Favourite guitar solo

Hey,

We've had favourite riffs discussed (check that thread if you're not sure about the difference between a riff and a solo), but what about favourite guitar solos? What are some of your favourites? Having just listened to one of mine (Satriani's 'Crushing Day' has a brilliant soloing section in it), I thought this might make an interesting thread for those of us who like guitar-based music.

Here are some of mine:

1. Thin Lizzy Waiting For An Alibi

2. Metallica One

3. David Lee Roth Hot Dog And A Shake (played by Steve Vai)

4. Van Halen Eruption

5. Ozzy Osbourne Mr Crowley (played by Randy Rhoads)

6. Led Zeppelin In My Time Of Dying

7. Joe Satriani Crushing Day

8. Motörhead Ace Of Spades (which I can play \m/)

9. Iron Maiden Wasted Years

10. Status Quo Backwater

Not that you have to list as many as that, but what would some of your favourite solos be?

3. Innuendo - Queen

DID YOU KNOW?

The fantastic spanish guitar interlude in the last third-or-so of that song was played by Steve Howe - used to be in Yes. I was surprised when Matt (guy at work - big Queen fan) told me this a few months ago as it's not like Brian May's not a tremendously talented guitarist. Maybe they're friends or something and he just happened to be there at the time?

Maybe Howe was more familiar with the style. Brian May is a great rock guitarist, but other disciplines require different techniques. I'm sure Brian May could have done something suitable, but maybe Howe knew more about it. That or it could just have been another guest name to whack on the album credits.

Maybe Howe was more familiar with the style. Brian May is a great rock guitarist' date=' but other disciplines require different techniques. I'm sure Brian May could have done something suitable, but maybe Howe knew more about it.[/quote']

Probably right. I don't think I've ever heard BM play anything particulary fast in a "strummy" style. Man, my knowledge of guitar terminology is pooh!

1. Metallica - One

2. R.A.T.M. - Guerrilla Radio

3. Iron Maiden - Ghost of the navigator

4. Audioslave - Like a stone

5. AFI - Dancing through Sunday

6. Metallica - Blackened

7. GnR - Sweet Child O'Mine

8. S.O.A.D. - Soil

9. Dead Kennedys - Police Truck

10. Led Zep - Stairway to heaven.

Metallica - The Frayed Ends Of Sanity

Pantera - Pyscho Holiday

Pantera - Domination

Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train

Black Sabbath - Iron Man

Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast

Van Valen - Eruption

Guns N Roses - Paradise City

Skid Row - Youth Gone Wild!

Metallica - Blackened

That's just ten off the top of my head. I like loads.

• 3 weeks later...

lol kirk hammett solo's, the less sais about them the better. If at first u dont suceed just put loads of wah on it, so it overtones the actual content. As to fave solo's erm Tony Pulluso for The Carpenters Goodbye To Love, Joe Walsh on Hotel California, Angus Young on You Shook Me All Night Long, Steve Vai on Ladies Nite In Buffalo, Eddie Van Halen on I'm The One, Jeff Beck Where Were You, Hendrix on All Along The Watchtower, Tom Morello on Know Your Enemy, and gotta agree with Liraman, Waiting for An Alibi, and China Town for the Lizzy Boys. oh and the odd live bit by the likes of SRV, and Blackmore, oo and perhaps Steve Howe on Yours Is No Disgrace.

And to clear up the Howe thing, May did the original bit, Howe then played it, and May preferred the way Howe did it, so said he should. Thus there you go, as you know Brian can play it as he does the electric part.