Films Vs Books

Paul

Film Vs Book  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Film Vs Book

I have been reading a lot of books recently that have film adaptions, almost always I have been disapointed with the film version. So I just wondered what everyone else thinks. 1984 film or book? Running man? Tommyknockers? Jaws? It?

You get the point.

• Like 1

The fact is, a book allows you to be the director. You choose the casting, you choose the delivery, the lighting, the cinematography and so on. The author is your screenplay writer, and in your head your creating your version of the author's story.

The film, on the other hand, is what the director took from the book. You're not getting your input into the process, you're seeing what the director thought the character looked like, how the lines should be delivered, how the lighting is set and how the symabolism affects the audience's perceptions. Without using these fancy buzzwords, the film of the book is the director saying "That was good, but here's what I think should happen...".

Sometimes it can work out well (The Godfather 1 and 2). Sometimes it can be a catastrophe (The Bourne Identity springs to mind, as they changed just about everything from the book, even taking out the main villan. About A Boy was also totally ruined to me by the casting of Hugh Grant. Will is supposed to be a lazy slacker who got through life by getting loans from his parents, despite not having any friends. Hugh Grant is an upper class toff who you'd expect to see at dinner parties, and is totally wrong for the part). The fact is, if you go into a cinema expecting to see exactly what you thought the events in the book were like, you're going to be disapointed. If you go in with a mindset of "let's just see where the director goes with this", you might end up liking it better than the book.

I find that the book originals are nearly always better than their film adaptations. My first experience of this was with the three Hannibal Lecter novels. I read all three in order (Red Dragon, Silence Of The Lambs and Hannibal) then watched the three films. While watching the films i found myself waiting for certain bits that i remembered from each book, and when they didnt appear i was quite dissapointed. I also noticed this with a couple of films adapted from John Grisham novels (A Time To Kill, The Pelican Brief, and The Runaway Jury).

The problem is that a book contains so much detail and can go off on a tangent without a second thought towards the length of it. With a film they have certain restraints as to the length of the picture and the detail they go into. After seeing films adapted from books i have noticed whole chunks of the story completely dissapeared from sight. I think my problem is that after reading a book going into all the details, i expect the film to do the same. That is why i prefer the Book versions, as i get very dissapointed if the film hasnt got the full story in it.

i voted for books heck even scripts are very good as i just got pulp fiction and have read Educating Rita and some Shakespeare and enjoyed the original at least as much or more than the film. I find especially plot can suffer in a book to film conversion, large portions of battle royale are altered or changed from the book even though the Movie is one of the best action movies i have seen. Jurassic Park is th eworst for this though... if hey had been faithful to the book it would probably have been a 15 or possibly an 18 with exploding raptors and ppl being gutted by non exploded raptors.

Alan, you say book origionals, but I have just read the adaption of Robocop (trashy or what), and its soooo much better than the film.

The thing is, i have never read a book adapted from a film. I didnt know it had even been done. But your opinion adds validity to my point that book versions are better than their film incarnates.

Except Bade Runner! The Phillip K Dick story its based on ( Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep ) is nowhere near as good as the film, much more surreal and origional, but not as good. In my humble opinion.

I have finished "The Da Vinci Code"; a theological thriller by Dan Brown that I have recently learned that Ron Howard ("A Beautiful Mind") is directing. After reading the book and being suitably impressed, I cannot actually visualise HOW they would make a film out of this. That is why directors are given such astronomical amounts of money, I suppose...

I also read "Hannibal" before it was made into a film and was very unimpressed indeed-a-roo. Mason Verger has a sister, God-dammit!! A bodybuilder who kills him with her bare hands!!

I guess they simply couldn't find a female bodybuilder who was a good enough actor. They could have asked Chyna...

Cheers!

Thats a great book Boyo, I read it about 3/4 years ago and loved it. Now though I'm a bit obsessed with David Gemmel books, but they'll never get made into films. Mind, who could play Druss? Stallone or Arnie perhaps.

I love books and films but I tend to say away from films made from adapting books and novels. Hannibal is as Boyo pointed out a classic example, they changed most of the book to suit the film and it was wrong! Catch 22 is a great book but only an average film...

Their are also several boks that should never be attempted to be made into film... The classic Discworld series, the Wasp Factory and the Crow Road and Long Road Out Of Hell (Marylin Manson autobiog). Oh and I thought 1984 film and book were both excellent, but I still for some reason prefer the book.

• 2 weeks later...