Deadman Walking to Retirement?

Spiritchaser

Hi everyone,

Though it pains me to say this i feel i must get it out there in order for it to make a bit of sense and to making the actuality such sweet sorrow, but i now beleive that this year may be the last we will see of The Phenom known as The Undertaker.

It hit me yesterday when a ten year old child insulted my Deadman T shirt that the magic of The Deadman is wasted on a lot of this generation, and that the mindset of the Man from the Darkside and the American BadAss are two totally different entities, a la Cactus, Mankind and Mick (Dude) Foley. Before the now infamous Hell in The Matches were thought of 'Taker was legendary, Casket Matches etc... and now ten year olds think he is just another wrestler, that to me is a shame.After Shawn Michaels cost 'Taker the belt to Brett the interview he had on Raw, yes preSmackdown, had 'Taker tell Shawn that he thought Shawn was the one who had brains and would go on to tell of the Legend of the Undertaker and unfortunately that was no longer possible. And so now we have the WWE bringing back Undertaker w/ Paul Bearer for one last hurrah. My understanding is that having watched and supported the Deadman in all his guises for almost fifteen years, i have to say that no-one before or since has dominated with such class in all those years, and few have come close to acheiving the same level of respect from both the fans and his peers.So when i read about Brock Lesnar not wanting to job to the Deadman i do not find it difficult to understand why Lesnar is no longer with us, because Lesnar insults all those who did lose to Undertaker and has no respect for the business. Good riddance Brock. I now beleive 'Taker will win the belt one last time and retire after WM21 after setting a record 13-0 at 'Manias a record that no one will come close to in my lifetime. He will then Walk off to take care of his wife and child and all the very best to him and his. Thanks for the memories Deadman and thanks for the Legend of The Undertaker Vince.

Spiritchaser. Clear.

Great topic Spiritchaser!

Erm, I know what you mean about the newer fans not fully understanding/appreciating/comprehending? the Undertaker as "Deadman", maybe because this is because they cannot relate to him as much.

Face it, when newer fans got into wrestling they were enjoying amplifications of whatever was hip in the media at the time. Stone Cold was a redneck, the Rock was charisma, looks and charm - making records with Wyclef. DX summed it all up best: the embodiment of Generation X's plight. Perfect.

Bikertaker was based on Kid Rock, among other things. He totally reinvented himself but kept the name. New fans thought "ooh the American Badass, he rides a bike, has cool music, and does these cool moves." I think they all secretly know why he is called the Undertaker, and know he had a gimmick once, where he had creepy music and a wittering fat man carrying an urn.

For the older guys, it's pure as pure a nostalgia trip before he retires. The younger fans know what is going on but *probably* don't appreciate the dong...dongs, the lights going out, the eye-rolling and the sitting up.

But yeah, this will probably be his last year...

Cheers!

youre all so wrong with this. your basing undertaker retiring on the fact that he hasnt been on regular TV and the only reason that is is because lesnar quit before they could have there planned fued. when taker fueded with booker it was crap because it was all very last minute

Fact is the kids don't understand Takers old/new gimmick fully but the majority of the people in the arenas do and his pops are still huge. But its not so much the wrestling persona of Mr Calloway but father time, his elbows and knees are knackered, he's a dad, he's loaded now and he is a legend like it or not.

He doesn't need to go in there and if he hadn't have been slagged of so much through 2001 I think he would have retired then but he had a great 2002-03 with great matches (watch the SD match against Kurt) to prove the legend. Don't give him the title but keep him strong and allow him to pass the torch as the legend he is at Wrestlemania 21.

Wouldn't it be fitting:

Undertakers final match at WM21, a "Casket Match" vs Randy Orton.

Orton wins, Undertaker retires, loses his fantastic winning streak, and Orton gets pushed through the stratosphere.

I'll call Vinny Mac...

Cheers!

Kids, it's like I've been saying all along...leave with dignity, but only after one final burst of glory.

Calloway has given a lot to the fans...broken bones, taken abuse, and basically helped out the industry in so many ways it's hard to keep score. Oo;

The current Deadman 'Conglomerate' gimmick is, most likely, his final present to the fans in general...the fans who stood by him and supported him for the last ten years.

Will he get a title shot? Probably not - his aim has been about kicking ass...alive, or dead.

We know this, because it's been such a central aspect in all his gimmicks...he was always over, regardless of whether or not he held the title.

He has been a remarkably long-lasting figure of the WWE, and will always be thought of by many as an undeniable Icon of toughness and fortitude in his heydays, and beyond.

If this is his final run, then he will be missed within the ring...but always remembered as one of the Finest of our times.

God Damn the deadman, Mark Calloway...:D

Many a time i have sat and discussed this exact topic with my friends.

And it pains me to say that the Deadman may be on his way. Wrestling fans tend to have short memories (that is not a dig at anybody, just a statement). When many of us were growing up, we experienced the first real boom in wrestling first hand and people liek 'Taker and Hogan were at the forefront of this push.

'Taker has given so many memories over the years to fans of a certain age. I personally remember watching in awe how a man his size could walk across the ropes and then jump on somebody. These days this sort of move is not as rare. Cruiserweights perform these sorts of moves just for the fun of it.

Casket matches, the infamous Hell in a Cell matches, the TWO Undertakers, Paul Bearer, the creatures of the night, the Ministry,the lights, the music, the urn, etc.

Another match i will never forget was the Darkside vs The BlueBloods at a Survivor series. HE chokeslammed HHH (the weak, skinny version) from the outside of the ring, over the ropes into the middle of the ring. And IMO HHH takes the chokeslam better than anybody else in the WWE, he allows 'Taker to hold him up longer. (check it and you will see im right). Unlike when he tried to chokeslam A-Train at one WM he doesnt ask him for help.

The bloke has given his all in the Fed and is a respected competitor, and i will be among one of many "old school" fans who would be very sorry to see him go but hell, everybody goes at some point.

I know it wont be for a while but R.I.P 'Taker, you will be missed.

I am having mixed feelings concerning the Undertaker and his retirment at the moment. On one hand i think he should have one more feud and bow out gracefully. He is getting too old and his ring work has been affected, and his giimick is only halfway there. However on the other hand Smackdown is in such a state at the moment the show needs a strong face who the fans know, love and identify with. Undertaker is just that man, just his name alone commands respect and until the WWE can get someone over and in tune with the fans then Mark Calloway needs to remain on WWE tv. Edited by Alan

i think the undertaker will retire as i dont think he is happy with the way wwe is going,the young fans dont know the taker of old,the way he destroyed superfly in his first wrestlemania,and the way he made the character his own.

If he does retire then good luck to him and his family,he will be missed and no one could replace him

I agree the deadman should think about retiring soon. I think he has become really slow in the ring in the last few years. He is living on his reputation and his injuries means his matches boil down to a few big power moves, nothing more. If/when he does I think a huge pay-per view should be set up in honour of him (corporate rock had one). Give him a decent feud in the build up to it, win/defend the title and retire on the following smack down. This would not only set up a great battle royal opportunity for the next payper view but also give the smackdown roster a much needed push! But please not another Kane feud, thats been done to death (sorry!) and Kane just hasn't got what i takes. Can Brett Hart still wrestle? If the rumours are true about his return then that could be a possibilty. Anyway thanks for the memories taker, my favourite was the hell in a cell vs HBK, it got me back into wrestling after years away from it! The man is a legend.

Of course he is slower. He's been at this for many years. It takes its toll (pun intended) on you. But the legacy, the power, the focus, and the uber-overness he will always have could be used elsewhere, in another capacity, perhaps as Mordecai's manager/mentor.

No matter whether he stays around a while or leaves soon, the dead man will always be among the greatest of all time, alongside Hogan, Bret Hart, Slick Ric, and of course... THE MAH-CHO MAN!!!!!!!

Mick Foley said that its better to go out on your back. Why? I don't remember if he said why. But I assume its so that you can get a new guy over and pass the torch, giving back and keeping the sport going. As stated by Boyo (top of page) it would be cool if he passed that torch on to "The Legend Killer" who is an up and coming star if he steers clear of all the pitfalls.