16 members have voted

1. 1. Most missed

• Elvis
    • Sinatra
    • Kurt Cobain
    • Richy Edwards
    • John lennon
    • Other, please specify.

I would have to say Freddie Mercury is the musician i most miss. As the lead singer of one of the best bands ever he touched millions (hey watch it!) with his music which still lives on today. As a band Queen were fantastic, creating some absolutely fantastic songs and albums, and as far as i know were the only band to have every member write number 1 songs. Freddie was an outstanding singer and musician, without him music would not be what it is today.

I would have to say Freddie Mercury is the musician i most miss. As the lead singer of one of the best bands ever he touched millions (hey watch it!) with his music which still lives on today. As a band Queen were fantastic' date=' creating some absolutely fantastic songs and albums, and as far as i know were the only band to have every member write number 1 songs. Freddie was an outstanding singer and musician, without him music would not be what it is today.[/quote']

What he said. :thumbsup

That was quite spooky as I hadn't read the thread before voting... :eek

*edit: it was not quiet spooky.

John Lennon' date=' I'm a huge Beatles fan so have listened to all of Lennons music, its quite sad that he still isn't here to day as he was truely an Icon for Billions, and probably was bigger than Jesus.[/quote']

I pretty much agree with that, apart from the Jesus comment but I assume that was a joke. John Lennon was a massive icon and a true genius. The word is far too overused nowadays but the word actually applies to this man. it was such a tragedy that he was murdered.

Freddie Mercury would be a close second. In my view, he's greatest singer in rock history (though Frank Sinatra has the best voice in music history for me) and by far the greatest showman. I, like many others around my age, would love to have gone and seen them live. He was also an incredible songwriting talent. I'm starting to just state the obvious now so I'll stop.

Alan' date=' didn't Queen oly have 2 songs at No1? Bohemian Rhapsody (twice) and Under Pressure with David Bowie?[/quote']

Nick Drake was never the greatest commercial success - does it mean his influence over modern bands is any less?

I'm pretty sure Innuendo went to number one as well.

Its not very often i do this, so please savour this moment. I was wrong :( After a bit of research i have found that Queen are the only band to have every member write a top 10 HIT, and due to my generous nature i can now provide you with all their top ten hits and the year in which it was a hit. Under Pressure is not in the list due to it being a collaboration.

Pos Title Date

10 Seven Seas Of Rhye Mar 1974

2 Killer Queen Oct 1974

1 Bohemian Rhapsody Nov 1975

7 You're My Best Friend Jul 1976

2 Somebody To Love Nov 1976

2 We Are The Champions Oct 1977

9 Don't Stop Me Now Feb 1979

2 Crazy Little Thing Called Love Oct 1979

7 Another One Bites The Dust Sep 1980

10 Flash Dec 1980

2 Radio Gaga Feb 1984

3 I Want To Break Free Apr 1984

6 It's A Hard Life Jul 1984

7 One Vision Nov 1985

3 A Kind Of Magic Mar 1986

3 I Want It All May 1989

7 Breakthru Jul 1989

1 Innuendo Jan 1991

1 Bo Rhap/These Are The Days Of Our Lives Dec 1991

2 Heaven For Everyone Nov 1995

6 A Winter's Tale Dec 1995

9 Let Me Live Jun 1996

As to the writers, i will just mention one written by each band member.

Seven Seas of Rhye written by Freddie Mercury

You're My Best Friend written by John Deacon

Flash written by Bryan May

and finally Radio Ga Ga written by Roger Taylor.

On a side note, just a snippet of info i have recently discovered, they are the only band to have 4, yes 4 albums in the top twenty at the same time!

• Like 1

Interesting, 4 at once! Good job Alan, you've more than made up for any mistake, past or present with that info. I'd never even heard that to forget it!

But what about the song they released as a tribute to Princess Di and Freddie? It may have been missing Mr Mercury, but it was still billed as Queen.

'One By One Only (The Good Die Young)' I belive.

Edited by Paul

For me it would probably be Phil Lynott for music even though his post-Thin Lizzy stuff is somewhat ropey. I accept that he wasn't the most influential musician ever but as a big Thin Lizzy fan I would say that for me personally I would have him back over anyone else. Failing him it would maybe be Elvis, or either Bon Scott or John Bonham, just for the prospect of being able to hear some AC/DC with Bon singing or a Led Zeppelin reunion.