Giggs

E2K

"It hurts to see them with our trophy, but we're honestly not worried about the gap. Ability-wise we are just as good as Arsenal - if not better. In fact, I still think we're better even if we haven't proved that this season".

So sayeth Ryan Giggs, as quoted verbatim from last Monday's Daily Star.

Now, where do I start?

Firstly, thanks Giggsy for once again showing that arrogance is alive and kicking at Old Trafford. That's right up there with Dwight Yorke's comment a couple of seasons ago that, because they won the FA Cup in 1999, and Chelsea won it in 2000 only because United had pulled out, that meant United were still the proper champions. Arse.

Secondly, even that infernal dumbass Gary Neville came out and congratulated Arsenal on their wonderful achievement. Would it have been so hard for Giggs to do the same? Obviously it was.

Newsflash Giggsy, my cocky little friend! The Premiership trophy is NOT the property of Man Utd. And you're NOT better in any way than Arsenal. Why? Because you lost nine times and they didn't.

Jesus, I mean I have no love lost for United, but I have great respect for what they did in '99, and I have no love lost for Arsenal either but this is also a great achievement that demands respect. Nothing more likely to piss me of than such a goddam lack of humility.

You knobhead Giggs.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its just propaganda, big talk to pump up him and the team, either that or someone as is the case with the Star, Sun and Mirror just misquoted him, it can happen. But as an on line representive of Man U may I just say for the final time - WELL DONE ARSENAL!

Better now.

Why don't we recall last year when Arsene Wenger said that Arsenal winning the FA Cup proved they were a better team than United even though United topped the table. :roll

The simple fact is that United lost 9 games more than Arsenal (27pts) but Arsenal only finished 15pts above United, so they were well within reach had we not been hampered by our manager playing stupid tactics and causing us to lose most of those 9 games 1-0 when we could easily have won them.

And lets also not forget the only reason Arsenal went unbeaten is cause they cheated a penalty against Portsmouth and van Nistelrooy missed a penalty against them.

Luck apparently "evens itself out", so Arsenal should be having several unlucky seasons to make up for this one.

Ed

Being a Welsh Gooner I love and hate Ryan Giggs.

When he's playing for Wales he is the influential, game-turning talisman. When he is playing for Man Utd he is the arrogant manc prick.

Giggs has a history of saying this; you can't go through a season without him and Gary Neville spouting their mouths off:

"Arsenal WILL lose, they HAVE to"

"There's GOT to be a chink in the Arsenal defence"

"We're still a better side"

etc etc etc.

I can only think of 4 players, Ruud, Scholes, Howard and Rio, who would get in the Arsenal side. But you're right: Giggs HAS to say stuff like this, and has probably been misquoted somewhere.

He'd be having a laugh otherwise.

Cheers!

as per usuall things players from big clubs say is changed by the media to make the story interesting, yeah well done arsenal for going the league season unbeaten, but many gooners are making it out that they went the WHOLE season unbeaten but this is false so as far as im concerned its 6 of one n half a dozen of the other as per usual is mind games/paper rants

I can only think of 4 players' date=' Ruud, Scholes, Howard and Rio, who would get in the Arsenal side. [/quote']

And how many Arsenal players would get into the United side? Erm, we'll that'd be Henry then! :lol

Pires could alternate with Giggs because I personally think Giggs is useless a lot of the time, though to be fair he's played out of position most of the time.

But you're right: Giggs HAS to say stuff like this' date=' and has probably been misquoted somewhere.[/quote']

I don't think it'd unreasonable to say United are as good as, if not better than Arsenal. We beat you in the FA Cup, and were a bad penalty away from beating you in the league. And we almost beat you at Highbury as well, so since we should have beaten you at least twice, and you didn't beat us once, who's the better team?

Ed

And how many Arsenal players would get into the United side? Erm' date=' we'll that'd be Henry then![/quote']

Well, erm...judging by me saying that Howard, Rio, Scholes and Ruud would get in the Arsenal side then it's pretty obvious is it not (?) that I think Kolo, Campbell, Cole, Pires, Ljungberg, Vieira, and Henry would get in the Man Utd side. In fact, to make things clearer:

GK: Howard

LB: Cole

CB: Campbell

CB: Rio

RB: Kolo

RM: Ljungberg

CM: Scholes

CM: Vieira

LM: Pires

ST: Henry

ST: RvN

Capiche?

I don't think it'd unreasonable to say United are as good as' date=' if not better than Arsenal. We beat you in the FA Cup, and were a bad penalty away from beating you in the league. And we almost beat you at Highbury as well, so since we should have beaten you at least twice, and you didn't beat us once, who's the better team?[/quote']

The team that won the league.

Cheers!

yes giggys did congratulate arsenal but why shoyuld he say that arsenal are better??what the hell would be the point in doin that a while before they are playin in the fa cup final(which they put arsenal out of) ok heres my team:

GK: Tim Howard

LB : Ashley cole

CB : Sol Campbell

CB : Rio Ferdinand

RB : Gary Neville

RM : Christiano Ronaldo

CM : Paul Scholes

CM : Patrick Viera (keane had not chance hardly playing)

LM : Pires

ST : Theirry Henry

ST : Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Sub 1 - Carroll

Sub 2 - Toure

Sub 3 - Keane

Sub 4 - Freddie Ljungberg

Sub 5 - Louis Saha

What Arsenal have achieved this season is fantastic, but there are a couple of things that seem to be overlooked. They went 38 games unbeaten, but only actually won 26 of them and got 90 points. In 99-00 United won 28 games, got 91 points and scored 97 goals both of which stand as Premiership records, if both teams had similar statistics Arsenal would have remained unbeaten and come 2nd, which was a big possibility this season until we fell apart in Feburary.

Going unbeaten is a fantastic acheivment, but as unlikely as it sounds it's possible to do so and get relegated, 38 points would be the total if all games were drawn, as most know thats often enough to see you down. Winning games is what football is all about, but towards the end of the season Arsenal seemed content with draws to keep the unbeaten record intact, where as if I were an Arsenal fan I'd have liked to see them go for the points record aswell.

Player for player theres not much between the two sides, Arsenal admittedly shade it at the moment, but we had a terrible run in and just fell apart, our finish to the season was not in line with the quality of our squad, Arsenal deserved to walk away with the tile but I don't believe we're 15 points worse that Arsenal.

Bottom line: Arsenal are better than Man. Utd at this moment in time. Not only did they finish unbeaten in the league, they got further in the Champions League as well. 'Nuff said.

And I just want to clarify that I didn't start this thread as a Man. Utd-bashing exercise. But I was very pissed off when I read what Giggs said for two reasons: firstly, cos he called it "our trophy" and secondly cos he said United are still better than Arsenal even though the facts would contradict that statement.

And as for dodgy penalties and the fact that United didn't lose to Arsenal this season, means nothing really. Anything can happen in one-off games. It's what you do over a whole season that separates the best from the rest.

When Giggs said that, was it before the last game of the season? If it was.. then technically it still was the property of Man Utd :P

Excuse me, but beating Arsenal once, and should have beaten them at Old Trafford, nearly beating them at Highbury means nothing? Overall Man Utd were the better team i thought in all 3 games we played Arsenal. In the FA Cup, you can tell they feared us. Man Utd and Chelsea are the only English teams to defeat Arsenal this year, and i think that does mean something. That means Arsenal are not an unstoppable force. It means there are better teams.

Before you can go around saying Arsenal are better bla bla.. they have to do what Utd have done.. and win the champions league.

The key word in the sentance, what Utd have done. If united were so great, they would do it again and stop living on past glorys. Arsenal have been an amazing team to watch this season, and noone can say anyone were the better team, or they would have been top.

Before you can go around saying Arsenal are better bla bla.. they have to do what Utd have done.. and win the champions league.

YES!!! I've been waiting for someone to say this, and I somehow suspected it would be either Vampiro or Ed who said it.

This is the argument Man Utd fans use to try to keep themselves one step ahead of everyone else, and this is a load a pap.

Yes, it's prestigious to win the Champions League, yes, I wish Arsenal would win it sometime soon, and yes, Manchester United deserve all the praise, all the kudos and all the respect they got for winning it in 1999. Anyone who argues that is a fool.

But to say going undefeated in the league doesn't compare to winning the Champions League is foolish. Borderline stoopid. Because, when push comes to shove, the Champions League is a knockout competition.

"What does that matter?" I hear Vampiro asking, well, look at this season's immediate major finals, the FA Cup and Champions League: Look at the teams involved, Man Utd, Milwall, Monaco and Porto.

Vampiro, do you think that on their day that Milwall could beat Man Utd? Porto beat Man Utd on what was certainly their day, and Mourinho certainly celebrated this! So, could Milwall beat Man Utd tomorrow? On paper? No. On their day? Yes. It could just be "one of those games" where everything goes Milwall's way and Man Utd play extremely poorly. It could happen.

Now, do you think that if the FA Cup final was played like a snooker final; best of 35 games, that Man Utd would win it? OF COURSE THEY WOULD. Why is this? Is it because Man Utd are a far better side than Milwall. Simple as.

Look at the two teams in the Champion's League final: I bet, Vampiro, that you'd fancy Man Utd to beat Monaco or Porto any day of the week, so would I, so why aren't Man Utd in the final? Because at Old Trafford vs Porto, EVERYTHING went Porto's way. If that match was played again Man Utd was spank Porto probably.

Every team who qualifies for the Champions League has a decent chance of winning it. Some more than others, obviously. EVERY SINGLE FOOTBALL CLUB IN THE WORLD AT ANY LEVEL has the chance to go the season undefeated, yet hardly any do. It's not about who can beat who on their day, it's about 9 months of utter top form, something which Man Utd are not capable of, and Arsenal are.

THAT makes Arsenal a better side and a better side, if I may add, by a country mile.

Cheers!

I don't think Arsenal have had 9 months of utter top form, just before Christmas when United got ahead in the championship, Arsenal were drawing games they really should have been winning, also around the time of the Champions League and FA Cup Semi Finals Arsenal looked anything but unbeatable.

As I've said earlier I don't want to take anything away from Arsenals achievement, because it is fantastic, but they did manage to scrape a few draws from the jaws of defeat. I bet any Arsenal fan would happily put a 1 or a 2 in the L column if it meant them emulating the immortals of '99.

Cheers.

So, you would rather your team be undefeated, and not win the champions league? Like, i think KJ said before.. you can get relegated and be undefeated. I would rather my team win the Champions league than be undefeated. But im not saying i dont respect Arsenal for doing that.. its a great achievement. Something they wont do again.. and a trophy which will only last a year.. as United will win it back next year. If we dont take it back, ill walk around the centre of Manchester Butt naked.. and you can hold me to that this time next year.

On their day Millwall could beat United. If United fielded a reserve team. No chance will they beat us this weekend.

And when you say Arsenal have been on form all season. Thats not true. That is a lie. Im focusing a little away from the Premiership. They had a bad bit of form when they got Knocked out of the Champs league and FA Cup in the same week. Then they ran scared and went for draws in the Premiership.

But it is a fact.. untill Arsenal win, and win consecutively like Man Utd have done.. you cant even begin to compare the two teams.

Edited by Vampiro

On their day Millwall could beat United. If United fielded a reserve team. No chance will they beat us this weekend.

I'm sorry but thats a comeplete quote of arrogance. I hope Millwall get it tomorrow now, I really do.

So' date=' you would rather your team be undefeated, and not win the champions league?[/quote']

No, Vampiro, that's not what I said at all. I merely claimed that it was slightly misplaced of you to not regard winning the Champions League and going undefeated in the Premier Legue in the same breath.

If we (Manchester United) dont take it (the Premier League title) back' date=' ill walk around the centre of Manchester Butt naked.. and you can hold me to that this time next year.[/quote']

Deal. Put the above quote in your signature and keep it there until this time next year. So everyone on TWO can witness your blind faith.

Thanks, Nicole, for reminding me!! I will repeat: Man Utd's second string couldn't beat West Brom! Bernd Haas scored, methinks..?

And when you say Arsenal have been on form all season. Thats not true. That is a lie. Im focusing a little away from the Premiership. They had a bad bit of form when they got Knocked out of the Champs league and FA Cup in the same week. Then they ran scared and went for draws in the Premiership.

Ok, I may have overplayed what I said about the 9 months thing...it was 8 months. But "running scared and playing for draws"? I don't think thumping Liverpool and Leeds at home, Henry scoring 7 in two games is running scared. We got a couple of draws once we had won the league with 3 weeks to go, I'll give you that. YOU lost 9 times, YOU bottled nearly a quarter of your games this season.

But it is a fact.. untill Arsenal win' date=' and win consecutively like Man Utd have done.. you cant even begin to compare the two teams.[/quote']

True enough, and that's why I bet you that Arsenal will win the league next season. AND the Champion's League.:)

Cheers!