Should He Stay Or Should He Go?

The Crippler

Should Gerard Houllier step down or be removed from his position at Liverpool?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gerard Houllier step down or be removed from his position at Liverpool?

• Yes
    • No

Speaking as a Liverpool fan, I think it is time he stepped down.

I take no pleasure in saying this. He really straightened out the team when he came in, got rid of the dead wood, took the team to their highest position in eleven years, got them to the quarter final of the champions league and won several trophies which, while not the major ones, still got the club back to a better level than they'd been at for some time.

I look back on that season, 2001/02, which was actually Houllier's best season. Bizarre when you consider that's the season he fell ill. We beat European champions Bayern Munich in the Supercup; got to the quarter finals of the champions league, where we were unlucky to be knocked out by Bayer Leverkusen; and we finished second in the Premiership. I remeber thinking that the following season, we would really push on and really challenge for both the big european and domestic honours. I'm sorry to say it, but the fact that we didn't is largely down to Houllier.

All it would've taken was a few quality signings. Instead, we end up with Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou. And this isn't just in retrospect; at the time I was puzzled and dismayed that we would sign these guys for a combined total of over fifteen million when a world cup had just ended. What we needed was a Duff, or someone like him. What we needed was a few players who were better than what we had, and we didn't get them. Thats down to the manager.

I truly believe now that Houllier has taken the club as far as he can. How we've ended up this far behind Man Utd in third (they lost NINE games this season) is beyond me. We've gone so far backwards in the last two seasons, it astounds me. Houllier has laid the groundwork, its time now to bring in someone who can finish the job. And I don't want this to seem like I'm not grateful for what Houllier's done for the club; I am. But I don't want him to mess it up now by staying for longer than he should.

And the Liverpool board should realise this. I'm dead against hiring and firing managers for fun, but Gerard has had six seasons, which is longer than Roy Evans had, and he's spent a hell of a lot of money. Everyone involved with the club loved Roy Evans, but theres no room for sentiment in football, and when it became clear that Roy couldn't take the club to the next level, he had to go. Same rules apply to Gerard.

Another thing: he needs to chill out and realise that not everyone is out to get him. Fans of the club are entitled to their opinion, football journalists are PAID to give their opinion, and their views aren't based on some personal vendetta. Oh, and that referees aren't out to get us more than they are any other team (well, maybe Poll)

I agree.. he has to go. I cant see that Liverpool team doing anything. The signings have been very very poor. They need a shake up at that club because they are miles behind Arsenal, Chelsea and United and will be untill there are some big changes.

Keep him in, its quite amusing to watch Liverpool fans pulling out their hair at how bad the team are! :lol

Seriously thou he is only making Liverpool worse, the team is awful and he doesn't appear to be bringing in any real prove quality to improve things.

Yes he should go, He has been one of the main contributors to liverpool's poor season and a change of manager will help the scousers no end. Also i think that some drastic changes need to be made with the players as well, but a new manager should be able to do that. Something needs to be done to elevate them onto the same level as Man U and Chelsea.

One more season, I say.

The true measure of a man is answered if/when he can learn from his mistakes. Houllier has a bit of money and a WHOOOOOOOOLE lot of deadwood to clear out.

No one knows more than Houllier that he's made some rubbish signings but if he can get rid of those players and learn from his mistakes (ie: bring in better players) I think Liverpool will be much better next season.

Sack him now and you're bringing in another man who will want another 5 years. Allow Houllier the chance to put things right and you'll probably be rewarded.

Cheers!

No one knows more than Houllier that he's made some rubbish signings

Some! Some, almost everyone of his signings have been god awful, lets make a list of good signings that he has bought into the club:

Kewell

Well thats it really, everyother player has been pretty crap, they either haven't performed, haven't had the chance or have been on loan to french clubs! :P

Now lets look at all the youth players Houllier has used from Liverpools famed academy that have become first team regulars while he has been there:

that would be 0, Owen and Gerrard were given first team football under Evans.

When Houllier came in 5 years ago Liverpool where a fairly good side that finished 2nd or 3rd every year. Now Liverpool are a joke of a side who struggle to finish in the top 4, now if that isn't enough to get him sacked I don't know what is.

Sir Alex Ferguson took 5-6 years to take United to the top, thing is after his first 2 seasons he's cleared out the deadwood, removed the clubs drinking habit established a good youth system of which the benefits can now be seen to this day and we were on our way. 5 years down the line for Houllier and he's taken the club from being around 2nd/3rd to fighting for 4th and he's wasted Millions on piss poor signings. As much as I'd like to see this continue, from a Liverpool perspective I suppose he has to go.

as a non liverpool fan i think he should stay because id prefer a team like newcastle to finish above them, but for the good of the british game, he should go and a british manager should be brought in, one that tries youth and doesnt spend cash on foreign players damaging the youth, but fair play to houllier he's wont trophies all be it not the league

Houllier needs to go, I feel hypocritical in a way on this because a season ago I was defending the guy and I honestly felt he'd come good this season. He hasn't, If anything the team have become worse. They depend so much on Steven Gerrard to pick up the pieces it's ridiculous, It's as if Gerrard and perhaps Jamie Carragher also have been the only ones proud of the shirt they are wearing, The rest seem to be there for the easy ride and Houllier is to blame for that.

At the end of the day if he can't get his players to give their all then he needs to go. A prime example of this is Diouf. This kid has masses of potential and could have been a star at Liverpool, But the guys attitude stinks and he has become so arrogant since he arrived at Liverpool it's ridiculous. He needs to be sold.

We need someone with discipline in charge, Someone who isn't going to take any crap of some of the prima donnas we seem to have in our team and Houllier has proven this season that he simply doesn't have that in him.

We've reached the Champions League Qualifying stage yes, That's great...But do we deserve to even be there, I think a simple resounding NO! answers that question. But seeing as Houllier seems to be getting another year, Let's see if he learns from his mistakes and brings in proven quality as opposed to players who have potential, Because that's what Liverpool needs.