uk scene Vs US scene

FWF

Differing market areas for a start. You look at the fan base in the US and in the UK and the age range of most fans is much older in the US. However, some UK feds (such as FWA) are starting to build a more "adult" (well teenage and up) fan base. A lot of small UK feds tend to draw a family crowd which is a big difference to the US

To start with i would say the main thing that differs between the two is the money involved. In the states huge sums of money are poured into the companies, whereas over here i dont think even half of what is used over in the US is spent here. Also you have the sports entertainment aspect of things. Companies such as NWA:TNA and the WWE concentrate on that side of things, whereas many UK promotions give more emphasis on the wrestling aspect.

Between the FWA and the US indies, there is practically no difference, except the US indies are generally better.

Between the actual scenes, there's a whole heap. The styles themselves are quite different, as are the audiences, and productions too.

Most states in the us require licences to promote and wrestle. Most new promoters have to place a bond of around $10,000 to the state commission. This helps stop ruthless wannabe promoters.

I honestly dont think there is that much difference in styles, each promotion in the US has thier own styles pretty much like here in the UK. Some areas of UK promoting still use the older school of wrestling styles, rounds, public warnings etc.

I think the UK is influenced by the US scene more now, I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing. Now thewrestling channel has started people now have the chance to see different styles and this I think could work int he favour of all the UK styles.

The main difference between US and UK wrestling is the culture, UK fans are a lot more reserved in their reactions to action than US fans.

I remember reading Steve Logan's Interview, where he said that in Britain people were more interested in the technical ability of the wrestler, but when he went to Stampede, he found that if he pulled the same thing off he would get Boring chants.

I think also British audiences hold on too dear to the fact that Wrestling is "fake", which is why you tend to get a better pop from British audiences when a move looks painful. Also, if the heel pulls off a particularly spectacular move, regardless of if they were baying for his blood a few moments ago, they will applaud the wrestler.

American fans take their wrestling seriously, whereas older Britons tend to see wrestling as a bit of a laugh, a load of fun to entertain them, perhaps a bit like a pantomime.

Then of course there is the money, production values and TV, but that is obvious to everyone. Personally, If UK wrestling was to get a hold on the UK, then it would have to go terrestrial rather than TWC, as then everyone would have an opportunity to see it, you listening channel 5?

Heh, I was gonna do a tenet about this subject, so I'll keep watching this space.

Saracen

Its a commen misconception that wrestling over in the USA is better than the UK!..

Let me tell you how i saw it the 3 times i went over there, US wrestling is even more on its arse than british wrestling will EVER be, in Minisota alone theres something like 200 promtions, only about 2 - 3 are any good, and by any good i mean there standard over here would be avarage to good compared to say the FWA.

The problem with the US is, theres a shit load more people wanting to wrestle and a shit load more people wanting to promote, means theres a shit load of SHIT.

People say the US is were its at if you wanna wrestle, sure theres some good promtions out there, but for every 1 good promtion in the USA theres littraly 100 REALLY bad ones.

The only thing working in the USA ever taught me is a love for British wrestling and it showd me that British wrestling will be the best wrestling in the world in a few years time, but only if things chainge over here and people start learning to wrestle befor going out taking bookings, and promoters ONLY book wrestlers that CAN wrestle and not just wrestlers that dont charge in order for them to save money!

Thank you all for your replies,

While i am in the US and watch US wrestling I have to say i am very disappointed with wwe and how they are having tours across the world showcasing and parading that they are the best wrestling company in the world...or at least they think they are but they are NOT and if you see there ratings here in the US they are nothing like what they once were. Its a shame that here in the US we don't have many great feds like over in the UK :( i mean yeah we have TNA as well as some other smaller feds but from a fan of WRESTLING not sports entertainment...id say the UK fans are very lucky that they get to see real wrestling and not some soap opera show with wrestling breaks in between the talking...so id say the UK fans are more lucky.

IMO...the difference between the US scene and the UK scene...the US is trying to be more like a talk show...and over seas in the UK they are more set on wrestling and less talking which is how it should be! the US wrestling feds need to do that..if they do that then maybe...just maybe there ratings will be better.