Name Game

Paul

Hey all, after a (very surreal) conversation with Walshy I became interested to know, what do your names mean? My full name -Paul Simon Kelly- translates as either-

1* The small, snub nosed Celtic warrior

2* Tiny pacifist

Depends on how you want to view it! What do all yours mean/translate into?

Behindthename.com gives some meanings of names :)

anyway, Nicole means victory of the people, Jayne hasn't got a proper meaning, but apparantly comes from John, and Carroll is irish, and means hacking with a weapon

so my full name: Victory of the people from John hacking witha weapon. How weird.

thanks nicole

well, according to that site, Charlotte is a pet feminine form of Charles, which means manly, or kingly. My middle name, which remains my knowledge only, means idol or image. Doesn't have a meaning for my last name.

I got this:

Derived from Greek petros meaning "stone". In the New Testament Jesus gave the apostle Simon the name Cephas (meaning "stone" in Aramaic) which was translated Peter in many versions of the Bible (compare Matthew 16:18 and John 1:42). Simon Peter was the most prominent of the apostles during Jesus's ministry and he is considered by some to be the first pope. This name was also borne by Peter the Great, the czar of Russia who defeated Sweden in the Great Northern War in the 18th century.

Well, i have just checked out the site Nicole suggested. And i got pretty much the same as before :

The meaning of this name is not known for certain, though it possibly means either "little rock" or "handsome" in Breton. It was introduced to England by Bretons after the Norman invasion. Famous modern bearers include Alan Shepard, the first American in space and the fifth man to walk on the moon, and Alan Turing, a British mathematician and computer scientist.

Handsome eh? it was just meant to be :D

Daniel -

From the Hebrew name Daniyel meaning "God is my judge". Daniel was a Hebrew prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament. He lived during the Jewish captivity in Babylon, where he served in the court of the king, rising to prominence by interpreting the king's dreams. The book also presents Daniel's four visions of the end of the world. Famous bearers of this name include English author Daniel Defoe, Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli, and American frontiersman Daniel Boone.

Russ- Pure dead sexy. Everyone is jealous of people called Russ. Comes from the acient Hebrew for "Coolest Guy Alive". Fancied by loads of people. Is hung like a camel.

Thanks to Russland's name meaning machine for that.

CHRISTOPHER: Means "bearing Christ", derived from Late Greek Christos combined with pherein "to bear, to carry". Christopher was the legendary saint who carried the young Jesus across a river. He is the patron saint of travellers. Another famous bearer was Christopher Columbus, the explorer who reached the West Indies in the 15th century.

Thats me. ;)