JBL Bashing a force for good.

Spiritchaser

I asked why JBL was named number one contender again and have been met with a barrage of differing opinions on the man's failings or talents. So as not to be accused of JBL bashing for the sake of it I will add a little more clarity.

For as long as I have watched wrestling I have never really been a critic of it or the men who choose to make this their living.In fact before wrestling became cool pre NWO and Mike Tyson I had defended this sport to all and sundry, even as far as to defend Men on a Mission, The Beverly Brothers and Nailz. The reason why is simple, wrestling was mine no one else i knew, except my brother even admitted to watching wrestling. As time progressed more and more folks became familiar with this form of entertainment and slowly but ever so surely it became mainstream as was Vince's Dream.Then suddenly it was the in thing to watch after South Park and all the other late nineties quick fix TV garbage that was about. Now, I have watched John Layfield for about eight years in differing guises and he has failed to get over in all that time, my question is how on Earth did the booking committee pass this as a good idea, not to bash the man, much the same as i would never bash Monty "Billy Gunn" Sopp.

He never got over as Billy Gunn but as Mr Ass w/ Road Dogg however what has he done of late, nothing, why not give him the shot at Eddie, a big athletic guy who has put asses in seats and has never had a decent heel run in his career. Why JBL is not a criticism it is a ponderable, and yes, some folks may like the new character he has spawned, i do not think it adds anything new to the equation, thus, a downturn in business.Then again, if everyone turns off, wrestling will be mine alone to defend again.

Spiritchaser.

Crystal.

Billy Gunn was given a good heel run... he won KOTR 99 as a heel, he fought the Rock as a heel in a top line ppv match and he stank at it, and so did the booking.

Bradshaw I have to add is far more deserving on abilty in ring and out then BG ever would be.

As for the wrestling business being in a downturn, well yeah it does this and it will take a couple of years till a company finds its feet and challanges the WWF before it goes big again.

Though I really hate to say this out loud....

It takes two people to make a person over, one is the wrestler, the other is their opposition. If a Wrestler fails to entertain it is the failing of his opposition as well as the wrestler himself.

I personally think that JBL has the capability of becoming a major Heel, he has been stuck in tag team for a long time and was probably very happy there, even though occasionally did singles competition.

It's always a running start when you switch gimmicks or do a turn and it is very easy to fall over whilst trying to keep up with the pace, and i think the best way to do this is to slowly switch to the full potential of the new gimmick.

However, I do agree that there is a downturn, not in the business, but in decent heels.

The only heel I really recognise right now is HHH as he has dominated the WWE for a very long time and has proven time and time again to whip up an irate crowd into a furious hatred of himself, but even now people give him a begrudging respect as "the game".

I long for a Heel to compare to the days of old, where they didn't need some bearded bloke with his californian babe sidekick explaining to us just how bad this heel is.

Take the Million Dollar man, Ted Dibiase, this man was the epiteme of the evils of money, because he was so rich, he was untouchable and paid off other heels to defend him.

The Undertaker was a great Heel, he was untouchable due to his strange powers and the seeming invincibility the urn gave him. Though i have to admit, the Undertaker's turn (Saving Miss Elizabeth from a chair shot) extended his career to today.

Yokozuna was untouchable, simply due to his mass.

Ric Flair in the old days was a wonderful and again untouchable heel due to his ability in the ring, he frustrated you by being right about how good he was. Now he takes a back seat, possibly due to his age and doesn't seem to be untouchable anymore.

The thing about a great heel, in my humble opinion, is their ability to frustrate the crowd with their untouchability, not since 1998 have I thought "I wish someone would cut him down a peg or two", or me sitting on the edge of my seat, hoping to God that the Heel doesn't win and good will prevail.

JBL is the first WWE Heel who has caught a glimpse of that untouchability, where I have found myself thinking "You really need to be brought down a peg or two matey". I think he can go further, especially if he goes down the Million Dollar Man route, it's tried and tested and we all know it works.

WWE's problem is that it is trying to be too different, always trying to change things and they are messing with tried and tested formulas. The offside trap in football maybe old school, but it works, the excitement is in a player beating it and the suspense it causes, just like a face finally defeating a heel!

and you thought you wrote essays? hehe

Right, well back to bed for me, i'm am dying of flu here.

Saracen

• Like 2

I think Saracen pretty much hit the nail on the head! He will be rewarded with a reputation point from Boyo, too. But I'll add one extra argument to his.

You've seen all these Hollywood films where there are people who the producers want you to like: they are loving, are in families, are smart, and live in the suburbs, usually in the mid-West? Nauseating, aren't they?

And contrasting to them you get the villains who always, ALWAYS live in New York, are stinking rich, are ruthless businessmen and somehow are EVIL because of this?

Think of that film "Sweet Home Alabama", and now make that Witherspoon character JBL. Sweet, intelligent guy from Texas, moves to New York and becomes rich, and suddenly - WHAM BAM!! - he's evil.

As Saracen mentioned, it's a tried and tested formula, and the guy is untouchable, and can back it up with the delivery of the best clothesline in the business, and probably the best mic skills.

Perhaps Spiritchaser answered his own question: maybe it's fun for smarks to bash JBL because he is actually very good on the mic, generates heat, has one of the most over finishing moves in the business, and is a good actor - he's UNTOUCHABLE. It's frustrating isn't it? That's why smart-ass people like him nitpick.

I'm a fan of JBL, so sue me, I can see that he'll never be a dazzling wrestler like Chris Benoit but he is the absolute pinnacle of classic Federation Years villan.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Answering my own questions

I appreciate your candour chaps but I just don't hate the guy enough, HHH yeah ok, but JBL no, maybe it's because I'm so used to cheering him on as Acolyte Bradshaw or maybe I miss hating Brock so much it hurts. Lets see what TGAB brings for our hero.

Spiritchaser.

Flowing.

First off, JBL is going to be a great heel, was my belive from the first time I saw him. and still is.

he is not the best wrestler in WWE, but he is still good. but he is good enough to wrestler for the titel, and I like his matches. he got power, speed and uses it good.

Well, he's not my favorit wrestler at all....

But you've got to hand it to him, he gets the job done, both inside and outsides the ring. Not the most exciting person to watch, but not the worst either. And he is truly great with the mic.

I was actualy suprised that the was that good on the mic, actualy quite a shame that skill havent been put to any use before now.

As for his character, well i dident like to begin with - and i was sure it would crash and burn. But now i actualy start to respekt the guy as a decent heel.

And if he just keeps it comming, well he could have a bright future as a smackdown heel. But if he dosent win the title, he's gonna seem quite useless... to prove that he's here to stay he's got to win the title from Eddie - and actualy it will be nice to see Eddie loose that title... i respekt Eddies skills but i am getting so sick and tired of him and his latino gimmick...

But if bradshaw gets it, then who is gonna battle him? ....is Eddie going for revenge or are they going to move a new person into the title picture? ...Cena maybe?

what the f**k

what are u all thinking JBL just plain and simple sucks he sucked with farooq and he sucks now. i'm a firm believer in talent and JBL never had it a new pair of clothes a haircut and a new car don't give him talent just a gay ass gimmick that a 5 yearold could have come up with. If u want some real talent for a shot at eddie look at Cena he has it all the look,the youth, and the outright physical and verbal talent.

wrestling talent don't get you anywere if you don't got verbal talent. And JBL is great on the mic, everybody hates him, he is doing his gimmick great.

but okay, JBL don't got that much wrestling talent, but he got enough, the match with Eddie was a good match. And to me it seems like he is becomming a better wrestler.

Cena is no were near a good wrestler, he has latly showen to improve. but before that, all his matches was allmost the same. But he got the verbal talent, just like JBL. In a year, when Cena have improved his wrestling skils, then he is ready to fight for the title.

And kinda agree on the Cena part .... he's been doing very bad in the ring lately... its just the same over and over ....and over again....and the same thing on the mic....

But the past 2 shows he's been back to his old "in your face attitude" ...and i just hope he keeps it comming ...but i likes him better as a heel...

But Cena actualy did alot of great matches in the past ...with Kurt Angle ...Big show ...and Brock ... i dont know if its because those guys carried the matches ...or if its just because that Cena is actualy getting worse in the ring .... or just because he's been fighting against Dupree ...those matches have all been sooooo boring...

Cena is no were near a good wrestler.

I'm sorry my friend but you obviously are no cena fan cause simply put he is better than JBL. Yet booker T is also capable to go for the strap he has demonstrated his championship abilities over and over again. Bad blood is shaping up to be a momentus event especially when Kane destroys no talent benoit and Orton finally crushes that half assed benjamin.

I'm sorry my friend but you obviously are no cena fan cause simply put he is better than JBL. Yet booker T is also capable to go for the strap he has demonstrated his championship abilities over and over again. Bad blood is shaping up to be a momentus event especially when Kane destroys no talent benoit and Orton finally crushes that half assed benjamin.

What the hell is wrong with you dude?

How can you critize others opinions on wrestling talent when your saying that Benoit is a no talent!

Benoit is one of the greatest and hardest working wrestlers today, and maybe ever....

And then you call benjamin a half ass... benjamin is one of the biggest young talents, and he's got a bright future ahead of him.

(Even though i hope Orton beats him at badblood - Orton mark :))

But yes Badblood does seem to be one hell of a show, but what in gods name has that got to do with this topic?

Edited by TheHawk
  • Like 1