You don't have to be a high flyer to be a star

Guest nWo Hogan

Guest nWo Hogan

I think to much emphasis is put on the high flying aspect in British wrestling nowadays, and if you cant fly your considered an afterthought. I think this is unfair as the inability to do summersaults, lionsaults and springboard flying moves hasn't hampered HHH,The Rock,Hogan,Flair,Sting,Luger,Kane,Undertaker and Austin etc, in fact in both WWF and WCW you rarely have or had a main eventer who could do any more that 6-8 moves. Just look at the Rocks and HHH's list of moves, not exactly high is it, yet these guys make millions. I keep hearing from people who say they can't make it because they can't fly etc. If you've got charisma and can generate heat then theres no reason why you cant succeed, you dont need to have a match where theres 100 moves in 10 minutes, this where i think British wrestling is hitting a stumbling block.

Come on guys give the ground based wrestlers a go

The reason WWF main eventers are bigger is because Vince doesn't like using smaller guys, Jericho & HBK are the only champions under 235lbs. As for UK wrestling hitting a stubling block using light Heavyweight guys I disagree, it's different to what alot of people have seen in the past meaning greater interest much like the ECW of old.

Besides which many of the main eventers actually did/do have more than 6 or 8 moves, but inevitably once you're that big a star there's a tendency to get lazy. If anyone wasn't impressed with the Rock when he debuted, or Austin when he fought Bret the first time then there's something kinda wrong, these guys really can wrestle. Very few guys get to the main event, and then get better in the ring. Most of their improvement comes along the way

You want your main eventers/champions to be all conquering superstars. Kinda hard to promote Rey Jr as a serious contender, could he really overcome the Big Show/Nash/Taker without it being kinda ridiculous. They went for the giant killer angle in WCW with him beating Nash, but guys like him and Juvi just don't look right in the main event.

By going for something different a la ECW, as mentioned previously, you gain a small loyal following. ECW's was 16-30 year old beer drinking males who liked violence. The problem with that is unless you change your style to appeal to a wider audience you get to a point where it's hard to get any bigger. WWF has a product that has something for everyone, therefore giving them a bigger target audience. Promotions like the FWA are trying to go for this too, which seems to make pretty good sense