Federation or Entertainment? What is best?

Spiritchaser

Remember the bygone days of the WWF, Vince and whoever doing colour,either Jesse Ventura or The Brain and Gorilla, sometimes in between arguments good ol JR? In those days of kayfabe and everything must be done to protect the business. I sometimes pine for those days because even though it was a much more diluted product, it meant you literally counted the days until RAW. I personally waited from 1988 until WrestleMania 13 for 'Taker (Mean Mark) to take on Sid (Vicious/Justice/Psycho) and when the smoke cleared and all was said and done I was jubilant (except for Brett's interference) I was Larry or as happy as him anyway. Thats why i was pleased that WWE and it's brand extension brought about seperate PPV's, because it gives you more time to build a storyline and garner an emotional response, instead of hotshotting all the time. A small minded man once asked me why do you watch this it's all fake you know? I'm sure many of you have heard the same thing, my reply was simple " I also watch The X Files, please don't tell me there is no such thing as aliens." My point is i love to be entertained by people who love to do what they are doing, it comes across in their art. But at times i wish i could just go back to kayfabe and put the blind naysayers in a figure four and blast them off to Alpha Centaurii. Never mind the name which time do you prefer in WWF/E history?

Spiritchaser

Left.

i prefered WWF in 1994

Your really taking class spammer to heart Jack well done :roll

Anyway it really a federation of promotors anymore anyway so it cant really be WWF

Anyway 1997 through to the botched up invasion is my favorite time in the WWF

Your really taking class spammer to heart Jack well done :roll

Anyway it really a federation of promotors anymore anyway so it cant really be WWF

Anyway 1997 through to the botched up invasion is my favorite time in the WWF

REMLAPS BACK!! the guys who spammed my site 100s of times saying **** you

i thought it was only the internet?

anyway i liked the 1994 era and i am not going to write down a huge statement about it when that covers it

anyway i liked the 1994 era and i am not going to write down a huge statement about it when that covers it

I see your point, but I wish the board that marked my History paper had your attitude:

"Was Adolf Hitler Justified In His Actions To Take Germany To War"

Erm, No. Because I said and there's no point in me writing 6 pages on it.

Hmm, A*!

• Like 1

I personally thought WWF in 1999 was pretty dire as a wrestling product, though it was a huge success commercially. I think things really picked up when Austin had to take a year off, and they had to elevate HHH and come up with storylines that centred around something other than Austin v Vince

Good point GH. My favourite time started at the first hell in a cell match between taker and hbk(cause thats when i got sky back) and ended when all of the wcw crap began. Too many new wrestlers with no storyline all at once totally ruined it. But yeah during that great time it did go stale from time to time (i.e;if in doubt give stone cold the belt) I think just now is one of those moments.

Old school wwf (ultimate warrior etc) was classic but lookin back now it was only the ppv's that were good, the weekly shows were poor and to be honest the wrestling wasn't up to much,too slow and methodical. Not my taste

WWF ruled big time but WWE can be great, in time.

I preferred early-1990's WWF with the likes of Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Undertaker, Mr Perfect, Warrior and Razor Ramon battling out for the title.

I really enjoyed the WWF before this time, too though. I used to hate Earthquake with a passion, and used to hate Rick Rude with a passion. I loved Texas Tornado, Mr Perfect and Warrior but perhaps it was just a little too OTT with the gimmicks compared to a couple of years later?

Cheers!

I preferred early-1990's WWF with the likes of Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Undertaker, Mr Perfect, Warrior and Razor Ramon battling out for the title.

I really enjoyed the WWF before this time, too though. I used to hate Earthquake with a passion, and used to hate Rick Rude with a passion. I loved Texas Tornado, Mr Perfect and Warrior but perhaps it was just a little too OTT with the gimmicks compared to a couple of years later? QUOTE]

I agree with you Boyo, except for the OTT part. I liked the ehavy theatrics of the initial momentum gahtered in the 80's.

The greatest era is the WWF was 1987-1991. Hulkamania running completely crazy, Hulk vs Andre in the biggest and most important match of all time, slamming the Giant and cementing his legacy.

They had guys like the Bulldogs, Demolition, Hart Foundation, Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, Rockers, Jake Roberts, Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage etc and were HUGE.

WMVI, Hogan vs Warrior, the greatest event ever. I LOVED those old days. Seeing jobbers getting crushed on WWF Superstars of Wrestling every week, guys cutting promos in the little studio with their logos on the wall behind them. Every single guy meaning something, and more importantly, every single WWF title meaning something special.

Those days are long gone, but thanks for video tapes, I still relive my favorite events to this day.

God no! I hated seeing jobbers get messed up every match. What was the point? I want to watch wrestling' date=' not a slaughter![/quote']

The point was, they didnt give away matches on TV, which is turn made you that much more excited to see the PPV's, which in turn again made the PPV's seem that much more important.

All you hear these days is people say "Oh, I'm not going to pay to watch an episode of RAW!" There is a reason for that, and its cos WWE are giving away all their stuff for free, just for ratings.

But it made the weekly shows next to worthless. The PPV's are meant to be a bonus' date=' a treat.[/quote']

The PPV's may well be supposed to be a bonus or a treat, but you have to pay alot of money for that special treat, and when the fans are 'treated' to it every week, week in and week out, then the PPV's dont seem as special anymore, thus lower buyrates and less money.

We need to bring back the jobbers, have 50% of matches on RAW and SD! consist of jobbers getting hammered and the rest on building angles for PPVs using more footage from house shows like they did with the Eddie Guererro Mum heart attack angle.

That worked great, was very well done.