The Rock's Movie Career...

Walshy

The Rocks movie career continues to be troubled. After the complete box office flop of the Run Down (later renamed Welcome to the Jungle of International Release) it was hoped that the Rocks new movie (Walking Tall) would to better.

Well sadly that is not the case. The movie cost $46 million to produce and they spent $25 million to advertise the film. Unfortunatly the film only grossed $43 Million, not even making its production costs back.

While this does not spell the end of the rocks movie career it really does put into question is ability to draw. This will directly affect his ability as a leading man, while he still has a few contracts for films already signed it must be questioned how many more will now be coming his way.

But the future does not look better for the Rock, with his wwe contract currently about to expire and with very little talk of a new one being arranged there could be further trouble ahead for 'the great one'. Currently the wwe promote The Rocks films for free, doing special offers for people who have seen the film, as a result a large portion of the people who see Rocks films are wrestling fans. But if his contract runs out then the wwe will likely no longer promote his films and his popularity with the wrestling fans will suffer as a result.

Just how much longer the Rock will be a leading man of Hollywood remains to be seen, but if he doesn't start drawing soon then he will either have to accept roles as supporting actors or return to the wwe, red faced from his failure as a movie star.

To be fair, he is working with lacklustre scripts. My mom went with me to see Welcome To The Jungle and said that she thought he was a highly believeable and commendable actor, but that the movie was just plain crap. I would echo that sentiment.

However, I would wait to see how the new Be Shorty film goes. Of course, he has John Travolta and Danny DeVito at his side, but then he seems to work well with other good actors (see The Mummy Returns) and good scripts (The Scorpian King). I think as long as he remains a competant actor and continues to pick out the movies with the best scripts and the most likeliness to be something (such as Be Shorty), he should be ok. If they start to bomb, then I'd worry.

I don't think that the Rocks films are particually bad, the problem is that they aren't particually good either. His last 2 moives have obviously been watched by wrestling fans who have then told people its nothing special and not really worth seeing unless your a fan.

This brings up the point of his wrestling future, will wrestling fans still always go to see his movies if a) the wwe doesn't promote them and b) if he isn't wrestling anymore?