Bad News For Birmingham

Jack

from BBC sport

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce says he is close to signing Liverpool's Emile Heskey, with the striker set to clinch deal worth £3.5m rising to £6m.

England striker Heskey will be named in the squad to go to Euro 2004 on Monday but is out of favour at Anfield.

Bruce said: "We are close to agreeing a new deal and we hope to complete it within the next 48 hours.

"Hopefully we will be able to make Emile a Birmingham player within the next two days."

The deal would be worth an initial £3.5m, but would go up after the player makes a certain number of club and international appearances.

Liverpool paid Leicester City £11m for the services of Heskey in March 2000. He has since made 277 appearances for the Merseysiders, scoring a total of 60 goals in all competitions.

But he looks to have fallen out of favour after Liverpool agreed to pay £14m for Djibril Cisse in time for next season.

Heskey is expected to be the first in a number of high-profile signings by Birmingham in the summer.

Bruce has already been linked with Heskey's former Leicester team-mate Muzzy Izzet, as well as Chelsea midfielder Jesper Gronkjaer.

heskey is by far englands worst striker and is a rip-off for £3.5million

This is not the best move by Birmingham, but it isnt the worst they could have done either. Heskey is a poor striker and is miles behind most of the others in the premeirship, but for a game or two a season he does deliver, and those games could make a big difference. Even with his flaws, Heskey is still a high profile signing for any club, and also it shows that Liverpool are serious about bringing in new strikers!

I've always liked Heskey. I don't think I would buy him but I wouldn't want to mark him.

The last thing you want is a big, strong, fast, fit man with age on his side, World Cup and Euro experience and something to prove going to a club where they will build around his qualities.

He made his name at Leicester because they played to his strengths, he couldn't quite make it at Liverpool because they played to Owen's strengths, but now he's the big fish again.

I predict at least 15 league goals for Heskey next season. Easy.

Cheers!

11 goals in a season, yeah he's a right donkey right. We have much worse in Morrison and Stern John, who we paid more for. When Forssell is up for sale, we have first refusal, and we have other targets lined up, and Muzzy Izzet should be signing in the next 24 hours.

You make me laugh though, 11 goals in a season and he didn't start most of the games. Donkey my arse. If you want to look at Englands worst striker, may I point you to Darius Vassell. The words Cows arse and banjo come to mind.

If you want to look at Englands worst striker' date=' may I point you to Darius Vassell. The words Cows arse and banjo come to mind.[/quote']

Yeah but so do the words "Nicole", "hates" and "Villa"...

Cheers!

Nicole is right, no matter how dodgy Heskey can be, Vassell is just that little bit worse. It doesnt matter what team they play for, the players are just not up the standard of many foreign strikers. I say foreign because in all honesty there isnt that many great english strikers about, and dont say Rooney is great because he is an overrated lump as well.

Yeah.. Defoe should be there instead of Vassell.

On the debate of Heskey.. i dont see the point in signing him. He stood out at Leciester because everyone else was poor, and he was the only decent striker in a below par premiership team back then. Forsell is a brilliant player, and birmingham should have gone out to sign him permanently, as alot of teams could be interested in him if he performs as well next season as he did this. I hadnt heard of Birmingham being linked with jesper gronkjaer, but that will be a brilliant signing. I rate him very highly.

Heskey will do a good job for Birmingham. In Forsell, he has a really good partner up front. Heskey can do all the work, flicks on's etc and i'm sure Forsell will benefit. Heskey offers a lot more to a side, and I think Steve Bruce obviously knows that. Good luck to him!

Vassel a donkey for England? He may not have been up to his best for Villa this year, but for England he always puts in good performances and causes defenders problems.

As for Heskey, I'm a big fan. When teams play to his strengths he is one of the best strikers around. Add in a decent run and some confidence, and he's almost unstoppable. The only reason he's had problems at Liverpool is because of the service mainly being supplied for Owen, or for him to win flick ons for Owen. A couple of years back when Owen was out for quite a while, and heskey was more important to Liverpools attack was when he had his best spell. He'll get 15 goals for Birmingham next season, maybe more, he's a good signing, and if Steve Bruce can get the best from Heskey, he's gonna be a bargain.

I dont get all the Heskey hating.

People crap him out because he doesnt score many goals but its offset by the amount of goals he provides. His power and pace make him a real handful for defenders and Im willing to bet that Owen will find it much harder next season without Heskey along side him.

His only fault is that he is prone to collasping when tackled a bit too easy but i think hes eradicating that from his game nowadays. I think he will work great with Forsell. Forsell is a similar style of player to Owen and I think he will go from strength to strength when playing alongside Heskey.

11 goals in a season, yeah he's a right donkey right. We have much worse in Morrison and Stern John, who we paid more for. When Forssell is up for sale, we have first refusal, and we have other targets lined up, and Muzzy Izzet should be signing in the next 24 hours.

You make me laugh though, 11 goals in a season and he didn't start most of the games. Donkey my arse. If you want to look at Englands worst striker, may I point you to Darius Vassell. The words Cows arse and banjo come to mind.

Would you still have this opinion if Emile wasnt signing for B'ham. I used to think Ehiogu was crap then he signed for Boro now he rules.

I think Heskey is a donkey, thats my opinion, he comes in and out of games, he falls over alot of the slightest touch, he's touch isn't the best and his goalscoring record for such a vaunted striker is questionable. Nicole if he plays a blinding season for the Blue's next season then I will think different but until I see it I won't change my view.

Still I think Jesper if you get him (and why are Chelsea selling him!?!?) will be a fantasic signing as he was fantastic for a large part of the season and Chelsea with him and Duff on the flanks were a formidable side. Good luck Birmingham next season, hope you get to Europe this time.

Gronkjaer quite frankly, is total and utter pants. My friend has been a Chelsea fan for 35 years and he says hes one of the worst players he has ever seen in a Chelsea shirt. Hes a winger who cant cross the ball to save his life

Heskey ain't the best player in the world, but he could yet prove to be a shrewd signing. Personally, I think Liverpool ruined him, like they've done with others before, by trying to fit him into a certain mould rather than letting him do what he's good at, which in Heskey's case is using his power and pace to get past defences and score goals. Thats what he did at Leicester, and he also did it in fits and starts at Liverpool. That season we won the three cups, he was an integral part of the team, and you wouldn't have heard me complaining too much about him then. I think the time was right for him and Liverpool to part company, but he could still be good for Birmingham