Great wrestlers make great matches

E2K

Y'know when someone says of a wrestler that he's good at "leading" his opponents, or that he "led" another wrestler in a match? I think that the ability to do that is what marks out the great workers from the rest. The best that I personally have ever seen at doing this would be Bret Hart, Kurt Angle, Randy Savage and Shawn Michaels.

These are four of the best I've ever seen in my time watching wrestling. There are also so many of my favourite matches that involve one of them, brilliant matches that would have been crap had they not been involved.

You'd have a wrestler whose mat skills were basic or whose ring psychology was fairly non-existent, and you put him in the ring with one of these guys, and time and time again they seemed to turn lead to gold and drag A+ performances out of C- (at best) opponents. I think thats a very rare talent for a wrestler.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

You can add guys like Jericho and Flair to that list. Not only are they able to drag *** or **** out of a * or ** opponent, they also have the innate ability to make their opponent look like a million bucks.

I'll admit that when I saw the thread title I was thinking "Well that's a blatent truism," but it's a good discussion point you've brought up.

So, who can get **** out of a stiff? Or, on the flipside, who seems to drag their opponent down - whether willfully or just through lack of talent?

Angle, Benoit, HBK, Bret/Owen Hart (in their day), Flair (in his day, when ever that was), Lance Storm...etc...etc

There are many great masters of the ring in wrestling who can drag people to good matches, however there is one man no one in the wrestling world could drag to a good match...Nathern Jones!!

i think the term for the wrestlers you talk about is Ring General. These are the guys that lead the way through matches and basically control where its going. As far as i know, of the current guys Angle is one such person, and yes it seems no matter who he has a match with it turns out quite well. There are a few "Ring Generals" around in the WWE but i dont know who they are off hand.

The ones you named were good' date=' but not allways in the ring. Savage led others on the mic![/quote']

Whoa whoa whoa! No bad mouthing the Macho Man now. Look at his wrestlemania 7 match against the two-move wonder that was the ultimate warrior, or the wrestlemania 5 match against Hogan, which still stands as one of Hulk's best matches ever, in my opinion. But as far as ring generals go, yeah, I would have to agree that he wasn't the ABSOLUTE best. Still pretty good though.

Terry Funk in his prime was a master, Jerry Lawler also, they were two guys in the 70's and 80's (if you watch the tapes) who you could put in at short notice with anyone and have a great match on your card... As for today in the US it has to be Angle, look at how good Cena looked in his first match when he was a jolly green giant? Or even how good Show looks when hes in the ring with him! Miracle worker.