The One That Got Away

E2K

In the life of every football fan, there's the memory of the one that got away. The moment when you felt your team were gonna achieve something special, only to have it agonisingly slip away. It could be a cup final, a play-off final, or an important league game, or it could be a relegation that changed the fortunes of your club forever. As an example, here are mine:

As a Liverpool fan: that would be the 1988/89 league championship, final day of the season, Arsenal at home, last minute goal, gut-wrenching. If we'd won that year, we'd have won six championships out of seven, and six out of ten in the eighties. We'd have won the double. The worst part was that I never ever thought we'd lose, right up to that fateful moment. It was about the lowest I've ever felt watching football.

As a Celtic fan: 1995/96 league championship. Rangers were sitting on seven-in-a-row at that stage and this represented our best shot of stopping them equalling the nine-in-a-row. We only lost one game that season (against Rangers at home) and it was the utter inability to beat them that cost us. We ended up losing by four points I think.

As an Irelnad fan: Euro '92. We ended up finishing a point behind England in qualifying thanks to two howlers by our goalie against Poland that let them draw 3-3 after we'd been 3-1 up. I'll always remember two things about that qualifying campaign; #1 absolutely battering England at Wembley, a match we'd have won if Ray Houghton had a bit more composure #2 the final night, when we were winning 3-1 in Turkey, England were losing 1-0 in Poland, and we thought we were through until Lineker scored late. Gut-wrenching. It's even worse looking back cos a VERY ordinary Denmark won that competition. Jack Charlton's Ireland team was at its peak at that time, and I think we'd have had a genuine chance of winning. Oh well.

Anyway, what would yours be?

From a celtic point of view the uefa cup final last year could also be viewed as the one that got away.

In relation to ireland i think World Cup 2002,we blew it against Spain who we should have defeated and with the teams left in the competition,ireland had a good chance of going really far.

League Cup Semi Final from 93/94 against Aston Villa, Bosnich ran out of the box and flattened our player without even going for the ball, he should have been sent off but instead was yellow carded and allowed to play the next game. Alas in the second leg he played out of his skin and then saved the penualty that knocked us out.

After the team went into freefall and we fell out of the automatic promotion spot, didn't get promotion. Peter Johnson didn't want to wait any longer for success and left for Everton, we then had all our money embazzeled and was never the same again. Its weird how one moment in football completely changed the direction that Tranmere was heading at the time.

It was about 3 years ago, and my beloved hammers were doing well in one of the cups (my memory aint that great) and we came up against Villa. After a tough game we got past them on penalties as i remember, and of course all us fans were well chuffed. However the next day in the paper, the Villa manager was in the paper complaining that Manny Ominiyimni (a young west ham player) had played in the cup for two different teams. He had played in an earlier round for bournemouth, and he came on for the last 2 minutes in the West ham game and didnt touch the ball. of course Villa went OTT and the FA called for a replay. And of course, typical West Ham luck, we lost. :(

The one that got away for United in my life time apart from this season and screwing up home games against Arsenal and Chelsea has to be the 94/95 season....

We beat Blackburn home and away, we were on fire in the run in to catch up after bad early season form, we had progressed to the cup final we were on the verge, the verge! And then we had to be beat West Ham who at the time were very ordinary and a modest Everton side... We drew! Liverpool beat Blackburn and we had the ball and me dropped it! Coley hit the post, why!

Then the cup final and we ran into two players having their last great game... Rideout and Southall.... It felt like my world had ended and then Cantona nearly left as well, That was a bad season for a red.

I think a better day for a West Ham was when you deservedly knocked us out of the FA Cup in the 5th round' date=' think it was 2001.... Although Di Canio looked offside...[/quote']

I must admit, that was a great day. And i posted a few chants concerning mr barthez in another thread, which showed my joy! But you did get your own back afterwards, we lost our next game against you 6-0 i beleive.