how important is music to you?

charlie

To me, music is life. My interest in the kind of music i like is such an integral part of my character that I can't separate it from anything I do. I dress the way I do mostly because that's how I feel comfortable, but also I guess it is an easy way for me to show what kind of music scene I'm into. It's how I've been dressing for the past ten years, although maybe the clothes are a bit more expensive and better quality these days. the clothes aren't the be all and end all though, although I've yet to meet a death metaller who doesn't dress in a similar fashion. I live, sleep, breathe music. I wish I were musically gifted, but I'm not. I can't write lyrics, I can't play an instrument, so I listen to it instead.

I think this is something that everyone, no matter what kind of music they are truly into, can appreciate. No name calling, no sh1t like that, just a pure appreciation of the music, even if the next guy doesn't like it, all that counts is that you do. surely this forum should be a place to discuss this, not just end up denigrating each other because of it.

• Like 1

Music is extremely important to me. I can be in a crap mood, and I'll put some music on and it just mellows me out. I dress grungier than most because of my musical tastes, and in a way it makes me stand out (even though it's not exactly unique). I can sing and stuff, and spent nearly 2 hours today in the school's recording studio singing with a band (2 teachers and a mate, but they were all wicked) and I loved it, loved people watching me, loved listening to it back, people suggesting all this stuff to me and just making music, was brilliant. So yeah, Music=uber important.

It's extremely important to me. Not only does it stimulate me emotionally and sometimes physically, but I can use it to psychologically influence someone else.

For example, I go out dressed as a "goth". Leather coat, black spikey trousers, black shirt, etc. But anyone who knows me knows that my music taste is one of the widest around. I'll listen to old rock, new rock, trance, techno, old school dance, nu-romantics, 50's soul, hip hop, rap, 70's disco, country, classical, pop, cheesy, eurovision, etc etc etc. By looking like I do though, people instantly presume "he's just a rocker". So when I come out quoting Method Man, Garth Brooks and Phil Collins, people instantly become confused and vunerable, and from then on, I can control their views on me and keep them guessing (afterall, if they couldn't pick that up, what other surprises do I have).

It's quite fun, really :)

Music is the one thing that helps me remember all the little things taht happen in my life, a song would be playing or I'd have downloaded this or that... People have photos and diarys I have my CD collection and my Mini Disc player, life and music are inseprable.

Music matters to me, but not as much as some of the others on here. I dont listen to music to stimulate my mind, or to learn how to dress or live my life. I listen to it mainly for pure enjoyment. I enjoy dancing around to the music, i love singing along to any lyrics that get thrown out, stuff like that. It doesnt matter to me too much about what style/genre it is, as long as when i hear it i enjoy it. Music is not a vital part of my life like many people, it is just "background noise", something that isnt crucial but helps out a little along the way.
  • Like 1

Music matters zilch to me. I'm not going to go on at people for their love of it, because as a wrestling fan I'm used to the "you can't really like that, can you?" reaction.

Anyway, to me it's just sound. It's something to tap my foot to in the house or nod my head to in the car. I'll buy CDs every now and again, I don't download much music because of the crazy amounts of spyware you get with the P2P programs and music certainly doesn't affect the way I live my life in any major way. I could easily live my life without music, and it doesn't really pop up in any conversations I have due to the fact that I have the weirdest taste in music ever. I'm not so big on the whole "promote the band" thing, as I don't have one music related T shirt and I've only ever been to two concerts, one which my friend paid for (Limp Bizkit) and the other which I spent the day wandering round not really caring about the music (Gig On The Green).

If you're into music, fair play, if you enjoy it then I'm not going to complain. But to me, as I said, it's just sound, which is just one of 5 senses (6 if your Haley Joel Osmond). It's unfair that sound takes preference over taste in today's society, as I'd love to see kids hanging around in a hooded swearshirt that says "Eat Chips" and the name of a few Chippys underneath. Or replace the slogan with "I like the smell of peach", and a list of places where you can smell peaches.

Now I'm talking crazy, but I just feel that there are a billion more important things in life than music. Hopefully I won't be murdered. :)

Nah Russ, differentt things matter in different ways to different people, its the 3D system you see.... The fact is if I where to put up the three most important things in life Music wouldn't be there, but it would be in the top ten....

But then again lets not make a list, or I'll sound like a character from High Fidelity and then we'll know I listened to music way too much...

I would say music is important to me, but I wouldn't say it was my life or anything as commited as that. I enjoy the music to which I listen but it doesn't affect my outlook on life in general. I do have things like band T-shirts from tours and that sort of thing but I dress depending on what I'll be doing or what's available, I don't feel as though I have to dress according to my music tastes. I very much doubt I would ever wear a band T-shirt at work for instance, if work involved contact with other people, as I can do without drawing attention to myself that way and don't feel that not dressing in a certain manner in any way compromises how I feel about the music I like.

I tend to prefer the band T-shirt and jeans ensemble as it happens, but if I think it might be more appropriate to wear a shirt, tie and smart trousers, or a suit and tie, then I'll do that. Sometimes I think it's even quite amusing when people think of you in a completely different way because of how you dress in front of them and would never imagine that you could be interested in hard rock or metal. We're all guilty of those kinds of preconceptions, myself included, although I do try to keep an eye out for rockers in suits if I spot someone esle pulling the same stunt. I remember seeing my old physics teacher from high school in a hard rock bar listening to an AC/DC tribute band one time, that was another turn up for us (I was with some old school friends at the time) as we had no idea!

As regards the music itself, it's become more important to me since I started to become better at playing it and more interested in learning about it in that sense If I get more spare time within the next year, which could possibly happen, then I'll probably have more of a go at mastering some more complex guitar stuff, which would mean that music would play even more of a part in my life. I'd also like to write an album's worth of original material (maybe one or two covers at a push) if I do get more time on my hands so I would like to learn how to become more expressive with music. I wouldn't say it was my life though, more of a keen interest.

i enjoy lisetening to music a lot and before it probably affected my lifestyle wayyyyy too much in the way i dressed friends etc.

now ill listen to what i want, and act and dress the way i wanna do whereas before i did it to fit in. i dont really care anymore. I'll listen to songs that i like not whats popular among groups of people or whatnot.

I am a huge fan of WWE/Wrestling Themes but please dont hold that aginst me, its jut smusic I enjoy listeneing to as much as anyother. I suppose Im mainly seen as a rocker although I enjoy many other stuff, Simon and Garfunkel and Elvis being some of my favourites to listen to when im in the mood for those.

I'll listen to different music depending on my mood. Simple as

I'd say music is important to me. It takes up a big part of my life. Eg, it influences the people who i like to hang around with, the places i go, for example on nights out.. which leads me to meet similar people to me. Plus i listen to music every day, i'd be lost without it. Whatever mood im in, i can find music to suit it.

I'd say Rock N Roll and the whole package that comes with it is extremely important to me, one of the most satisfying things in my life, like hearing a searing guitar solo or a guy scream his nuts off, also the attitudes of the people that like or make this music appeals to me. On the whole though, music isn't that important to me as not many genres cater to my tastes, although some could be credited for influencing bits of my favourite music.