EVERYONES OPINION

Fletch

Now we've all been hearing lately about Ted Turner wanting to get back into wrestling and all that stuff and I now while Turner has the money there are a few things in his way.

Firstly the fact WWE has an agreemtn that Turner cant putout competitve TV Wrestling until 2005, or so Ive heard at least, im not sure if this is against Turner or the TV Network so dont quote me. Also the failure of WCW may bring a stepping stone for Turners ego, as he does risk doing the same again.

However many people also remember the good old days of WCW before David Arquette and not including the bomber midget and the god awful beach movie thing.

A key point that is in Turners favour however is the list of big name free agents at the moment that could well put Turners new company on the map and get it some credibility. Guys like Goldberg, brock Lesnar, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan etc etc could all be lulled into working for Turner at some point.

There is also a vast aray of indy workers whom thanks to stuff like TWC have been growing in both poularity and in terms of household credibility. Guys like Chris Daniels, AJ Styles, Chris Sabin etc.

I personally think now is as good a time as any for Turner to start up again. WWE is slumping due to the fact Smackdowns average audience is about 10 people a week and RAW also seems to be lacking in areas. We could well see the start of another Monday Night War and if so Im looking forward to it.

But what do you all think on this subject of Turner and a new promotion?

I dunno about Turner, but I for one would welcome another big time wrestling company to rival wwe. Its been said before, but it needs to be said again: competition is good for everyone, especially for fans of wrestling. Hopefully it'll happen; but I'll believe it when I see it.

i hope it does happen and it would almost certainly work if it had goldberg, austin, hogan and most of the indy talent. i would like to see vince sell the wcw name because it would be hard for turner to find a decent one that hasnt been used. vince russo ruined wcw and as long as he isnt involved i could see it working.

This was brought up on Observer Live on Sunday night and the vast majority of people involved in wrestling, with Turner and with AOL/Time Warner are sure that Ted Turner IS NOT interested in wrestling anymore.

When Jerry Jarrett set up TNA last year the first people he contacted about funding the promotion was Turners people, they only had one meeting and the answer was an empathic no.

At the end of the day Turner doesn't need to promote wrestling, he's made his money, he never was a huge wrestling fan, he only originally bought out Jim Crocketts promotion to ensure that his networks biggest ratings winner in NWA "World Championship Wrestling" wasn't lost. Foley in his book talked about how out of touch and disinterested Turner was with his wrestling product, so he was disinterested when he had a wrestling promotion let alone caring enough to start another one up.

Also the no-compete clause in the WCW sale runs until April 2006 not 2005 as was previously thought, this means no instant national TV deal and no national advertising campaign, so any promotion he was to start up would be at the same level of TNA and encounter all of the same problems.

Ted Turner coming along and pumping millions into a wrestling promotion and creating a national wrestling show is what wrestling needs, but it wont happen.

Edited by Tajiri

i do wish it happens as it was the best time to be a wrestling fan during the monday nigt wars.

if ted turner was to start up another wrestling promotion any ideas on what the name of the promotion would be?

no one actually knows what will happen unless ure turner so when u say that tajiri its all bull have u ever thought that turner didnt want back in wrestling back then but might do now? have u also thought that he might buy a company for family like a son or something i dont know the facts but there is so many possibilities

From the stories I've heard about Turners real interest in the wrestling business I seriously doubt Turner will be looking to create his own wrestling company anytime soon.

The simple reason is, The Wrestling business is on a slide at the moment and isn't as popular as it was when Turner got into the business with WCW. Turner is only interested in making as much money as possible. Which is why he put Nitro on prime time during the latest boom in the wrestling business, Because he knew WCW was begining to turn a profit and it was the next best way to make mega money.

Although I do think if wrestling does become popular soon, I expect Turner will probably invest in someone like TNA, Because I highly doubt he'd be interested in running his own wrestling company. The guy doesn't have a clue about wrestling as it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Turner or not, I'd like to see someone with the financial means put together an organization with a few big name veterans and a bunch of great up-and-comers. I don't know if this could all be accomplished by an influx of financing for TNA. I think that starting clean would be the best thing to do.

As long as the vets didn't insist on holding the top spots and the writing was good, some competition might force Vince to work up a consistently better product than what he's now putting out.

He seems to think that calling SD and RAW different "Brands" makes them competition. Trouble is he shot SD in the foot, probably on purpose to make his flagship, RAW, look better by comparison.

Any wealthy philanthropists out there wanna go into business???

• 2 weeks later...
For wrestling fan's sake everywhere; Ted, Mr. Turner sir, please save wrestling. Wrestling never did anything bad to anyone it was just a little missunderstood. Sir, if you could find it in your heart please, I beg you please save us from this cancerous thing called Smackdown sucking the life out of our dear beloved wrestling. Don't let this become wrestlings eulogy.

I dont think alot of u realize that without 1 man WCW would have been nothing 1 man that put WCW over the edge & Made it wat it was that man is Eric Biscoff.

even b4 the circus that was the Monday Night War Bischoff was the man that made everything work rite without him weapons would still be known as "International bjects" 2 avoid bein Politicaly incorrect

Yes, competition is great. Did anyone notice that WWE really went stale after the purchase of WCW? There was no other alternative. It wasn't that WWE was slacking off storyline wise, it was the fact that there was no one competing with WWE...with no competition, there's no excitement....get what I am saying?

man did i really start this great thread? WOW. Nah like i say its jut rumours but they are dying down a bit now. But like i said before there was rumour of him sending out feelers to austin and goldberg.

Personally as much as I love TNA, i think it would be good for the industry to have a fed made by Turner back in the world, the competition would be good. Theres a mass of great free agensta dn indy workers available these days unlike back in the days of wcw and wwf when pretty much all good workers were either contracted by WCW, WWF or ECW. Nowadays you have companies liek TNA that while putting out a national TV show and ppv every week and having contracted superstars they still allow their workers to find other bookings which is a good way of promoting their own product. Think of how if Turner made this business then theres more exposure for some of the TNA guys to get on turners show and still be contracted to TNA. This would benfit everyone.

Look at some of the guys even Turner could get..Austin, Hogan, Goldberg, Michael Shane, AJ Styles, Chris Sabin etc the list is endless. Altho the other way it could happen is the guys get signed by Turner and then they cant work for TNA or anyone else. I think that would push the business back down in the quagmire it seems to be sinking into at the moment.

Man theres a lot of interest in this subject tho