The Greatest Rif of all time.

Matt

Right guys ive just bought this months Total Guitar magazine which features the 100 greatest riffs of all time.

Anyway heres the top 20.............

20 = Killing In The Name - RATM

19 = Paradise City - Guns and Roses

18 = No-One Knows - QOTSA

17 = Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream

16 = Walk This Way - Aerosmith

15 = Aint Talkin Bowt Love - Van Halen

14 = Black Dog - Led Zeppelin

13 = Plug In Baby - Muse

12 = All Right Now - Free

11 = Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne

10 = Paranoid - Black Sabbath

9 = Voodoo Child - Jimi Hendrix

8 = Back In Black - AC/DC

7 = Master Of Puppets - Metallica

6 = Layla - Derek And The Dominoes

5 = Metallica - Enter Sandman

4 = Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple

3 = Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin

2 = Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

1= Sweet Child O Mine - Guns N' Roses

What Do You Guys Think?

Hmm. Riffs, as in 'guitar hooks' ('the catchy main tune bit on the guitar' if you like), rather than solos. That basically means that it's all down to opinion really doesn't it? I have a soft spot for that solo though Alan, even though I'm not a great Dire Straits fan (I find them a bit boring), that solo was the first one with which I experimented using tapping, which nowadays is a bit part of the way I tend to play. That seems like a long time ago now, probably because it was!

I have a lot more respect for Total Guitar than most music magazines, simply because it actually is a music magazine, offering guitar tips, instruction and transcriptions rather than just saying 'we like these bands and don't like these other guys so we're out to brainwash people by saying that they're the best or worst so that they have to like them'. Unlike those 'music' magazines (I won't name them all again), Total Guitar actually offers something musically positive. However, I still think that list is guilty of 'in' music pandering. Guns 'N' Roses and Nirvana have been on the music channels non-stop for pretty much the entire year at least, so they probably think their magazine will sell more if they blow them. The rest of the list is OK generally, I still think that Nirvana and Guns 'N' Roses could be included but having them at one and two was all that made me comment about that.

I also wonder why these magazines and the music press in general consider Free to have been such a great band. I thought they were ordinary, they had a grand total of about two hits (All Right Now and Wishing Well), yet they always seem to do well in polls for whatever the subject is. If they had a 'best 100 bands other than Free' poll, I'd still expect them to be placed in the top 40 in one of those 'not top ten but we consider them important' slots. I wasn't around at the time so maybe I missed the whole Free onslaught, but I never even thought that they were as good as Bad Company!

Personally speaking as a crap guitar player, the fact that I've learnt and played all of those riffs bar Black Dog (never felt like it, just prefer other Led Zeppelin tunes to play), Plug In Baby and No-One Knows shows that even those songs that I don't like can't have been bad choices. I'm sure the same would apply to many other guitar players. I think No-One Knows is another 'in' choice, I don't think it should be there, while with 'Plug In Baby' I think the same although it's perhaps more valid as Muse have more about them while Josh Homme is a crap guitarist. It will take one bold writer, one day, to watch him play then come out and say 'what's so special about him' and then the whole Homme bandwagon will come crashing down around him. As a songwriter that's down to personal opinion, but as a guitarist I think he's suspect. I could play what he plays and I suck, that's all I'm saying.

As the riffs thing is all about opinions though, why don't we give our own? I'll post mine in a bit when I can be bothered.

Edited by MillionLiraMan

I read your whole post MLM!!!

I think the list is pretty good, although I would have had New Born by Muse and Santa Monica by Everclear on it, but thats just my choice.

A few suspect enteries on the List, QOTSA definatly, its an alright song but not one of the greatest of all times! Franz Ferdinands Take me out was a better rif than No One Knows. But for some reason the press think Hommes is god's gift to music so 'whatcha gonna do'?

I can't believe you read my whole post Walshy - I thought you were smarter than that! ;)

Twenty of my current personal favourite riffs not mentioned there would be (in no order):

Van Halen Running With The Devil

AC/DC Thunderstruck

Motörhead Over The Top

Iron Maiden The Trooper

Black Sabbath Iron Man

Led Zeppelin Immigrant Song

Metallica Wherever I May Roam

Thin Lizzy Don't Believe A Word

Status Quo Whatever You Want

Deep Purple Bloodsucker

The Jimi Hendrix Experience Crosstown Traffic

Joe Satriani The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing

Steve Vai Bad Horsie

Rainbow Since You've Been Gone

Slayer Raining Blood

Iron Maiden Holy Smoke

Judas Priest Breaking The Law

ZZ Top Sharp Dressed Man

George Thorogood And The Destroyers Bad To The Bone

Pantera Walk

Not as memorable or as good a list for most people as the one given by Total Guitar, just what I might have favoured at the moment.

Does anyone else have any current favourites not mentioned on there?

I'm well pleased that Plug In Baby is on it. Sure it isn't an old song and isn't from a legendary group but I've heard the majority of those riffs in that list and Plug in Baby's is just as good as most of them, in my opinion.

I agree on the Queens of the Stone Age one though. Strange choice really as even in todays music scene thre have been better ones. I'll post my own ones later on or tomorrow.

Edited by The Crippler

MillionLiraMan,theres sum wicked tunes there:

bad to the bone,raining blood,the trooper,running with the devil,dont believe a word...excellent.

A mate says what about "rescue me" by y&t,as 4 me i just dont know where 2 start as there is too many but i do like sum soundgarden at the mo

I always liked the riffs from:

"Plush" by the Stone Temple Pilots

"Spoonman" by Soundgarden

"Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zep

"Sweet Child O'Mine" by GNR

and

"I Believe in a Thing Called Love" by the Darkness.

Cheers!

Polls like this always annoy me. I like the majority of the songs and I suppose it is all opinion but things like this are just a popularity contest. Before I even saw the list I knew Smells like Teen spirit would be top 3, not because I am a fan of the song (Although I must admit I am) but because Nirvana always feature highly because they are massively popular. Personally, my favourite riff is 'Money for nothing' by Dire Straits but there was little chance of it making the list because they are incredibly uncool nowadays.

This reminds me of a poll I saw once of the 100 greatest guitarists and Kurt Cobain finished a few places ahead of Mark Knopfler. Once again, all opinion, but if you know much about guitar there is very little contest. Sour grapes I know. Before the Nirvana fans jump on my back I would like to say that I like Kurt Cobain's music and think he is talented but he is the best example of popularity creating a myth.

Polls like this always annoy me. I like the majority of the songs and I suppose it is all opinion but things like this are just a popularity contest. Before I even saw the list I knew Smells like Teen spirit would be top 3, not because I am a fan of the song (Although I must admit I am) but because Nirvana always feature highly because they are massively popular. Personally, my favourite riff is 'Money for nothing' by Dire Straits but there was little chance of it making the list because they are incredibly uncool nowadays.

This reminds me of a poll I saw once of the 100 greatest guitarists and Kurt Cobain finished a few places ahead of Mark Knopfler. Once again, all opinion, but if you know much about guitar there is very little contest. Sour grapes I know. Before the Nirvana fans jump on my back I would like to say that I like Kurt Cobain's music and think he is talented but he is the best example of popularity creating a myth.

I see where your coming from i think that when the judges of these polls look at songs, rifffs, artists they dont just look at ability but how that person or song changed music. The riff for Teen Spirit isnt hard to play or complex in the least but its one of the most popular song ever and is the song that the majority of people think of when they think of Nirvana.

Mr Mistoffoles I rarely agree with you, but Money For Nothing is an absolutely classic guitar riff! Now that I think about that was my first occasion with any type of rock riff, cos my grandad used to always play it when I was like 3.

Hmmm anyway I don't like to be told what the best riffs ever are, or the best band ever or anything like this so I don't enthuse of this list too much. Pantera should be on there! Dimebag has ****ing satanic riffery! This list is basically a list of really popular songs with easily distinguished guitar parts.