UK Referees

josh

I have been to quite a few shows recently, and have seen quite a difference in the standard of referees.

The Gpw in Wigan tend to use trainees as referees, as well as the old British style of white shirts and dickie bows. It does not seem to work for me. I am not saying it was bad, but it just does not work.

Steve Lynskey of Fwa I rate quite highly, although at times his dress sense leaves a lot to be desired.

WzW seem to have an old school ref, but with a modern attitude. He uses public warnings, which is great and really gets the crowd going. At the recent Whitley Bay show, I noticed he had an ear piece in, a good idea if he needs to be relayed information.

If wrestling is to be taken seriously in this country, then we need to look at the referees. A young kid referring a match or whole show does not, and will never look right.

You need someone, with ring presence, a knowledge of wrestling, and above all look the part in the ring.

I think Wzw have got it right, Fwa are not far behind, but the rest need to re think their situation.

Your comments would be appreciated. Am I wrong? Or do I have a point?

I honestly believe that if you are going to move forward then put a guy in the ring who knows what it is about. He can make or break a match.

Thanks for the comments on the ref, and I could not agree more with you.

A referee is the third man in the match and needs to be as experienced if not more so than the wrestlers. We use Phil Robinson (GPW used to use him also) a wrestler from years gone by, he has worked with the old school greats in his time as a wrestler and knows the business inside out.

We decided to go with the "Real" ref on our first show and well after Iceman was knocked almost on concience, it was Phil that brought him round and watched him through the match. Iceman said he would not have been able to finish the match if it was not for Phil. The next thing is, Phil can control a match, he has the authority in the ring and has the respect from the wrestlers, he can tell them to finish a match early, pick up the pace, slow it down etc and the wrestlers do as he says. Its hard for wrestlers to give that sort of respect to a trainee wrestler who has been thrown in as a ref because its the cheap option. I mean some promotions would rather use in-experience because its the free option.

The FWA use experience too, they also realise the importance of having a ref that knows what he is doing, one with experience and the knowledge of the business.

Finally, if something goes wrong in a match, there are the wrestlers and the ref in the ring, and you need a ref who knows what to do and who is not going to panic or look like a lost soul if something does happen. The simple things that make a match look good can only be gained by experience.

Agree with original poster and Gary here. We use former pro wrestler Jay Jay "Rowdy" Yates - who has countless years fo experience in the business. He has just come back from a referees convetion in the Us and takes his job extremely seriously, as he should. The ref isn't just there to maintain control -he's there to keep things safe. No "angles" - no "works" - if Jay Jay stops the match - the match is over! Our refereees have AUTHORITY - which is lacking nowadays certainly amongst the US feds.

Majik

Sorry Majik and Gary' date=' never heard of any of your referee's before. I am sure that if they have been around as long as they/you claim they have been then I would have run into them somewhere.[/quote']

Funny enough spinner Phil never heard of you too...

Phil used to wrestle and work for Dale Martin, and the crabtrees in the early 80's. ( I have seen the bills, posters.)

Just because you never bumped into them or worked with them does not mean anything really. Like I said he never heard of you, I am sure many wrestlers have not heard of you.

Edited by wrestle-zone

I could'nt agree more with the posts here

The main Fed that i watch - FCW - has strong talent (IMO)

however they have TWO referees.

Joel - the VERY young looking, afro/beehive sporting zebra

and

The other one - the slightly older, goatee and pony tail sporting, strange accent guy

Now im not sayingthat they are bad, because they have a tough job, and it can be daunting standing in front of all the people who are waiting for you to mess up. Which they sometimes do.

Bless him, but Joel cant stop laughing and smiling at the audience and it does detratct a small way from the match. Missing a count or low blow etc becasue of outside interference as part of the match is ok. But to miss a count because of a fan shouting "nice hair" ,or something, is not right surely.

(And im sure he's more interested in looking at Emerald's top rack than watching the Judge use his mallet.)

The other guy is alright, apart from the strange accent, and is a little older. Its just a shame he dosent make every show.

OK, I give in.

Every forum you go to these days, you make a post and some **** head twat who thinks they know everything about wrestling has to have a personal go at you.

Not just the smart marks, or usual knob heads, but people who think that because they have run a few poxy shows they know everything about everything.

Sorry Majik and Gary' date=' never heard of any of your referee's before. I am sure that if they have been around as long as they/you claim they have been then I would have run into them somewhere.[/quote']

I'll be honest - I hadn't heard of Jay Jay until we bumped into Dalibar Singh and a few of his former mates in Leicester and they just went for it on road stories! Great stuff.

Either way, Jay Jay is a cracking referee, and the point of it all is that he brings authority to the ring - experience, confidence - the whole package.

I agree with what has been said though - there needs to be a bit of a review within some feds of refereeing standards - they really can take away a huge amount of a match.

Majik

OK, I give in.

Every forum you go to these days, you make a post and some **** head twat who thinks they know everything about wrestling has to have a personal go at you.

Not just the smart marks, or usual knob heads, but people who think that because they have run a few poxy shows they know everything about everything.

If thats aimed at me, I was not having a go at you personal or otherwise, it appeared to be the other way round, well not appeared it was. You need to stop being so bitter, but name calling is a little shitty even from someone like you......

OK, I give in.

I'm afraid this guy, in his own way has got a point here guys, but let me put it in another, more sociably friendly way.

Firstly, it's great to find fully trained payable referees, but they are few and far between, because you can afford them, it does appear to me like you''re rubbing your cash in front of less well off federation's faces.

Yes an authoritative ref looks good, yes it's great when you have them from a wrestling background but if you look at it from another perspective. If we talk say top end ref, and I mean the guy, who's wrestled, knows all the rules and has a first aider certificate or is trained in Emergency Medical Procedure, then that guy could be asking as much, if not more than some professional wrestlers get paid.

Second thing is, that a ref needs to be respected and I pity the fed that allows their wrestlers to abuse a ref or ignore him, he is the lawgiver in that ring, trainee, trained chimp or uber ref.

The other thing I would like to point out about hiring refs, is that they don't know the wrestlers well enough to judge if they are really hurt or not from a glance. Someone who works with the wrestlers and has seen them go down like a sack of S*** when an accident happens before will.

Bigger feds will be able to splash the cash on some luxurious ref, but please, don't take the moral high ground because you can. It's like you are putting people down because they are poor.

Regards,

Saracen

I posted this thread to start a discussion about referees. Most of you seem to have grasped that, however I am dismayed that "Spinner" appears to have gone off at a tangent just because he has never bumped into them.

WE (GPW) use trainees as Refs as a way of giving the trainees more experiance, granted we dont just let ANY trainee ref, we give the position as Ref to the trainees that have come on in ability more than others and would truly benefit from being in the ring working as a Ref.

We do how ever understand the importance of the 3rd man in the ring and the role he plays, there for befor a trainee is aloud to Ref, he is given a few weeks worth of training in the role.

Ok well here we go, confession time.. I used to ref in a promotion and managed to get on the show basically as a trainee (the company didn't have trainees but i was training elsewhere and had that promotions approval that i could ref).

Now Lee's point in my opinion is valid as our everyone elses to be honest. As a trainee the in ring experience was invaluable and truly shone a new light on the business for me rather than the actual training. I was truly grateful to get the opportunity to get in the ring with the wrestlers and learn from them as the matches went on. I am also grateful for the way that i wasn't looked down on as a non wrestler and actually got a lot of guidance both before, during and after the show.

Obviously ideally all promotions would want a long term wrestling based pro in the ring as ref but as has been pointed out, for a lot of the smaller promotions that isn't possible. I Know that with the help i was given and the fact that i tried really damn hard for the shows i did (not to look good but simply to try and lot let the wrestlers down) that i think i managed well in the situation.

Ok I had no professional ref training but i am not a dumb ass and things did get out of hand and the wrestlers gave me the benefit of the doubt and when someone got injured they did listen to me, did take it home quickly and did give the wrestler time to recover whilst continuing and finishing the match.

I didn't mean this to turn into a portrayal of my refereeing but to make one point. Not all promotions can get the good names but with a good group of wrestlers on the card, the enthusiasm to learn of a trainee ref can in fact be tapped into to produce a far better off individual in the business.

So don't be so quick to critisise the trainee ref as we all have to learn somehow. And i know for a fact that i learnt more about wrestling and phycology from the few shows i ref'd than i did from months in the gym.

• Like 1

The Assignment,that was a great post and the only way to gain experience is to learn.

Shame there isnt any experienced refs about who can pass their knowledge down to those who are willing.

As Saracen had said in a post a few weekes ago...managers,refs,commissioners...too few of the support cast.

Someone somewhere must want to be one these guys?

Phil Robinson is ALWAYS more than willing to pass on his advise and take class's to teach people ether to Ref, OR something that people REALLY need to learn, how to use a Ref in there match.. Gary will be able to pass on more Info about Phil and how to contact him if you wanted to have him come to take a class...

Well if anyone wants a trainee ref with a bit of trainging under his belt and needs one around salsibury then i am your man!

been a long time since i was in a ring and i miss it. so long as i get to bump a bit then i'll be fine. No great aspirations as of yet to be a wrestler. Being a skinny bugger i am also a realist and ui ain't gonna be the next benoit by any stretch of the imagination. Just any chance to get involved in the business again would be good!