Derren Brown - Seance

Dead Crow

Do you believe in the spirit world?

At 10.35pm on Monday 31 May, Derren is bringing together 12 specially selected members of the public to attempt a televised séance. And he wants you to join in, too.

To take part you will need: empty glass, candle, pen & paper, letters of the alphabet. - Channel 4

Anyone else watching/taking part?

A seance is when a group of people get together to try and use their energy in order to "contact the dead". I've you've ever seen those movies where a bunch of people are sitting round a table going "if you can hear me, please give us a sign". And some guy under the table's moving something. That's a seance...

What Derren Brown is doing is slightly different. I'd be guessing he'll be feeding us subliminal messages right the way through the show in order to pursuade us to think of something.

Derren Himself does not believe in ghosts or the paranormal and that's why this show should be even more interesting. I think a part of him wants to prove it's all fake so he's doing this to show how easy it is to fake it.

for more go to channel4.com/derrenbrown

Yeah he did one, and that is some seroiusly wrong s!%t... My grandfarther was a spiritulist and he hated them, you don't meddle with them because they can be dangerous and jusr trust me on this ok...

The fact that he performed one on tv and encourged people at home to do the same is insane, my bro did one at his old house across form the cemetry and the place and the house next door became unbearable places, the air was thick with tension and fear... The taps turned on at night, I saw a man on the stairs when I stopped their for the last time and he went through the wall into next door...

The house is now boarded up and no one lives their and I can still feel something watching me when I go past it now. All this because of a Ouijia board.

It was so weird! he told this group of students this "story" about 12 students commiting suicide at this place 12 years earlier. He did various experiments to show what the mind can do when you don't realise your doing it, and he laid out 12 pictures of these students, and everyone was drawn to Jane. They then did an ouija board, which spelt out the name jane, and they did a seance where Jane was supposed to be talking to them. Then he got out a letter from "janes family" explaining some of her life, and played a video of "her" in the backround. The biggest twist was at the end, when he went outside and actually fetched Jane, the supposed suicide victim, so in otherwords, he gave them a story, and there mind made up the rest for them. Extremely interesting program.

I turned off at the Ouijia board part, it was unbearable bacause of past experience, I would want no part of one.

The mind though will play tricks on you though and it can be easily led, think about it, when you dream or trip out all the things you see are produced by your brain... If it can make these things seem real imagine what esle it can do.

From the minute he changed the people holding the glass on the ouija board, I knew he was playing mind tricks with them.

Derren Brown is an incredible performer, but at the end of the day, that's all he is - a performer, an illusionist... but he does make great TV shows. Whether it was a fake or not, it was gripping to watch.

Fantastic television, even though I know all about the dangers of spiritulism. My family were very strongly into the occult and my mom still can read Tarot cards (and does for a very low price if you pay in advance :P). So I know partly of the dangers from whats been explained. And the fact she's taken Psychology courses, she pretty much guessed everything bar Jane being alive, cas that's what it was - a combination of "spiritulism" and moreso of psychology of the mind.

Just shows how powerful the mind really is when it's given something to run with.

My take on the whole thing? It could have been done fairly easily with a bit of hypnotisim. My guess is that all 12 volunteers were hypnotised prior to the show. If you've ever seen Derren's Friday night show on C4, you'll be familiar with the bit where he puts people to sleep over the phone. It's an easy enough thing to do. He hypnotises someone, tells them to answer a payphone in the street, person walks by the ringing phone, Derren says "sleep" or whatever over the line and the person falls to the ground in a state of unconsciousness. What he did with the Seance is essentially the same thing; a little bit of off-stage hypnotism, followed by a "top up" on camera to get them doing what he wanted.

Let's look at it bit by bit. The first thing, when they're behind the curtain. The person could have easily been hypnotised to throw things while in a trance when they hear the curtain close. Look at the way that Derren closes the curtain, he does it very enthusiasticly creating a fair bit of noise.

When they pick the photo, it could all be related back to hypnotism. Maybe when they were in a trance, "Jane" walks in and implants herself in their mind. It's basic psychological stuff that the unconscious mind picks up on, and influences everything we do.

The next thing, where they write the city, wasn't really too shocking. They could have both recieved all kinds of subliminal messages relating to London.

Now, the Ouija board was a whole lot of pish. You don't have to be the world's smartest man to know that everything Derren was saying was influencing them. By changing the people doing it, and by getting on at them that it'll move in time, the people were just itching to move it. Maybe they weren't aware that they were doing it, but let's face it, the students themselves were pushing it around. If 10 of the 12 had Jane's name in their mind, they're obviously going to move the glass to each of the four letters of the name.

The thing with the girl going into the room number 7 could be put down to the fact that we don't see what's on the door. The doors could have been coloured or there could have been a hundred different things influencing why she went inside.

The final bit, with the bell, trophey and ball, was a bit of a joke. Derren was perfectly happy to show everyone the bottom of the Ouija board table, but never insisted they looked at the last table. There could have been hydrolics under the table, shoogiling it about like an Eddie Guerrero lowrider. In the dark, with all the comotion, it's not entirely unfeasible that there was someone under the table moving things around.

The bit with the girl speaking as Jane could have been done with hypnotism, and it would have been really easy for a crew member to write down everything that "Jane" was saying, pop it in an envelope and stick it in the girl's pocket. I don't think she'd have been too focused on a wee touch of her jacket while there's supposedly a flippin' ghost doing cartwheels infront of her.

There were a million and one things that could have been set up by Derren and his crew in the program, but that doesn't mean it wasn't great to watch. I've been a massive fan of his work for years and years, long before he became the household name he is today. Part of the fun of these shows, to me at least, is try to guess how he does the stuff that he does, so although the above sounds really critical, I actually sat through the whole program without once turning over to Total Recall. That's how good it was.

i personally was thinking of dave when he did that photo exercise. And I would have liked to have seen the replay from the camera above the spirit chamber when that guy supposedly broke the restraint, but the never showed it

I do believe it was all set up and fake, just like the russian roulette was, but it was quite exciting to watch. It even got me turning over from Most Haunted on UK Living