Donnie Darko

Paul

Donnie Darko has got to be one of the greatest films I've ever seen, but it has one tiny flaw- no one knows what the hell its about. Everyone whos tried to explain the film has tried to explain it to me, but theres always a flaw in their reasoning.

Please help me.

As far as I get it to save everybody from what happens to them in the film he has to go back to the start of the film and be killed by the plane engine that goes back in time. The worm hole things explained in Mrs Deaths book which Darko see's are explained as a sub plot to try and make you see the fact that cause and effect is real but this is a hugely extreme case. With the exstitance of the worm holes the engine wouldn't be there to kill Darko and make everything go back on track which is pulled apart by Frank...

In the end though I gathered its a cool film that no one is supposed to truely understand but take a lesson from.

But why can Donnie see Frank? He died before (after!) Donnie first met him, so why does he see him in Franks past/Donnies now? And why does Frank help Donnie, the man who killed him? And when Donnie dies it means that Patric Swayzes pedo character doesnt get caught. Bad thing.

Ah, listen to this then... Donnie is stuck between two worlds, he is living in the world where he hasn't died which is linked to the one were he does by the wormholes... He has a choice, to follow one or the other path, die and save his mum, sister, his girl and Frank or don't and lose everything. The film is about him learning what he must do and how to deal with difficult choices....

The reason his mom gets on the plane is because he exposes the pedo and the dance teacher stays to lobby his defence, so in a sense its bad but also nessecary plus at the end everyone has a nagging feeling that something else has happened, suggesting that the two possible futures have merged

Maybe because Frank was the only actual one to die by Donnies hand he was like a inter diminational spirit, one who must insure that his life wasn't taken in vain and Donnie must perform something good to atone... Then he is ready to undertake te ultimate sacrifice and allow his own life to end for the good of others. Frank is the catalyst and guide to Donnie's journey.

And at that point after the death of Frank and his girl Donnie began to see what he had to do, Frank was in a sense a martyr, he gives Donnie the advice and guidence that leads to his own death and in part through this the conclusion to Donnies journey which see's himself die to save everything damaged by his continued presence.
  • Like 1

Maybe Franks whole purpose from the narrative point of view is to bind the story together in several places, his actual characters killing is questionable, it isn't needed but it gels the story together and leads it to a conclusion...

Face it only Stephen Hawking can fully comprehend this film, me try and fall flat on our faces.

One slightly confusing thing is that Frank is the one who says "wake up Donnie" and gets him out of bed to meet him, before the plane crash happens.

One theory I have heard is that when the worm-hole happens, a "new" universe is created which shouldn't be there, and if it's not fixed it will destroy them both, so in a sense Donnie has to go back and die to prevent the two worlds being destroyed.

Also the bit when Mad World plays is all about the characters remembering something that has happened in the alternate universe, and one of them is the old teacher remembering that there's something dodgy about Patrick Swayze.

Drew Barrymore was sat up worrying because she thinks she'll lose her job.

The fat girl is smiling because she remembers when Donnie Darko told her everything would be ok for her one day.

Partick Swayze is crying because he remembers being found out.

And Frank sits there looking kind of stunned and then puts his hand up to his eye, because he remembers getting shot.

Oh, and apart from all that being cool, the music rules too.

Ed