Gimmicks?

drunkenHobbit

I dont know whether this has been posted before previously (and if it has feel free to delete it) but:

In days gone by the major wrestling companies all had a host of Gimmick Wrestlers. Even the supposedly gimmick-free wrestlers all had a little something perculiar to distinguish (seperate) themselves from each other.

Countless times in the playground you would see someone doing a wrestling signature move or taunt. Or mimicking their favourite wrestler in their trademark way.

Boy i miss those days.

I miss greatly the days of the Bushwackers and their crazy walk, the electricty of the Rockers, the foolishness of Doink and Dink, a dentist, a trashman, an accountant, a king, a barber, a model, a cop, the list goes on.

But what do we have today as Gimmicks?

A one legged kid, an over the hill patriot, tables, a priest, a fashion wannabe?

Wrestling today has no real gimmick left apart from the odd gesture (such As R-V-D), or the return of an Legend (read HBK, Hogan, Piper or the eternal 'Taker)

Kane lost his Gimmick with his mask, Triple H now uses "being an A-hole" (in and out of the ring it seems) as his Gimmick, Austin's attitude gimmick was lost the first time he walked out and there is not a single decent tag-team gimmick left (except maybe the Dudleys).

Im not worried about the potential backlash this post might get, and i am willing to take all comments squarely. But i attend quite a few British Wrestling shows that have Gimmicks in them still, and they work!

Does anybosy else harbour these fond memories or am i just a wandering nomad in the history of sports entertainment?

What gimmicks did you like, and what gimmicks, if any, would you like to see?

Edited by drunkenHobbit

For me Cena's gimmick has a lot of potential if used correctly and tes while their are gimmicks now there not good... I mean Benoit is the killer, the one who can make you tap in so many ways but tell me how long has he been that?

The best gimmick though had to be the Jericho wise ass one in WCW before he jumped...

Hurricane is a gimmick.

Rico is a gimmick.

Bashams have a gimmick.

JBL, Cena, Booker, HBK, HHH...

Pretty much all the wrestlers still have gimmicks.

Except Orlando Jordan. But then again Boyo did say "wrestlers".

Cheers!

i love gimmicks but i am getting bored of the WWEs i remember the golden era of 94 where you had a sumo wrestler, a clown, a accontant (IRS),a millionaire and a guy who had been exposed to nuclear chemicals!! this is what wrestling is all about, not good athletes, gimmicks are the past and the future

I don't think the creative (if I can call them that) team would know how to write a good gimmick now, I mean look what they did to Kane's, and the sorry excuse for the 'real' Taker and the Hurricane! A great gimmick, a talented performer and what does he get? Rosey... Has Rosey understood what the intinials of Super Hero In Training spell yet? I'll give you a clue... Its sums him up to a tee.

The best gimmicks and niches come from the wrestlers persona or ideas for his character himself. Cena, Richards and the most recent JBL are all examples of gimmicks either brewed by the wrestler (Richards) or their real life persona Cena and JBL. The thing about gimmicks is for them to be a success the wrestler has to buy the gimmick. The Rico and Hurricane gimmicks have got accross so well because Helms and Rico enjoy their roles, and Rico in particular researched for the role. Before his 'GM' niche was abruptly ended by the idiot Stephanie Macmahon, Stevie Richards gimmick on Heat was getting over big time because all the ideas and segments were brewed up form his head so obviously he performed them to the best of his ability.

So basically in a round about way I am saying, yes gimmicks can be great but only when the wrestler handed the gimmick a) enjoys it b) exploits it c) has a creative handle in the character direction

I use to like the goon, the Ice hocky player :)

I think gimmicks should still be used in a small dose. But sometimes gimmicks just get way over the top and kill that wrestlers career. If they are well thought out gimmicks, then I can't see the harm in that :)

Steve

This may sound contradictory, but the thing is no-one takes gimmicks seriously anymore. When you had guys like IRS, Isaac Yankem etc etc you beleived these people were who they said they were. Now thanks to smarks/internet and other things people dont beleive them anymore, (another thing may be that some gimmicks have become tired, stale or just crap).

When I watch wrestling though I know its pure ficition and escapeism and thats why I enjoy the gimmicks, there not real but their is story to be had there and used for entertainment...

I mean a great example is CM Punk and Raven who use their real lives to power their gimmicks and their polar extreme opposite characters make a great fued, even though they like each other in real life...

There are some gimmicks that don't die because of the crowd's own deepest feelings toward 'em.

For instance...Vinnie's "A-hole" Boss gimmick works well, because people would love to beat the crap outta their own boss - simple as.

Hurricane works because people read comics, and it seems to be fine having a 'superhero' like him in the WWE.

However, Retards don't work - for me, anyway. From the bits I HAVE seen of Eugene, despite the comeidic nature and crowd 'over-ness' of the gimmick, it's just not right to continually use these dumb 'socially inept' stereotypes, no matter how gifted the wrestler really is.

There coulda been a better way to work him in - but now, he'll just be known as Raw's 'jackass of the year', all because somebody thought it'd be funny to offer such a ridiculous gimmick. It might be working, but it sure as hell doesn't make 'Eugene' look like a wrestlin' genius. Oo

Poor guy. :P

And Coach should stick to commentary...his 'badboy black' commentator act is gettin' old - real old. Oo;

• 2 weeks later...
i love gimmicks but i am getting bored of the WWEs i remember the golden era of 94 where you had a sumo wrestler' date=' a clown, a accontant (IRS),a millionaire and a guy who had been exposed to nuclear chemicals!! this is what wrestling is all about, not good athletes, gimmicks are the past and the future[/quote']

Extremely provoked by what you're saying here. You're saying that you would, for example, see Honky Tonk Man, Doink, Duke the Dumpster or Kamala wrestle than let's say Billy Kidman, Paul London, Akio, Sonjay Dutt, Amazing Red or any other great athlete? The days of wrestling being a show for fat, non-talented idiots strapped with a clever gimmick is over my friend. The thing is to combine these things. Have a good gimmick AND a talent. Why can't Cruiserweights have gimmicks? Why can't other, non-cruiserweights with talent have gimmick? Because the only reason why non-talented wrestlers survive in the business is because of gimmick. Now don't get me wrong here, I love the Undertaker as much as anyone, and chills run down my spine every time his entrance music is heard, but where would he have been without his dead-man gimmick? What I'm saying is, the days of catchy gimmicks, non-talented wrestlers are over. Let's just hope that Smackdown, with its new concept of extreme gimmicks manages to give them to someone talented.

And regarding Eugene... I find the gimmick fun and entertaining, and I cannot remember someone getting over so quickly. But, where will he go from now? Will he always be Eugene the dimwit? Will he suddenly recover? Giving someone such an extreme gimmick in the start of their career could be damaging as well.

The days of wrestling being a show for fat' date=' non-talented idiots strapped with a clever gimmick is over my friend. The thing is to combine these things.[/quote']

Like LOD, Demolition, Million Dollar Man, Ultimate Warrior and Sgt Slaughter did?

Why can't Cruiserweights have gimmicks?

They do have gimmicks: Rey, Akio, Noble etc...ALL HAVE GIMMICKS

the days of catchy gimmicks' date=' non-talented wrestlers are over. Let's just hope that Smackdown, with its new concept of extreme gimmicks manages to give them to someone talented.[/quote']

Like JBL?

And regarding Eugene... I find the gimmick fun and entertaining' date=' and I cannot remember someone getting over so quickly. But, where will he go from now? Will he always be Eugene the dimwit? Will he suddenly recover? Giving someone such an extreme gimmick in the start of their career could be damaging as well.[/quote']

Yeah, no matter how they push him, Eugene seems doomed.

Cheers!

I personally love gimmicks,

Perhaps WWE could have a rogue element soldier who sticks bags over people's heads and takes photographs? Rico would love it!

As for the Eugene gimmick, when i first heard of it, I really didn't think it would work, a disabled person having the same wrestling dream as able bodied people, but in the light of the American Dream it is perfect for a gimmick, we Brits may not understand it, but WWE is mainly for an American audience.

We can sit here and criticise the idea till we turn blue, it really isn't going to matter, WWE only cares about US opinions and right now they need as much feelgood factor as they can manage and Eugene is filling the role for American compassion perfectly. Us b*tching about it would be likened to a middleclass Iowan talking about the finer points of Arsenal's season.

I agree with Boyo, Eugene will probably not last, but hell, for X hundred thousand dollars an apearance, I'd make myself act that way, one retirement fund sorted, shave the beard and hair, then a new gimmick and awayyyyy we go!

Regards,

Saracen

But what im asking trellian is dont you miss those dys' date=' even just the smallest amount:?:[/quote']

Well, maybe.. but I was young then. Now, when watching vintage wrestling, I become amazed at how slow-paced and lousy wrestling was in the old days. Sure, the gimmicks were entertaining, but I value the athleticism more.