The Streets

E2K

I will go on record right now as saying that I HATE THE STREETS. I could write a bad poem, put some music on in the background, record it, and I'll have done what he's done. There's nothing bloody musical about him; in fact, when I hear his bloody "lyrics" about kebab shops and clubs and all the rest, I'm more inclined to laugh than anything.

But wait; haven't I heard people saying that he's the english eminem (like hell he is!); hasn't he won awards? Last week two aquaintances of mine actually SCREAMED in delight when they heards he was playing a gig in Dublin (I screamed too, but for a different reason). I honestly don't get it.

Look, I didn't mean this to be a Streets-bashing thread. All I want is, if there's any Mike Skinner fans out there, please try to explain to me why you like him? I need to understand this fascination. Why on earth are there people out there who would mention him in the same breath as eminem?!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am with you guys iam perhaps the biggest rap fan youll ever meet but i HATE english rap whethe its dizzy rascal (sh!t name) or the streets it makes me sick. i was watching channel u (467 on sky) and heard this little piece of crap Ashman who is about 12 saying he will be dead soon:roll. i was watching a programme on C4 last night about 12'o'clock and the chorus of a rap was:

i aint a white sheep

i aint a black sheep

infact i aint a sheep at all :?

it is total crap

I will go on record right now as saying that I HATE THE STREETS. I could write a bad poem, put some music on in the background, record it, and I'll have done what he's done. There's nothing bloody musical about him; in fact, when I hear his bloody "lyrics" about kebab shops and clubs and all the rest, I'm more inclined to laugh than anything.

:worship :worship

I agree with you all the way. This man has less talent than a bit of chewing gum stuck to my shoe. The "rap" is the worst i have ever heard (save for jackbibbys raps :lol ) and the music is even worse. I have no idea why he has won awards, maybe the judges are tone deaf? who knows, all i know is that i cant stand the Streets.

The Streets... If I ever bump into him I would stick a red hot poker in one of his ears and a pineapple in the other, thats how I feel when I listen to his 'music', like I want to commit manslaughter on Mr Skinner!

A bloke went up to the jukebox in our local pool hall and a mate of mine heard what he put on, 'Fit and You Know It' so he went up to the box and put in the extra 50p to jump the list and put on Rammstein 'Tier' on tapped him on the shoulder and said, this is German and I enjoy it even more then that scally shit, don't put him on again. So its not just me who wants to kill anybody who places the Streets on their stero?

A bloke went up to the jukebox in our local pool hall and a mate of mine heard what he put on' date=' 'Fit and You Know It' so he went up to the box and put in the extra 50p to jump the list and put on Rammstein 'Tier' on tapped him on the shoulder and said, this is German and I enjoy it even more then that scally shit, don't put him on again[/quote']

Be careful! Skinner might be on this forum as we speak, and he'll steal that story for his next "song"!

Edited by E2K

has anyone ever listened to any channel u that isnt american? i challenge u to do it and ull be so pissed that theyre rich and some of the stuff they say. it is truely the worst kind of music i would rather listen to my dads waterboys song!! :help

I like some rap and that brings down the standard, I wouldn't even call it rap I'd call Scally ranting, and if anyone is a scally/townie I shirk from no one, I am Mosh and proud which is probably why I hate the Streets so much and I wouldn't care if he supported Man U or gave me money, I'd still hate his music. As a person, hell I don't know him but I still jam that stuff in his ears because of his music, you hear that Skinner, come come out wherever you are....

I really like The Streets and can't wait for his new album 'A grand don't come for free' (or something to that effect) which is out on Monday I believe.

The main reason I like him is because he is doing something different. Whether you like him or you hate him you have to admit that his sound is pretty unique, for now anyway, (someone is bound to start ripping him off sooner or later) and I find the whole idea refreshing.

He is also pretty witty, he actually has stuff to say that doesnt involve how much 'ice' he has or what car he drives like in the stale american rap, and he doesnt take himself too seriously (another trait that most other rappers could do well to take on board). An example of all three would be in a song called 'The irony of it all'. Its a clever little song about the legalisation of pot and although I don't agree with it he does raise some valid points. I don't think 'superstar' rappers such as 50 cent and JZ would be able to write with anywhere near the same level of wit as Skinner. Infact, I don't think either of them could define irony, let alone use it in a song.

Obviously I'm in the minority here but I really think that in a world full of american hip hop and american 'emo' (I know, I don't know what it is either) that there is room for originality and Mike Skinner is a fine example of it.

Emo, u mean Emotive Hardcore by people like Thursday and that? I dislike that too, not because its different its just because if its done properly (Finch, Billy Talent and Glassjaw) its good but if you then you get some sappy deary cliched bastards with a jumper and a bad childhood and good damn get the tissues! But like I said the Streets ain't rap, its like it but it ain't and I still don't like it different or not, I mean do I listen to Washboard Solos vol.5 cos thats different? Er no, it has to be god as well as different.

To Mr. Mistoffles:

I honestly don't know if what you say is true, since I won't ever have the wish to ever listen to his material in that kind of depth. I would suggest that if Skinner wants to deal with issues such as irony, he should write a novel or some poetry, not put a backing track on it and try to pass it off as music. Or if he wants to do something out of the ordinary, he should make some GOOD music - there's little enough of that around. Thanks anyway for trying to explain it

The main reason I like him is because he is doing something different. Whether you like him or you hate him you have to admit that his sound is pretty unique.

Not really unique. I hear people talking every day, I don't need to hear it when I want to listen to music as well.

Honest to god, I despise the fit song. It's just so.... dull.

Not really unique. I hear people talking every day, I don't need to hear it when I want to listen to music as well.

Honest to god, I despise the fit song. It's just so.... dull.

You hear people talking in rhyme every day? You hear people talking in rhyme to a catchy backbeat every day? You hear people talking in rhyme to catchy backbeat with an anthemic chorus thrown in at allotted times every day? Seriously, who do you have conversations with? I'd like to meet these people.

And as for the 'If he wants to use irony then he should write a poem or a novel' comment. I disagree. I think there is room for wit, irony and social commentary in the music industry. Ever heard of The Kinks?

Edited by Mr. Mistoffeles

Absolutely, but I don't find what HE does in the least bit musical. Maybe he IS really sharp as far as social commentary goes; but as a musician, he's crap. Just my opinion though :o)

Yeah he does make some witty lines but its how they are delivered that bugs me and the music that is used, maybe he knew otherwise no one would listen to his views but based on the fame he got off his first album surely he can take his ideas to another medium? And as for political bands there is The Clash, Dead Kennedys, Amen, System Of A Down amongst others, if its done properly then it has a place, but only done right.

Yeah.. it isnt music.. hes chatting absolute rubbish. Its annoying if anything. That new song is the worst ive heard by him.

Emo.. whats the actual definition for that? Emotional Music i thought it was? But i can never understand where to catergorise bands. But stuff like, Thursday, Thrice, Yellowcard, Finch, Billy Talent, Hell is for heroes are brilliant. All these bands are catergorised as Emo.. so you can see that the Emo scene is on the rise rapidly at the moment.