best background music

Jack

Actually I listen to this sort of music quite frequently as words in songs don't really matter that much to me, certainly not as much as the instruments anyway. Favourites of mine include:

Mellower songs:

Ennio Morricone - Il Triello (The Trio)

Yngwie Malmsteen - Icarus Dream Suite Op. 4, Crying

Joe Satriani - Tears In The Rain, Into The Light, Day At The Beach (New Rays From An Ancient Sun), Until We Say Goodbye, Clouds Race Across The Sky.

Steve Vai - Tender Surrender, The Boy From Seattle, Salamanders In The Sun, For The Love Of God, Brandos Costumes (Gentle Ways), Whispering A Prayer, Feathers, Lighter Shade Of Green, Fever Dream, Hand On Heart.

Randy Rhoads - Dee.

Jamiroquai - Music Of The Mind, Journey To Arnhemland

Kicking it up a notch:

Eddie Van Halen - Eruption

Joe Satriani - The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing, Surfing With The Alien, Crushing Day, One Big Rush, Back To Shalla-Bal, Crystal Planet, Summer Song, The Extremist, Satch Boogie.

Steve Vai - Bad Horsie, Juice, Jibboom, The Attitude Song.

Yngwie Malmsteen - Far Beyond The Sun, Trilogy Suite Op. 5/Spasebo Blues (live).

Iron Maiden - Losfer Words (Big 'Orra), Transylvania (I think that's what it was called).

There are a few others but I think those are enough to mention. I love instrumental songs, but people become conditioned to listening to words and needing lyrics and singing, which I think is a shame. I suppose it's something to which people who perhaps don't play instruments can relate more, because singing lets them join in with a song, but I still think it would be nice to hear more genuine instrumentals (not just dance music with samples) and for people to have the chance to appreciate them more commercially. Unfortunately I can't ever really envisage the day when an instrumental will be given the all-clear to be launched as a single by a majorly popular artist, because it wouldn't work that well anyway. Joe Satriani's 1987 album Surfing With The Alien is apparently the biggest selling instrumental album of all time (although I don't know if that's still true), seemingly having even achieved a decent chart position in the United States, but I can't ever see something like that happening enough to change the way in which music is currently promoted.