Summer Gigs

E2K

Just realised that I'm going to see my favourite band ever, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, in a little over five weeks. Woooo! Just wondering if anyone else is going to any gigs or festivals over the summer?

I'm going to Download mainly for the second day bill and to see if I can get a bottle right between Chester Benningtons eyes, the sell out bastard...

Went to Rock Am Ring last year and that was one hell of a line, the Germans do know their festivals....

Oh if a security guard gives you crap Charlie just call him a Zwitter, if you've heard Rammstien you'll know what it means...

Festivals im going to are Leeds for the weekend. And hopefully, if i have any money, one of the V festival days to see Muse, Keane and Jet.

Im also going to see Incubus a week tomorrow, and Ash in June. ITs looking like a good summer!

going to download festival next month - should be good i hope. looking forward to korn, monster magnet, span, distillers, metallica.

also hoping to go to one of the days of the reading weekend. dont know which one yet

At the moment I plan to see the G3 concert when it comes over here as I am quite a fan of both Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, so that would give me the chance to see both of them live which would be fantastic.

I might turn up at Donington for the second day - Metallica, Slayer, Machine Head and Slipknot would do me nicely. I also think Soulfly and Damage Plan are playing that day as well so if I can catch them as well that would be good. If there's a clash with any of the bands I mentioned first though I would give them a miss. I'm not actually that fussed on Damage Plan so far but I wouldn't mind seeing Dimebag Darrell play, I always appreciate a good guitarist so catching him, Hammett (who had lessons from Satriani many years ago) and the duo of Hanneman and King in the one day would be fantastic.

At the moment I plan to see the G3 concert when it comes over here as I am quite a fan of both Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, so that would give me the chance to see both of them live which would be fantastic.

I dont mean to make you sound old, but my dad(47 this year) is also a big fan of Satriani and Vai. Due to the fact he listens to them all the time at home i am getting to like them both. I prefer Steve Vai over Joe Satriani at the moment although they both are very very good. I have just heard Vai's album containing all the 7th songs from each album, pure class.

Anyway onto the gigs, i should be going to Download with a coupla mates, but they have been entrusted with getting us there so it may not work out :P Other than that, i think the V Festival should be due soon, which normally has a decent line-up and may be worth seeing.

I dont mean to make you sound old' date=' but my dad(47 this year) is also a big fan of Satriani and Vai. Due to the fact he listens to them all the time at home i am getting to like them both. I prefer Steve Vai over Joe Satriani at the moment although they both are very very good. I have just heard Vai's album containing all the 7th songs from each album, pure class.[/quote']

You don't have to make me sound old - I am old! My Dad first got me into them as well, when I was eight Vai was introduced to me on David Lee Roth's 'Skyscraper' album, then when I was about nine or ten my Dad bought 'Flying In A Blue Dream' by Satch - we used to listen to those albums in the car frequently on trips to Edinburgh so they're kind of a part of my childhood.

I used to prefer Satriani, but now I'm not sure who I prefer, it depends on the day. It took a while for me to get into Vai and understand exactly what he was doing (Satriani perhaps being more accessible to the casual listener), but now I think I'm there. Sometimes they're both a bit out there to appreciate immediately (Flex-Able, Engines Of Creation) but they are both excellent. For The Love Of God, Hand On Heart and Tender Surrender are my favourite Vai 7th songs, but my favourite albums by either of them are Flying In A Blue Dream, Surfing With The Alien, Alien Love Secrets, Fire Garden, Flex-Able and The Extremist.

Do you or your Dad play the guitar Alan, and if so, do you play any of their stuff? I can just about churn out Satriani's The Forgotten (Part I), Day At The Beach (New Rays From An Ancient Sun), Midnight and Tears In The Rain, but I can't play any Vai or anything more complicated by Satriani. If you or your Dad dabble in any of their stuff let me know. :)

Looks like Donington and Leeds/Reading are the main places for most of us.

Do you or your Dad play the guitar Alan, and if so, do you play any of their stuff? I can just about churn out Satriani's The Forgotten (Part I), Day At The Beach (New Rays From An Ancient Sun), Midnight and Tears In The Rain, but I can't play any Vai or anything more complicated by Satriani. If you or your Dad dabble in any of their stuff let me know. :)

My dad owns both an acoustic and an electric guitar, and yes he does his best to belt out tracks by Vai. I cant remember exactly what tracks they are, but for a few of the songs he can belt out the intros really well on the electric. Personally i cant play the guitar to save my life, i tried when i was about 12 but failed miserably and never went back!

I can can play the bass, as its less complicated to play but harder on the fingers due to the strings being thicker so it puts more strain on them. I love to play with just my fingers, but sometimes you just need to play with a plec or the fingers will fall off. I also can play the drums a little as well.

My dad owns both an acoustic and an electric guitar' date=' and yes he does his best to belt out tracks by Vai. I cant remember exactly what tracks they are, but for a few of the songs he can belt out the intros really well on the electric. Personally i cant play the guitar to save my life, i tried when i was about 12 but failed miserably and never went back![/quote']

Fantastic. Vai's stuff seems less accessible to play as although Satriani can be just as complex, he has the odd learnable song whereas with Vai you really need to be almost incredible to get anywhere with anything of his. I can do most of 'Die To Live' (having not yet learnt the middle section properly where it changes), and muck around with easy bits from Hand On Heart, For The Love Of God and The Attitude Song, plus I can play David Lee Roth's 'Damn Good' which has Vai on it, but that's it really. If your Dad can play Jibboom or Juice then let me know so that I can worship him or beg for lessons!

If your Dad can play Jibboom or Juice then let me know so that I can worship him or beg for lessons!

Dont get too carried away there fella, he can play about 20/30 seconds of the intros and thats about it. However he is improving, since he found the acoustic guitar on a skip he has taken to playing the guitar all the time. He keeps downloading tabs off the internet (tabcrawler.com i think) and learning them.

Bit of a trivia question for you now, mainly to improve my knowledge. Any idea how many people vai has worked with? and who they are?

I have an idea, but it's not an extensive list. Firstly he took lessons from Satriani, then he got a job with Frank Zappa (first transcribing his songs for him, then joining the band). After that he did 'Flex-Able' and 'Flex-Able Leftovers' before doing Public Image Limited with Johnny Rotten and other musicians whose names escape me now. After that he joined David Lee Roth's band and did two albums as part of that band.

At around the time he joined up with David Lee Roth he also played a part in a film called 'Crossroads' (which has come on Sky recently a couple of times, keep an eye out for it again as it could probably be shown again soon) where he plays the Devil's guitarist in a duel against Ralph 'The Karate Kid' Macchio. The other major guitarist playing (for Ralph Macchio, apart from his final winning solo which is actually performed by Vai) in that scene was Ry Cooder, so that's technically another collaboration.

After leaving David Lee Roth's band he joined Whitesnake, but around that time he also contributed guitar for Alice Cooper's 'Feed My Frankenstein' (the first recording, Vai thinks, to feature himself and Joe Satriani together), then after one album with Whitesnake he has mostly stuck to his solo work. Technically you could say that he did something with Kiss, even though they didn't meet or arrange it (a film director asked Vai to redo a solo over the top of a Kiss song), from when Vai did the soundtrack to Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey. If you think about the other G3 performances by Vai and Satriani as well, then you can also say that Vai has worked with Eric Johnson, John Petrucci and Yngwie Malmsteen. There are quite a few others though, if I were to dig out my Secret Jewel Box with the Various Artists archive album then I could probably tell you more since he has done other stuff in Japan and with lesser known artists, but I don't have that handy so that's what I can tell you off the top of my head.

What did enthuse me though was reading on Scuzz the other day that Motörhead have a new album coming out in July and one of the songs features Steve Vai! That's another one for you, I look forward hopefully to hearing what they could have done together as I am a massive fan of both Motörhead and Steve Vai.

What can i say MLM but :worship Cheers for that, i have just spoken to my dearest dad, and he said he tries to play quite a few of Vai's tracks, but the one he is doing best on, (and he plays really well) is Tender Surrender.

What can i say MLM but :worship Cheers for that' date=' i have just spoken to my dearest dad, and he said he tries to play quite a few of Vai's tracks, but the one he is doing best on, (and he plays really well) is Tender Surrender.[/quote']

The fact that your Dad plays Tender Surrender really well basically means that your Dad is a legend. :worship I am not worthy!

I know you said he mostly does the introductions, but if you listen to the middle part of that song where it goes fast (it should be on your 7th Songs archive album), that is amazing and emotional playing, if he can play that then he is an absolute hero!

Have a look if you have Sky to check if that 'Crossroads' flm is on again soon though as I'm sure they showed it only last week. It's usually on quite late but if you make sure it's not the Britney Spears film and find it then it's worth watching - the duel is more amusing than anything else but it's still fantastic to see some of the stuff Steve Vai does on it.