PC Music software

A.C.

I've decided that this (rather than Video Games) would be the right forum for this one...

I used to use Music 2000 on the old PlayStation and, for what it was, it was brilliant fun. I'm trying to find something in the same vein that's rather more powerful and is for the PC. I've tried ejay Music Director Gold but it (A) Doesn't seem to have any way of creating tunes (like a piano roll) and (B) it keeps crashing anyway. It goes back to the shop today.

So, can anyone recommend some sample/synth-based music creation software that's priced (and pitched) for the more amateur and less-likely-to-be-able-to-spend-years-learning-it type o' guy?

Cheers in advance. :xyx

Hey Mate,

I recommend Cubase, ive been using it for 7 months now and its fantastic. The programme uses Audio Tracks (for samples/voice tracks etc) VST instruments (high quality sound/ Beat Box etc) and MIDI (pretty much any instrument u can think of is in here). This piece of software also allows you to edit any other stuff you might have done e.g. if you've recorded a drum or guitar track yourself you can put it into Cubase and edit it.

I know pretty much everything about this programme so if you wanna know anything else just PM me mate.

We had Cubase in the recording studio - I'm not sure but I think Lloyd's upgraded to some other overly-complicated program now. :?

I ended up picking up Music Studio Generation MM for £9.99 - looks like something from the more fun end of the market - plus it seems to mimic the functions that Music 2000 had. As long as I can use it to work up skeletons of tracks to take to the studio which we can then elaborate on with the REAL equipment it'll be fine. :xyx

i am going to buy or download a hip hop one (i cant remmeber the name) cos i downloaded the demo and it was really good especially since you could record your own voice and edit your favourite tracks. does anyone else download software? i recently downloaded fireworks mx and its tricky as hell but its fantastic, ive heard its really dear, can anyone tell me how much it would be? BTW its eJay the name of the hip hop thing.

i am going to buy or download a hip hop one (i cant remmeber the name) cos i downloaded the demo and it was really good especially since you could record your own voice and edit your favourite tracks. does anyone else download software? i recently downloaded fireworks mx and its tricky as hell but its fantastic' date=' ive heard its really dear, can anyone tell me how much it would be? BTW its eJay the name of the hip hop thing.[/quote']

I've got the ejay HipHop 4 program - bought it a few months ago, had a play around and decided it wasn't quite what I was after. You're welcome to it if I can dig it out - PM me your address if you like.

Cubase and Cakewalk seem to be the most popular ones. I'm thinking of updating my PC to be able to record stuff as well (instruments though, not for sampling really), so I'm quite interested in learning about software packages and PC equipment needed as well. However, I would have said that you might want something more specific for sampling than Cubase or Cakewalk, but it seems as though you've looked into it and have made your choice already, which is cool.

Actually Sharpshooter, what setup do you have with Cubase, and how much did it cost you to get all of your gear? I would use Cubase but I only have a rubbish Pentium II computer which takes ages to do anything, plus Cubase costed about 270 quid last time I looked and I don't fancy paying that for it. How much do you think it would cost or how much did it cost you to put some decent recording equipment together on your PC? Also, do you think you could use a Cubase programme with a laptop for recording? Cheers if you can answer any of that.

Edited by MillionLiraMan