euro 2004

E2K

You know, its just around the corner now. How do you guys think England will do? And more importantly, who do you think will win (hahaha, only messin')?

Hard to see past France myself, but then I said that about the world cup as well. I'd still make them my favourites, along with Italy and Portugal.

I am not kidding myself, i really dont think we (england) have the quality and the talent to win. The team is disorganised thanks to our foriegn manager and our showbiz midfielder is losing form and playing not too great. The winners of Euro 2004 will either be france, or maybe Portugal on home soil.

The thing is with England is if things go well at first then we achieve things but I get the point, all of our key players have been off form and our manager was looking like a Chelsea shoe in at one point... All depends on the first game though,will they prove themshelves or fall apart? You never know until you watch so although I always hope England can pull it off I know deep down its going be tougher every year to achieve at this level.

France or Italy I'll say. Probably France as they've still got the best players and have got out of that blip they had a few years ago. Outside France or Italy, you've always got Spain, Portugal and Holland. Out of those three I'd say Portugal as they're on home soil and the Spanish always seem to struggle in these tournaments but still, they're bound to come good at some stage.

Can't see England or Germany doing any damage in the tournament.

The Dutch have a very good chance, if they play like they did against the Scots in the second leg then no one could hold them, and I'm not getting at the Scot's, I wanted you guys there more then the Dutch... It'd mean Van was fresh for next season...

I see a few of you saying that the Dutch may pull something off, but i cant see it really. They are not a top quality side and when compared to many of the other countries they fall short. Currently i would say Italy, Portugal, Checzh(sp) republic and obviously France are all higher quality sides.

I have to disagree about Holland not being a strong side. I mean who do you want up front today? Van Nistelrooy? Kluivert? Makaay? Robben? van der Vaart? van der Meyde? Hasselbaink?

You've got Overmars, Cocu, Davids, van Bommel and Paauwe in midfield. Hofland, Bouma, de Boer, Reiziger, Stam and van der Sar defending the goal.

None too shabby. Especially compared to the Czech Republic!

If they could only get along, though...

Cheers!

Depending on if Erikson brings a team full of regulars, or if he spices it up a bit with a few fresh faces, we could do well. I would love to see Shaun Wright-Phillips and other young and very talented stars called up, and maybe even playing in the first team. Still reckon France will do it though.

Y'know, I sense a lot of pessimism from the England fans on TWO about your chances. This is in stark contrast to the English media, who always seem to talk up England's chances to the point where optimism crosses the line into arrogance. No doubt it'll be the same this year as the competition gets closer; England will win, Beckham is the best player on the planet, 1966 and all that, the usual bull.

Well, I'll tell you what, if England had a halfway decent manager, I honestly think they'd have a great chance of winning. He's basically thrown away the chance to bed players into the team in friendlies, meaning that England will be under-prepared as a team, whereas the players of the likes of France and Portugal will be a proper team who know each others games inside out. For someone who seems to be at every Premiership game, the guy doesn't have a clue. Right now, of all the "home" nations, Ireland, Scotland and Wales have infinitely better managers. These are guys that do things the RIGHT way. For all the money the FA are paying Erikkson, they're getting taken to the cleaners.

The best an England fan can hope for now is that he takes the Chelsea job in the summer (cos Mourinho isn't officially appointed yet), and let somebody else do the job. A side with Campbell, Terry, Cole, Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard and Owen should be doing well but I don't think they will with him in charge.

Hmmm . . . matter of fact, on second thoughts, leave him in charge. I couldn't bear hearing "2006 and all that" for the next forty years. My head would explode.

Why all the bitterness to England?

Yeah we all know the press builds us up as the best thing ever but the general public don't believe that for a second. We have talented players but not in the class of France/Italy, everyone knows that.

Maybe all the bitterness is because we qualified and no one else from the Home Nations were good enough to qualify for Euro 2004.

I'm looking forward to cheering the boys on in the Summer, anything past the second round is a huge bonus.

Maybe all the bitterness is because we qualified and no one else from the Home Nations were good enough to qualify for Euro 2004

Nope, don't even go there. I never have bitterness about England qualifying for anything. It just gets to me how over-bearing the English media get around major championships that England are involved in. Sorry if I caused offence.

For the record, the main jist of my post was to say that England have a great chance of winning things if they get a decent manager. The reason I brought the other home nations into it is cos, if they can get good managers (and don't have to pay them a fortune) I don't see why England can't.

That's all. No bitterness.

Ok i just want to go on the record and say france WILL NOT win euro 2004, if they do i will do a streak!

They qualified from a group that scotland would have topped with ease.

I have been singing the praises of the cheq republic but they seem to have faded recently.

If your a betting man (i am) the teams to put your money are both Sweden and Italy.

E2K, I know what you mean about the English media. They are scum.

For 23 out of every 24 months where England are not in tournaments they vilify the manager (whoever it is) for anything - anything at all. When a World Cup arrives Sven is all of a sudden the best man for the job and we are the best, etc etc.

Sickening.

I support the Welsh, but also like to see England do well. It's about time Wales qualified for something and I think they can qualify for Germany 2006, the group doesn't look too tough.

As for Sven. I think he is a fantastic manager, one of the best, and way waaaaay out of Mark Hughes', Berti Vogts' or Lawrie Sanhez's leagues.

I say look out for Holland and for van Nistelrooy to win golden boot, even if I hate the Utd scum.

Cheers!

I think he is a fantastic manager' date=' one of the best, and way waaaaay out of Mark Hughes', Berti Vogts' or Lawrie Sanhez's leagues[/quote']

Whoa, I never said anything about Lawrie Sanchez! I just feel like Hughes, Vogts and Kerr are doing a better job with smaller squads and on a fraction of the salary.

As for Wales, I wouldn't mind seeing them qualify for something, they're due some luck!