Troy

Evil Gringo

Went to see Troy last night at the cinema down here in good old Rochdale and all I can say is what an sight it was....

The visuals were beautiful, the cast were perfect, the performances wonderful and Brad Pitt was a great hero! They changed a few things from the Ilyad to suit the film but all in all this was a 9/10 film, anyone else seen it and like to share their thoughts?

Oh and one last thing... Nathen Jones apperance lasted about as long as his WWE career...

Oh and one last thing... Nathen Jones apperance lasted about as long as his WWE career...

True, but he still appears in the TV Trailer, as well as having a good 20/30 seconds of footage of him in the film appear on the ITV Lunchtime news.

I quite fancy seeing the film for a few reasons. One, it's Orlando playing a cowardly role, which is different from his usual characters. Two, it's got SCOTTISH ACTOR Brian Cox, who always always always steals the show. And three, I'm hoping Eric Bana turns into the Hulk and goes mental on Brad Pitt's ass.

"Raaargh, Tyler Durden, HULK SMASH!".

Cox was amazing as a right evil s.o.b... Eric Bana was great as Hector and the fight between him and Pitt's Achelles was awesome as well.... As a mention must go to Tyler Mane who played Saberwolf in X-Men... he plays a huge Greek called Ajax whos very handy with a hammer, that was a good part as well.

Its alright, I've seen better, I've seen alot worse, 6/10.

The Visuals were good and I was pleased they they just didn't go all out on having CGI shots for every other scene. The only big problem I found was that the characters were not very well introduced, they gave no reason to really care about most of them, hurt the film a bit I thought.

Oh yeah and the bloody accents! How hard would it be not to act like your greek at least!

• 2 weeks later...

i havent seen it yet.. but heard it goes on abit? I will be watching it though soon.

and Gringo.. are you referring to the Odeon in Sandbrook Park.. which is empty 80% of the time. :P I know someone who works there.. so me gets free beer :)

I know, its so good, I wander in at any showing and get a ticket for any film apart from when its half term or the summer holidays and a film comes out the kids love... its gonna be like that for Shriek 2, I tells you, the kids won't get half the jokes anyway! Ban em!

Go see it Vamp it is a cracker... but it is 2hrs 45 mins long or there abouts.

Wow, great film. The only changes i'd have made are:-

1* mention the profecy that Hector will be killed by Achilles. It would make Hector even more of a brave guy to fight when he knows he's going to die.

2* Its Achilles' (male) lover, not cousin, who died at Hectors hands. Even though it would turn some people off of the film, it gives Achilles a better reason for anger.

On a side note, the popular opinion of Brad Pitt is a pretty boy actor who does chick flicks. But come on, the guys played not only Achilles but Tyler Durden! Good going Brad.

Also the Trojans ask the gods about the weakness of Achilles and find it's his heel and the seige last 10 years not a couple of weeks and also Achilles was killed in a battle outside of Troy fighting on a charoit with Paris who shoots him through the heel...

But then again if they were all in the film then it would have lasted as long as the entire LOR trilogy put together and maybe wouldn't have been as good in some cases.

Plus you think most of the american audience are gonna go watch the film and believe that the superhero, the main man is a homosexual?

From a purely artistic viewpoint I think those two changes would have worked though. Forget the ammount of people who would not go, thats the problem with balancing art with mass culture.

Bloody hell that sounds snobby! I hope you know what I mean and dont think that I'm a snob.

I am a slob though.

I understand what you mean Darkstar... The thing is though this is a huge blockbuster that cost probably more then any film (if anyone can confirm that) so the guys in the film company probably read the original script which may have included our points and shaved them off due to the impact they may have had on duration and the impact it would have on visuals...

Plus how many women would go to see Pitt be gay, thats a film exec's view I'm telling you.

Not really impressed, was ok if you like brad pitt and probably good for his ego. But the film itself which had great battles (but not good as lotr) really lacked deph and plenty of the legend was missing making for a confusing ending. It was ok but nothing special.

• 2 weeks later...
i agree with walshy and brm....i was not impressed at all...most of the film was ok, was nothing special though...but i just thought the ending ruined the whole film, it was just so cheap, didnt like it at all....the battles and action is good....just average film really though

Went to see this the other day. Unfortunately, I bought milk to drink in the cinema, and i think it mitght have been off. So i was clutching my stomach most of the time.

All in all, I think it was ok. Being a fan of greek mythology, I knew a bit more than my friends who went to see it. More could have been included if they didn't put useless stuff in there. Brad Pitt was a good Achilles. Eric Bana should be given more recognition, great job man! Orlando Bloom, when will we see you in a proper role. He's been labelled as the costume drama boy. However, I'm not complaining about the view.

CGI completely overshadowed the whole film and was easy to pick out. The battle scences were ok, but when the Greeks were running at the walls of Troy, the Trojan archers should have been slaughering them!!

Also the Trojans ask the gods about the weakness of Achilles and find it's his heel and the seige last 10 years not a couple of weeks and also Achilles was killed in a battle outside of Troy fighting on a charoit with Paris who shoots him through the heel...

I was discussing this the other day with my mate as to what they were actually trying to show with the film. We all know that in the mythology Achilles was invulnerable apart from his heel, but that's exactly what it is - MYTH. The gods don't go around doing blatant acts nowadays and probably didn't then, but the people still believed in them and attributed natural things to the gods.

So in all likelehood Achilles was just a normal guy who happened to be a brilliant warrior, and so people believed that he was somehow immortal.

Like the kid said "I heard you can't die". So perhaps he just had a reputation for it. Paris' shot to the ankle was actually an accident, when Persaus (sp?) shouted not to shoot, and he pulled out the other three arrows he was shot with, so when they'd find his body it might look like he'd been killed by a shot to the ankle. Over the years the story of a Achilles would then get altered until we all now think he was immortal or whatever.

So maybe they were showing a realistic interpretation of the myth, which fits with realistic possibilities.

Ed

Troy = 2 1/2 hours of my life I wont get back.

Plot ran like if you beat me up my mate will beat you up - a glorified version of playground politics.

As for the actors eric bana cant shake the shackles of that gash known as hulk, pitt to interested on looking like a god and as for peter o' toole thought i had gone in the wrong cinema and was watching dawn of the dead.

So far for me nothing has eclipsed eternal sunshine, maybe some holywood execs should take heed.

Fagan 3:16s verdict on Troy

Went to see it on thursday thought it was an average film i gotta say there was some hot women in it helen of troy ooh she was fine

Nathan Jones looked menacing (he's one big guy) then got killed with one move patethic

Orlando Bloom what a wuss he was in this film but overall worth watching

7/10

Edited by Walshy