Robert Carlos

Cactus Jack

Well, the big story with him is that it seems likely he is going to join Chelsea, but that isn't really what this thread is about.

You see, does anyone actually rate Carlos? As a left back? I've never seen him make a decent tackle, and if I was ever his manager, I'd feel with his pace he'd be much better as a winger. Ashley Cole's the same; a defender who can't defend.

Views?

Roberto Carlos is a magically gifted footballer with a very special left foot indeed. You quite simply cannot leave this man out of your starting 11. He can pass, shoot, tackle, has pace, fitness, intelligence, strength, influence and quite sublime instant control.

I would rather him play on the left midfield or centre midfield but, I suppose, if the guy says he wants to play at left back you play him at left back.

He defends like a demon, btw. Had Beckham in his pocket in World Cup 2002.

Cheers!

Carlos can defend, at Old Trafford he ran forward and then ran all the way back, near enough till the last man to fend off attacks... only the last time that Beckham played against him did Beck's get any luck and thats because he was playing to prove a point and put himself in the shop window....

Carlos has been the natural successor to Maldini as the worlds best left back for years.

When i first saw Carlos play i thought "wow, this guy is a fantastic midfielder", he looks like a player who is all over the field, going up front for attacks, and rushing back to defend. It took me a while to realise he was a left back. I dont think there is any doubt that he is a great player, and IMO he should be a midfielder especially with that amazing left foot.

Ashley Cole is slightly different i believe, he stands out as an outstanding left back. He does attack but not as often as Carlos, Cole is also IMO the best left back in english football today.