United Sign Smith

Vampiro

He'll kiss the jersey a lot, score a few goals (a lot less than Van Nistlerooy, mind), he'll no doubt cause a riot if he ever plays against Leeds, he'll get sent off, he'll kiss the jersey some more, then he'll be sold on. How long all this takes to go down is another matter altogether

One thing that bothers me, if I was Leeds till I die I wouldn't sign for Man U at all, I know its a smart career move and all but if I came out and said that while they were fighting for our lives and then spat on the ideas the fans see as Leeds (against Utd, loyality etc) by signing for Man U.

If Leeds hadn't have got relegated and had not worked themselves into such a financial quagmire that they have no choice to sell Smith to the highest bidder - relegation or no relegation - then I have no doubts that Smith would have stayed at Leeds.

He may be born and bred Leeds, supports Leeds, loves Leeds and loves Leeds' fans. But do you think he owes a club his loyalty when they cannot honour his wages AND are selling him no matter what?

Even if Smith begged to stay they would have sold him. So who better to go to than Man Utd - the most successful British club in 10 years?

Alan Smith owes the Leeds fans nothing. No explainations. It's Peter Ridsdale who owes the fans.

Cheers!

I cant see Smith being very effective at Man U, he is a very inconsistent player who will not deliver week in week out for the Reds. He spends most of his time either injured, off form and/or suspended. Fergie & co need a top, reliable striker to partner Ruud, especially if they want to mount a decent challenge for the title next season.

smith has helped leeds by moving. at the moment they need all the money they can get and i doubt leeds would be too bothered if the money comes from united. too many people are forgetting alan smith supports Inter Milan not leeds, this suprised me when i read about it so leeds fans shouldnt take it personal

He will in all probabilty be second to Saha and Ruud and be on the bench but he is young and maybe Fergie can get the best from him...

As for my point on Smith, a lot of offers supposedly came in for him, but you know the rumour mill over here and well, if as a Leed's die hard I was offered (and this was mentioned) Juventus or Man U, were would you think I'd choose?

well we all know fergie has the nack to get the best outta players who maybe havent performed good/consistenly etc, but i think he will surprise people because i can see him doin good for united but next season i cant see him getting ahead of saha him and ruud have each scored 20 goals this season i know saha scored 13 for fulham but still smithy will warm the bench for a while....plus someone gets injured he pounces on the chance and could play well and another good thing about smithy is he is very passionate about football - i for one am glad united bought him,if u can waste 7 million on forlan then can take a gamble on smithy

£7 million on a player who can't score, can't pass and is one of the most overrated players in the Premiership. If United wanted a good striker they should have gone with Viduka, who has proven every season he is one of the best strikers around today.

Maybe Houllier has gone to Man Utd, we all know he likes to spend millions on overrated players who are average at best.

True he is lazy, but he is still shown that he is better than most players of his size. Plus he will always score goals when given the chance, unlike Smith who struggles to score on an open net!

Viduka at United or any top club would score 15-20 goals a year, Smith will be lucky to make 10.

And the fact is Walshy, Smith has this season scored 10 goals (or is it more?) in a religated side with very little support from his lazy fat ass partner... Milner and Smith did their best with Robison to drag them out and it didn't happen...

We'll just have to wait till next season to see what goes down.

In my eyes smith is a lying scumbag and just sums up what it is all about in football these days,people kissing club badges and saying they would never sign for certain teams and saying how much they love the fans,all a load of crap!

hey calm down guys, or feel my wrath :evil :P !

Anyway Pento does have a point in the fact that many players these days seem to forget that thing called loyalty. One week a player will kiss his clubs badge, claim he loves the team and will never leave, then a few weeks later jumps ship and does the same there. However Alan Smith does have good reason to leave Leeds, as CJ said the club needed to sell their better players in order to reclaim some of their debt and if they didnt then administration would be looming for LUFC. Both the club and their fans should be worried about their financial situation and whether they will get back up next season rather than the loyalty of their players.