Its 1994!

Tajiri

With most of their major stars gone and no other place to sign away new stars, WWE is now in the middle of going with a new plan for the future. They have moved most of their stars, marketable talent, and quality athletes to RAW, and hope to create extreme gimmicks on Smackdown. The plan is to take average wrestlers and stick them with gimmicks that hopefully turn them into stars (ala The Undertaker).

WWE is fully aware that they do not have many young guys left who can turn into the next Kurt Angle or Brock Lesnar, so now they are trying to make up for that. Vince McMahon also has always loved creating extreme gimmicks since it shows that he has more to do with making a star than the actual wrestler.

Rene Dupree (with his dog), Mordecai, "The New Millenium Narcicist" Mark Jindrak, the new John Bradshaw Layfield, and the dropped Hirohito, as well as additions to established gimmicks like Booker T's voodoo pouch, are examples of this new direction.

Credit: Torch Newsletter

The more gimmicky the better in my opinion....

But unfortunately the gimmicks I have seen so far are not "quite" working, Renee Dupree is a good wrestler, but he has to be a French hate figure. If he was french-like, he'd be hiding behind someone to fight his battles for him, perhaps a German wrestler!

They could tag team and be called the "European union" or something....

Or you could just have William Regal pull his butt out of the fire all the time, with a dissapointed "Why do you do this to yourself?" look on his face.

Mordecai needs to drop the undertaker crap and quick....

JBL is starting to work for me, arrogant, cocky, rich as hell? anyone else see a million dollar man here? It works... though i think to seal it, he should pay a fan $100 to kiss his boots as MMM did way back!

Now I think the most successful gimmick at the moment is Mark Jindrak, he's a good wrestler with a cross of Lex Luger, Ric Flair and Rick Rude ( I think that's his name) and the fact that he has a Jimmy hart-a-like manager to do all his promotion work for him... classic 90s gimmick!

Saracen

create extreme gimmicks on Smackdown. The plan is to take average wrestlers and stick them with gimmicks that hopefully turn them into stars (ala The Undertaker).

Credit: Torch Newsletter

If this is true the cruiserweights have no chance of ever getting any tv time.

Maybe they should move the cruiserweights to Raw and the women to Smackdown! Seems like it would make more sense.

Wow - the Brand extension....really working well, ain't it. Oo;

If all they can do is to make dumb distinctions between the shows by making RAW about the wrestling athletecism and Smackdown about the shock/glamour aspect, then they might as well just bloody well re-merge them, and let both shows share the same blimmin' ratings, instead of driving people away with this obvious plan of craption.

Ho Hum...

This is really quite disappointing, to me...why turn Smackdown into the Rocky Horror Wrestling show?

I fear for the worst, I really do...

I totally agree with HHH. What was wrong with the two shows before the split? If I miss smackdown one week im not bothered cause i know that ive missed nothing important. If they want to have a split then at least have superstars making regular crossovers and not a yearly draft! Dont have seperate ppv's either, build up big feuds between the stars of raw and the potential stars of smackdown (giving them a push). It would be great if superstars were to gatecrash the rival events every week. Remenber when Stone cold would be banned from appearing, only to turn up in a monster truck and cause chaos? It was more exciting when wcw was around too, every ppv rumours would fly about who was going to leave and join the wwf. The big show is crap but that night he came through the ring during Austin v Vince, it was amazing. There are no surprises anymore.

I agree with HHH and Cpt Caveman. If the brands re-merged it wouldn't hurt the product. Their only other option at this point would be, Heaven forbid, to equalize the talent by actually dividing it between the two shows instead of loading up RAW and leaving SD to sink or swim. It only hurts them and wrestling fans. Nobody wins.

I also feel that they should merge the PPV's.

Personally I hate the whole Narcissist thing. Jindrak is better than that, although having a manager doesn't hurt him. Who cares about the fact that someone is stuck on himself? Lots of people are. That gimmick worked back in the 50's when it was deemed as a hint of possible homosexuality {GASP} or meant that a man had an effeminate (spelling?) nature {GASP again}. But now, culture, including WWE, are trying to ram these things down our throats with TV, political correctness, etc.

I have not weighed in on Mordecai yet as I want to see what they do with him.

End the brand split, merge the rosters, have a few more jobbers (JOB Squad!!) so wrestlers can get their moves over wihout damaging someone elses ego. The rivalries could be endless and you could have 4-Way Faction matches. Awesome.

I'm serious about more jobbers though. I watched the Al Snow Shoot interview last night and he said he started the JOB Squad to give the jobbers a little pride. He doesn't mind, week after week, jobbing for the new guy in order to get them over - because he's a pro. But just remember, if he wants to, he can ruin you instantly.

You don't give a jobber respect? He said he was considering taking a Tombstone and then just sitting up, pulling a comb out of his pocket and combing his hair. Undertaker, and the Tombstone Piledriver, RUINED right there.

With more and more superstars, and less jobbers, you'll find people are far less eager to damage their reputations in order to put someone over.

Bring back the JOB Squad, the most powerful faction of all!

Cheers!

Well I'm all up for the WWE looking into the future. It's better than nothing, but the gimmicks I have seen so far and not anything to shout about. (apart from the Bradshaw one) I mean, the Booker T magic pouch angle just plain sucked. There was no need for it at all... although, it did work out well in the match with Taker just shrugging it off...

Wrestling has always been full of peaks and troughs. Its down just now but it will pick up. They really arsed it up by killing wcw, when it was bought shane appeared on nitro and was broadcast live to the raw show. Why the hell didnt they keep nitro going and then vince has every wrestling fan watching his product. A proper wwf vs wcw feud would have been great. Raw superstars invading nitro and beating up the whole locker room live on tv and vice versa, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh that would have been something!