Owen to Barcelona

Pabster

Hey,

There are very stong rumours going round that Michael Owen will sign for Barca in the Summer. Now, I have mixed feelings over this. Owen is a fantastic player and goal scorer when he is in a rich vein of form, but sucks so bad when he goes a few games without scoring. He provided me with my favourite day/match/moment of all time when he scored the 2 late goals at Cardiff to sink Arsenal, on the coach home that night everyone was just in awe of his talent. Has been a fantastic figure for our club for the last few years but we've had a stinker last two seasons and Owen wants titles and can go to the big clubs and win them.

There have been reports that there is going to be a massive clear out in the Summer (Heskey, Diouf, Diao, Henchoz and even BAROS are rumoured to be exiting) and many new faces being brought in (Cisse, Mexes, Barton, Wright Phillips and Kezman) so it'll be a very interesting summer and a vital season for us next year.

With Cisse confirmed to come in, hopefully he can have an impact on the Premiership like Henry has had. That'll sure make up for Owen's departure. It'll be gutting to see him go but times change, and he needs a change and I think Liverpool need to build the team around Stevie G, not Michael Owen. So, it could turn out to be a good thing for us.

If we qualify for the CL, Owen is still predicted to leave but we'll still get rid of the players above and bring in the new guys too.

If we don't qualify for the CL, we're buggered.

If you do leave Michael, thank you for the memories especially on that sunny day in Cardiff (and I guess i'll have to forgive you about that penalty miss in the Portsmouth match which I still get upset about)

What do you think Owen will do? What should he do?

Cheers.

I reckon he should go, he has not been the best player this season for Liverpool and i really think they should cash in on him now while they still can. If Owen stayed with the scousers next season and played like he has this year, his value would decrease dramatically. Dont get me wrong, on his day Micheal can be one of the best strikers around, its just that his days seem to be few and far between as of late. Even without these rumours, Liverpool need a new, high quality striker who can deliver on a constant basis.

I've considered Michael Owen to be overrated for a while now, he hasn't been in any sort of great form and Liverpool's inability of late to challenge for honours reflects that. A lot of Liverpool fans won't hear any questions against him, much like people berated Keegan for selling Andy Cole when he wasn't doing a great deal for Newcastle, but like that situation I think Liverpool would do well to sell him. There is still a lot of hype surrounding him so I think they could get really good money for him, which would be the smart option for Liverpool in my view. Owen was a great striker for them, but now his form isn't as good and selling him would allow Liverpool to build as a team rather than as a collection of players who have to try to set up Michael Owen with every chance.

I think Michael Owen is a fantastically talented striker who is made to look so poor in a mediocre, underperforming Liverpool side.

He's been starved of service all season, and has been battling injury, and has written off this season because of the rubbish start Liverpool had, but has still scored goals, and is still England's biggest goal threat despite the emergence of Rooney and Beattie.

Scousers will hate me for saying this but having Michael Owen in your starting line-up flatters your side immensely. He's far too good for the side he's in, and despite obviously loving the club and the fans, doesn't want to be remembered as the guy who didn't win anything.

Michael Owen will probably actually drool at the prospect of having Ronaldinho, Kluivert, Saviola and Xavi setting goals up for him. Let's be honest, it's a better prospect than Diouf, Cheyrou, Smicer, Murphy and (arguably) Kewell.

I think he should go. he's being wasted at Liverpool and he'd have a second lease of life in Spain alongside Ronaldinho and Saviola.

Cheers!

I think Owen should leave, but if he wants to leave to got win something then he should stay well away from Barcelona, he's have more chance of winning major honors at Aldershot than Barca.

But anyway, if Owen goes then Liverpool are in even more trouble, sure there going to bring in some new faces but in true Liverpool form their not going to bring in great talent. Look at Cisse, every journalist that comments on him says he's pretty average, I think that fact that only Liverpool have been interested in him speaks wonders for how good he really is. Liverpool need to be out there signing the talent that people are sure will be a success, not the talent who they won't have to compete for.

Look at Duff, Liverpool could hace had him, but they wouldn't go that extra little step, thats the problem, Liverpool just won't put that little bit extra in to sign real quality.

Yeah you have a point Walshy, we are real tight with our money when it comes down to real top class players and we don't go over a certain price level. Put together all the money we have wasted on squad players and you're looking at £25m if not more!

What happened to the "Boy" at the end of your name Walshy? :D

The fact is Liverpool need a new manager, they need to off load all the dead wood that mostly came in the summer after the world cup, I mean Houiller must have been sat there half asleep and saw Diouf do one good thing and ended up buying him... Then he finally finished his cornflakes and relised what he had done.

If Owen wants to capture the form that made him such a awesome piece of talent for England and Liverpool then I suggest he moves to Spain and also if he does don't hire Rebecca Loos...

Duff?!! Why the hell would we have wanted Duff, Walshy?!! Why, our wonderful leader Gerard Houllier signed Diouff, Diao and Cheyrou shortly after Duff destroyed the Spanish defence in a world cup, for less than Duff would've cost, and look at all they've done for the club! I mean, why score a hatful of goals when you can spit at a crowd of Celtic supporters?? Couldn't even be a man and do it at Old Trafford!!

On a more serious note, Houllier needs to stop blaming injuries and refs for whats happened to Liverpool and look at himself. Owen wants trophies, good luck to him, but he ain't gonna get them at Anfield while Houllier is in charge. This club has taken gigantic steps backwards since 2002 when we finished second and got to the q/f of the champions league. Thats Houlliers fault and thats why Owen is on his way. Still, I say good luck to Barca trying to keep him fit, confident and in form for five minutes.

Edited by E2K

I tell you that if you can a man who any club needs to buy is Fernando Morenties, he's always been a top class striker and for some reason Madrid son't want him... If I was Barca I'd buy him and I was Liverpool I wouldn't go after Smith, Wright-Phillips or Barton cos their cheap due to their clubs circumstances, no I'd buy Fernando.

What happened to the "Boy" at the end of your name Walshy? :D

It died the death, sad I know but I'm sure in time you will be able to accept it and move on. :D

But on to the more serious subject:

Duff?!! Why the hell would we have wanted Duff, Nicole?!!

Now I posted about Duff, and Nicole hasn't posted in this thread, now this worries me ever so slightly...I can understand why you would get confused though, I mean my name has an L in it and so does Nicole's. :lol

I think Liverpool should have sold Owen a few years ago, when his stock was huge. I've never been Owen's biggest fan, even from the first time I saw him play. I think that he's always going to go on streaks where he just isn't scoring, and for a team like Liverpool challenging for 3rd or 4th place every year, that's not good enough.

If Liverpool had sold Owen a few years ago, they could have easily got £30m for him. He was young, he was scoring for fun and he had a great reputation. Nowadays, they'd be lucky to get £20m for him. He doesn't look like the same player who had the confidence to step up and take a penalty to win Liverpool the game at Wimbledon as a 17 year old.

The thing is though, Barca don't really need a player like Owen. They have Saviola, Ronaldinho and Luis Garcia, 3 forwards who like to get the ball to feet and run at players. They need another targetman like Kluivert, because as you saw against Celtic, when Barca don't have the targetman winning headers, they don't get the chances.

Oh, and by the way, since it's relevant to Liverpool, I thought I'd add this here. It's racial stereotyping, but it made me laugh. The Daily Record's headline to the news that the Thai PM wants to buy a stake in Liverpool- "You'll Never Wok Alone". :D

I'd just like to see top English talent to prove themselves in the European leagues. I think it's great that Beckham is having by and large a great season at Real. Alan Smith claims there is interest from Valancia and Juventus, it would be cool to see how well he does.

As for Barca not needing Owen because they already have 3 strikers who are small and like to run at people, I disagree. There is a reason Barcelona would really want Owen - this is how they play. I can't remember Barcelona having a big target man striker in recent years. They always go for skillful, pacy players who can score goals.

The players in recent memory whohave been anything like target men for Barcelona are Kluivert and Stoichkov. But even those two demanded the ball to their feet.

Owen at Barcelona would be new lease of life but if not Barcelona then he should go to Valencia. He would be the jewel of a strikeforce consisting of Owen, Aimar, Rufete, Vicente, Baraja and Mista.

Awesome.

Cheers!

Valencia should be right back up there next season in both the CL and La Leiga, if I had a choice I'd go to Valencia but Barcalona would also not be a bad move... If Owen does get an offer from Italy though I think he should go there, if you can score in Italy then in most cases you can score anywhere, with the exception of Crespo and Mutu of course.

Now the rumours that Owen is leaving are hotting up again...

Legend has it Owen has been quoted as saying he 'will not leave the club on a Bosman'. Well, he's only got one more contracted year so is he off this summer? To Barca?

Again?

Cheers!