The Next Intercontinental Champion?

Richard Flair

Hey

Well Randy is the longest reigning Intercontinental Champion in seven years. Eventually, someone will have to defeat him for the title, but who?

Right now, there are quite a few credible competitors. The are Shelton Benjamin, Edge, Christian (Heel, but still a threat), Matt Hardy, Rhyno and Tajiri. All six men could wrestle the title from Randy Orton at any day now. But which one is the most likely to take the title from Orton?

As from this week's Raw, it looks as if Shelton Benjamin will be facing Randy Orton at Bad Blood so he will be the first one to try and wrestle it away from Orton

• Like 1

Well, I could be made to look like a fool but I'll tell you all now...I haven't read that spoiler.

I can't see Orton losing the belt until he has held it for the longest time ever (subsequently I now I have a gut-wrenching feeling that the above spoiler says that Orton loses the belt on Raw...).

So as for the next IC Champion...Shelton @ Summerslam 2005...

Cheers!

Orton doesn't defend the Intercontinental title on raw. That is all I will say.

EDIT: Didn't see 2nd reply. I agree, Maven would make a good champion. I have always been a fan of his and a heel turn once he gets a character again will be great! But he needs some matches against people that can elevate him. A win over A-Train might actually be a good thing. He is big, strong and usually in squash matches. If small Maven can defeat him, then he will gain more respect and believeability if he would win over Orton in a few month's time.

Edited by Richard Flair

Edge

I would love Edge to be the next IC Champ he has done pretty well with it when he's been given the belt and the chance although he had some poor matches against William Regal in 2002 Edge deserves another chance though after coming back from injury anyone else agree?

lol, Edge deserves whatever he wins. After his matches last year for the Smackdown Tag Titles, he deserves the World Title. Well, mayb not deserves but can put a good name to it. I think the I/C title will take him down a peg as I see him breaking into the Main Event right now. We'll see though.

Orton doesn't defend the Intercontinental title on raw. That is all I will say.

EDIT: Didn't see 2nd reply. I agree, Maven would make a good champion. I have always been a fan of his and a heel turn once he gets a character again will be great! But he needs some matches against people that can elevate him. A win over A-Train might actually be a good thing. He is big, strong and usually in squash matches. If small Maven can defeat him, then he will gain more respect and believeability if he would win over Orton in a few month's time.

Thank god! someone other than me thinks Maven has a title holder look.

I know we're talking about the IC title but I once before said knowing wwe, maven would probably be a future world champion/wwe champion...........and got laughed at .lol

But I don't care, maven will prove me right one day, you'll see! :P

Thank god! someone other than me thinks Maven has a title holder look.

I know we're talking about the IC title but I once before said knowing wwe, maven would probably be a future world champion/wwe champion...........and got laughed at .lol

But I don't care, maven will prove me right one day, you'll see! :P

You know, when I think about it more and more, making Maven the champion could make for some intresting TV and wrestling. Here is a guy that won the very first tough enough, whilst teaching in Oregon. Hes dream came true to be a WWE star. If he wins the title I think they could make a real good story line from it.

He has the talent, he has an amazing dropkick, as good as Hardcore Hollys. He is young. I see big things in store for this kid.

Go Maven!

Steve :thumbsup

i think if maven gets the title many fans and wwe people will feel ashamed that this is a guy pulled off the street and is now a champion which gives out the opinion wrestlers are normal people which isnt what wwe wants. i want orton to keep it on and off until he maybe gets a shot at the wwe title to make it prestigious

Yeah, but there will be a few years where Maven, Orton, Christian, Edge, Matt Hardy, Rhyno, Shelton Benjamin and Tajiri are Main Eventers. Most of these guys, maybe with the exception of Tajiri and Rhyno, should win either the WWE or World Title at some point in their careers. Maven has the talent, attitude and charisma to win a major title in the WWE, but he obviously has some time to go. This guy was "pulled fromt he street" a few years ago and has suffered a few injuries since then. he has worked up from Opener to Midcarder since then. Give him three good years and I think he will be Main Eventing one day.

One fault about Maven however, is the fact he is so skinny! He needs some sort of bodymass soon.

Well i agree with many of you here, i think Maven has the look and ability to be IC champ. Maybe not just yet, but definitly within a few months. Obviously some people will be annoyed that he "didnt pay his dues" but in all honesty that doesnt matter. And as Steve said, it could make for some interesting tv and feuds. However i am of the belief that Orton should keep the title a while longer to build up more of a "talent pool" of opponents. Edge is already an established contender, Shelton and Maven could be as well. Already you have there a purpose built fatal four way, but i think you need more possible opponents than 3, especially for the IC title which is still regarded by some as a steeping stone to the big one. Matt Hardy and Tajiri are both outside possibilities, but imo Rhyno doesnt stand a chance. He was a jobber on Smackdown, and after his first match on Raw has also become fairly invisible. Things need to change for these three to challenge for the IC strap. Edited by Alan

glad u all agree with my opinion that maven is a talent

i heard rumours he was gonna join evolution but i think in a way it would diminish his push so id rather him stay solo for the time, plus the fact evolution wont be along much longer IMO

Evolution are a fantastic stable right now. One of the best ever in my opinion. If Maven had joined last year, I think he would be in Randy Orton's shoes right now. But still, if Randy Orton was still in the stable, Maven would be the lost puppy. There is a place for every Evolution member. Ric Flair is the manager, Batista is the bodyguard. HHH is the main man and Randy Orton is the up and comer, the one following in the footsteps of HHH.

The way wwe has portrayed the IC title in the past doesn't fill me with hope for the future. Yes, Orton may seem like he's rebuilding the image of the title (and he is), but all its gonna take is someone in the back to think that the belt would look good on A-Train and we're back to square one. Not that Orton would probably be expected to job to A-Train, but if this rumoured feud with HHH is gonna take place at any stage, then presumably it'll be for the world title.

I'm still worried for guys like Maven and Matt Hardy that the stigma of being a jobber will prevent them from going further. I remember a match between HHH and Maven from sometime last year when the game absolutely PULVERISED the guy. He gave him nothing. Contrast that with the royal treatment he gave Shelton this year. They obviously have plans for him now that they didn't have for Maven then and probably still don't.

But in response to the question, I'd love to see Matt have a run with it - as a heel.