flair does in real life, isn't it?