England's Euro 2004 Squad

Cactus Jack

England's Euro 2004 squad:

Goalkeepers: David James (Man City), Paul Robinson (Tottenham), Ian Walker (Leicester)

Defenders: Gary Neville (Man Utd), Phil Neville (Man Utd), Ashley Cole (Arsenal), Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Sol Campbell (Arsenal), John Terry (Chelsea), Ledley King (Tottenham), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool).

Midfielders: David Beckham (Real Madrid), Paul Scholes (Man Utd), Nicky Butt (Man Utd), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Kieron Dyer (Newcastle), Joe Cole (Chelsea)

Strikers: Michael Owen (Liverpool), Emile Heskey (Liverpool), Darius Vassell (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Everton).

Standby: Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Richard Wright (Everton), Matthew Upson (Birmingham), Gareth Southgate (Middlesbrough), Scott Parker (Chelsea), Alan Smith (Leeds).

Surprised its not been talked about around here.

So, what's your views? Any surprises, or was it pretty much the squad you expected? Anyone been overlooked?

Can someone do me a favour and post Scotland's squad for Euro 2004, as I've not heard it annouced yet :devil

Didn't Scotland beat England the last time they met? At Wembley too, I believe :devil

Sorry Cactus, had to stick up for my celtic cousins there! And looking for positives in the current scottish set-up ain't easy, so I had to go back a couple of years. Nice dig though :xyx

As for the squad, I'd probably have had Defoe in ahead of Vassell. Other than that, its as expected.

Not too many shocks, I suppose. Perhaps Ledley King in instead of Southgate is a bit dubious?

I'm glad Vassell is in the squad, he has proved so much more at international level than his does at Villa. Similar to Rooney, Vassell turns it on for his country and that is what Sven looks for: people who are not intimidated by big tournaments.

Pretty worrying that the Goalkeepers are all from teams that are crap or who have underachieved this season. Still, James is probably the best option currently, seeing that Kirkland is crocked.

Cheers!

Can someone do me a favour and post Scotland's squad for Euro 2004' date=' as I've not heard it annouced yet :devil[/quote']

Sure, I can do that. Here's the squad for the team that all Scotsmen will be supporting at Euro 2004.

Goalkeepers: Fabien Barthez (Olympique Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon), Mickael Landreau (Nantes)

Defenders: Jean-Alain Boumsong (Rangers), Marcel Desailly (Chelsea), William Gallas (Chelsea), Bixente Lizarazu (Bayern Munich), Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich), Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United), Lilian Thuram (Juventus).

Midfielders: Olivier Dacourt (Roma), Ludovic Giuly (Monaco), Claude Makelele (Chelsea), Benoit Pedretti (Sochaux), Robert Pires (Arsenal), Jerome Rothen (Monaco), Patrick Vieira (Arsenal), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid)

Strikers: Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Steve Marlet (Olympique Marseille), Louis Saha (Manchester United), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal)

The Auld Alliance remains strong. 'Mon the France!

Sure, I can do that. Here's the squad for the team that all Scotsmen will be supporting at Euro 2004.

Goalkeepers: Fabien Barthez (Olympique Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon), Mickael Landreau (Nantes)

Defenders: Jean-Alain Boumsong (Rangers), Marcel Desailly (Chelsea), William Gallas (Chelsea), Bixente Lizarazu (Bayern Munich), Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich), Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United), Lilian Thuram (Juventus).

Midfielders: Olivier Dacourt (Roma), Ludovic Giuly (Monaco), Claude Makelele (Chelsea), Benoit Pedretti (Sochaux), Robert Pires (Arsenal), Jerome Rothen (Monaco), Patrick Vieira (Arsenal), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid)

Strikers: Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Steve Marlet (Olympique Marseille), Louis Saha (Manchester United), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal)

Nothing like the taste of bitter lemons and sour grapes :) ;) :thumbsup

I am slightly dissapointed in the England squad for a couple of reasons. Neither one of the Nevilles has been particularly good this season, and i think Upson should have been picked as a first team member rather than stand-by. Also i think picking Rooney, Butt and Walker were all mistakes. These players will not help the squad IMO, they will only hinder our progress.

:lol :worship

Nothing like the taste of bitter lemons and sour grapes :) ;) :thumbsup

Hey, you're the one that fired the first shot in this thread! :P

Anyways, I look forward to bantering you lot over the European Championships and hopefully you take it well when we rip you mercilessly when you get knocked out. Although the chances of you taking it well are as good as the chances of Motty not talking about England long after they've been knocked out. :D

Edited by The Crippler

I can't see how Rooney or Butt could hinder Englands progress, If I remember rightly Nicky Butt was probably Englands best player at the last world cup, And Rooney will give 100% whenever he pulls on a England shirt. However I do agree on Walker, How he has got into the squad I'll never know, I feel Richard Wright would have been the better option.

I'm not too suprised though with the squad it's virtually England at full strength to be fair, I do feel that if the midfield plays well, England will have a decent enough chance at going quite far with Gerrard, Beckham and Lampard in Midfield would be exciting with either Phil Neville or Nicky Butt playing in the holding role, Seens as they are likely to play with the diamond shape, it'd be an interesting line up.

Perhaps a little disapointed about Vassell being in there, But as has been said he seems to do quite well for England. Considering not many other England strikers have delivered I guess it makes sense.

Lets see, Phillips and Beattie are amoung the 4 leading English goal scorers, but they don't get into the squad of course not! I mean Heskey and Vassell have done so well this year at club level that they deserve to go to Europe. Look at Chris Sutton, another great year at Celtic and has really shown that he can play, but does he even get a chance in the squad, or even friendly's?? No of course not! All 3 goalkeepers from clubs that were either relegated or struggled, ha!

When England don't pick the best English players how do they expect to win?

I wouldn't actually blame James for the fact that City struggled Walshy. The fact that the English keepers are from struggling sides is probably down to the fact that most of the other keepers in the Premiership are foreign.

Back to the England squad, I agree with you Walshy on the strikers. Rooney's been poor this season, was totally crap against City last saturday plus he looks overweight, hasn't done much all season, Owen struggles with his hamstrings, lets prey they don't go cas we will be fecked up front then.

Heskey, his record speaks for itself, 5 goals in about 40 games?? I really don't rate him at all. I would of had Beatie in the team for sure as Vassell is another who gets injured to frequently.

On the subject of Upson, I'd have Cambell and Terry over him every time.

as a welshman, i couldnt believe my eyes when i saw this squad, theres mr injury prone himself kieron dyer in the squad, when he's spent most of this season injured and had a handful of good games, then imo the biggest waste of space ever in heskey, surely beattie would have been a much better choice, and defoe should have been chosen miles ahead of vassell, as usual sven has his faves and sticks with them.

one more thing it just proves how much of a state the english goalkeeping selection is, two keepers in the squad that played at relegated teams this season, not really much to shout about is it.

Guest fallen_angel

Forza Azzurri

As an italian, living in England iam not really suprised at the particular England squad chosen.

It seems that Sven has picked players due to experience and not pure skill.

Defoe for example, or Matty Upson have not been given a full place thanks to the experience of Butt, Heskey eg although they are by far better players.

One other thing, the choice of goalkeepers for the suposed 'leading nation in football' is an absoulte disgrace. David James?!? Thankfully we have Buffon at the back.

I am however deverstated to find out that Giovanni Trapattoni will not be taking my favourite players Gilardino and the one and only 'Pipo' Inzaghi

Anyway enough moaning, Forza Azzurri!

Beneto Loraso