Backyarding...

Evil Gringo

Right I know quite a few of you are gonna look down on me but I am a backyarder or was until I blew out my knees. So are there any others out there who wish to share their storys or anyone who just wants to give their opinions on the subject....

My view is that backyarding can be fun if you don't take advantage of the other person and go out to hurt them. I learnt how to bump of some friends who run a indy tribute group who taught kids cause they knew it was going on and they wanted to cut the risk down. Anybody that uses barbed wire is crazy and should look at the state Foley and Funk are in now before they say its a good idea...

I'm not going to look down on you and not going to comment on the reasons for your own situation.

But the simple fact is that the human body is not designed for hard impacts, well, it can withstand a certain amount, but continuous high impacts is going to tell on the body after a while.

Most professionally trained wrestlers could bump on concrete and get away relatively unscathed, but they wouldn't want to, and compacted grass and dirt can be just as hard, especially after baking in the sun.

The other thing is what do you do when things go wrong? Is there anyone professionally trained to deal with an injury? There might be I will admit, but again, in a professional venue you have to admit, the response to an injury can be instantaneous, where as with backyard wrestling, and with that program about it, people can be injured more before they realise anything has happened.

I've seen a few kids in my area who wrestled backyard, one of them has a permanent limp... at 14!

Again, I'm not gonna get on your case, but shot knees has probably prevented you from having a good career in wrestling, and that is a real shame.

Saracen

Edited by Saz

I have to say we were a bit smarter then most people, concrete wasn't a clever surface and grass was a last resort... We made a ring in our friends front room from two single and one double mattrasse (bad spelling I know) and did for a laugh at first, then we went to an event and one of my mates has a big gob and afterwards told the one of the blokes who ran the indy I mentioned and it turns out he lived quite near. So we showed him a tape and he siad even though we were using a soft surface we needed to learn how to bump so in exchange we did ring boy duties and when we got better he let us open and fight in battle royals...

As for the injuries well yeah I do get the point, I popped out my shoulder when a piledriver went wrong and my supporting arm slipped, my mate put it back in and it swelled so the next day I had to go get put in a sling and the knee, I did that in the ring, moonsault, oppenont moved I go to land on feet and then pop, goodbye ligaments.

Yeah, Knee ligaments popping are a B*tch!

My dad used to play football for a small league club and was going onto professional status when a tackle took out one of his knee ligaments, in those days all they did was sew them back together so it effectively ruined any chances of him doing anything at a professional level.

Guess that's probably what the wrestlers in World of Sport had to face too, if their ligaments went, it was the end of their career, but even in those days, pads would protect knees from damage, but probably not as well as modern day ones.

Saracen

If a backyarder rang up a hire firm to hire a ring, they would sting em for all they're worth.

Most Ring hire people have a past within the wrestling industry over here and if you had an expensive pice of kit, would you want untrained people running around with dirty trainers all over your ring?

Plus they have the right of refusal and for a backyard "event" I'm sure they would not even bother turning up. Backyard has such a bad name within the British scene, I doubt anyone reputable would associate themselves with it.

Most rings for backyarding are self made jobbies.

Not having a go at you bibby, just putting across the potential opinion of a person who hires rings.

Saracen

The fact is Saracen is right, we started to do wrestling, we knew we couldn't get a ring and building one was out of the option, it'd be more dangerous that way cause when we started we were all 15 or 16 and put it this way, none of use did woodwork.

But when we started opening we stopped backyarding because we didn't want to get a injury which would prevent us from going further plus we were getting the odd £20 for doing it, not bad for a 16 year old at the weekend.

Did anyone see that programme on channel 4 before about "backyard wrestling"?

I remember that there was this kid and he was about 14 and said that people call him a wrestling legend?LOL I laughed so hard. Wrestling Legend,"LEGEND" Ric Flair and Bret Hart are legends,not some spotty school kid jumping out of trees trough barbwire tables.

thank you

Edited by Danny Devine

I agree, I wouldn't say I was a legend until I had headlined like two Wrestlemania's or more, had several good and deserved title runs and beat the best of the best in a major promotion, any stupid 14 year old or any other backyarder who claims to be a wrestling legend should be kicked in the testicles 100 times. I did it to try and take a step toward the real thing, I got a leg on the ladder and then the leg went bust.