The WWF is falling.

Dead Crow

Every week/night, I start a thread which gets everyone thinking. Everyone comments on it and people start to think long and hard about what I said. This time, I want to comment on the WWF, and the fact that the WWF is falling.

Lets rewind back to the late 80s/early 90s. Pro Wrestling was booming. Hogan was reigning as champion in the peoples hearts, Woryah was as popular as ever, Flair was showing people why he was "The Nature Boy" and youngsters like Owen, Bulldog, The Rockers and others were preparing for the superstardum that awaited them. WWF looked big, and it was. It was trying to become an international company. It had no time to relax.

Lets fast-forward to 1993. WWF's star started to fall. WCW wasnt as big as it could of been, WWF was under no real pressure and the programming suffered. WWF went downhill until about 1996. Mabel as the king of the ring? Yokozuna as champion? Not a good time. Sure, HBK, Razor, Bret and Owen worked long and hard through these times but the WWF was still falling. In 1996, after losing Hogan in 1993 and then Nash and Hall, the NWO was formed in 1996. WCW started winning the ratings war. WWF was losing badly. The NWO was fresh and original and the WWF had to pull their fingers out of their asses and whoop the WCW.

In 1997, DX was formed. Some fans found them offensive and crude but the WWF was desperate. They had competition and they were losing, so they needed to be fresh and hip and needed new storylines and new stars. They put it all on the line....and it worked.

By 1998, WWF had never looked better. It was cool, refreshing and original. Ratings soared and WWF profits soared with them. The NWO had made the WWF become bigger than ever because once the NWO took wrestling by storm, Vince knew he had to respond, and he did it in style.

Come 2000, WWF had no competition. ECW was dying and WCW was being killed by Russo. WWF's programming began to leak, losing its edginess and coolness.

In 2002, having killed the competition, WWF ratings have dropped from 1998s 7.0s to 4.6s. WWF knows that it has it has no competition, so it has much reason to relax, making the product suffer. Only now has Vince realised that the WWF is stale and needs a new direction. Thats why Im happy for the NWO because its a new start. But WWF is putting everything on the shoulders with NWO. If NWO fails, thats it. WWF will probably die...for real. WWF might slack off with this angle due to competition or lack thereof. WWF has reason to be lazy and slack off. They have bundles of money and are still the biggest wrestling company in the world. So what does WWF need? Competition. WWA, XWF, or something new. Something that can make WWF stand up and show why they are the dominant brand in Pro Wrestling. It worked back in 1998, so why not now? Also, WWF needs to make a few changes.

1) Get the McMahons off TV

2) Get cruiserweights on TV

3) Limit the amount of title changes (which seems to be happening)

WWF needs to change and needs competition, because if it gets too comfortable, it will die, and for pro wrestlings sake, that cannot happen, yet i fear it may.

What do you think?

Edited by DraVen

If the nWo fails which i don't think it will. The wwf will not die.

Thats just like saying that manchester united would crumble after arsenal did the double in 98, look what happened.

Lets not forget that after wrestlemania we are expecting a split this will lead to internal compertion storylines won't be able to drag on as long. Hopefully less mcmahons on tv, and they only really need rey to have a better cruiserweight division than the old wcw (if pushed).

Guest Perfection

In my opinion EVERY McMahon needs to stay off WWF Television period. I don't know about everyone else, but I am really getting sick of Vince 30 Minute promos at the start of every show. All he gets is a bunch of 'WHATS' anyway. This time could be used to push new talent, or maybe just use some of the talent they already have, id' say around 30% of the WWF Roster is being used to it's full potential. There are tons of guys that could be filling up this extra promo time. Instead they are wasted, or just placed on Metal.

I also hope the Cruiser/Lightweight division is Revamped, this was greatly appriciated (sp?) in both WCW and ECW, i don't see why it wouldn't be in the WWF. They already have a strong Cruiser/Lightweight division that is not being used, if they DO bring in any new guys, they should use them all properly. Even if they only have a few Cruiserweight matches a week, thats ok. Right now, we get nothing. I miss being able to watch Nitro just for their excellent Cruiserweight and Cruiserweight Tag Team dicision.

I think the nWo more than likely will be a bad thing, not because of ratings or anything like that, it will probably be bad for Wrestlers currently being pushed, eg, RVD and Jericho, they will be made to job to HHH, Nash, etc etc, i hope this doesn't happen. Other than that i think it will be a success, i didn't see it the first time around, so i'm quite looking forward to it.

The Worthlessness of titles. Colin did a column on it not so long ago, and was spot on wiht most points, even when the 'Undefeatable' 'technically sound' 'master of the game' Triple H, was WWF Champion, it was better than this.

Phew :)

Not only do WWF need a new Junior/Light Heavyweight/Cruiser division they need longer TV matches, i'm not talking ECW 25 minutes here but around 8 to 10 minutes for mid card stuff with 15 - 20 for main events with cleaner finishes, as long as it's kept interesting the casual fans will not complain after all when was the last "boring" chant at a PPV.

Perfection if that happens, theres nothing to smile about.. :(

I totally agree with gettin the McMahons off TV. Enough of them already. And does the WWF really need a Cruiserweight and a Light-Heavyweight title?

HHH v Austin so cut and dry though? Wasnt HHH winning the rumble cut and dry too eh? Its gonna be HHH v Austin, i hope im wrong but i cant see the WWF denying the match that the fans voted for (the HHH fans who deleted their cookies over and over) as the best of last year, as the Main event of WMania this year. Gimme another tournament for the title eh.

Its a damn shame :(

This is my biggest fear, lost two great companies in ECW and WCW. What if WWF goes, and don't keep saying it'll never happen. Who ever thought there wouldn't be a WCW? Don't have to go back too far til they were winning the ratings war and putting WWF out of business.

They need a great cruiserweight division, and just bringing in Rey isn't the answer. It's not just the guys at that weight. It's the pushes that WCW gave them and the importance they gave the belt. Malenko Vs Rey, Jericho Vs Malenko, Juvi Vs Kidman, Syxx Vs Guerrero, these produced great matches which most importantly the crowd cared about.

Get Steph and Vince off TV, he's achieved a huge ammount, but this isn't a vehicle to promote his family, it's a vehicle to promote the talent.

Y2J's push has been refreshing, and him keeping the belt for so long has given it much more credibility. Stop having RVD opening match on RAW/Smackdown. Find a way to create room at the top. If that means releasing Taker and letting Rock go to a film career. Maybe have Rock as commish or something (couldn't lose those much talked about merchandise figures).

It just seems to me that everything that was wrong with WCW, all the problems they had and mistakes they made are being repeated by the WWF. Learn from their mistakes, don't copy them.

firstly I guaran(damn)tee you it will be Jericho v.s HHH at Mania apparently it will be Hall v austin (ladder match maybe with a six pack hanging over the ring) and possibly flex v hogan.

Im really looking forward to the split. especially this draft idea. It could be used to brush under the carpet current storylines that aren't working but are still on the fans minds, a fresh start. i also like the idea of title tournaments they could really give the belts meaning if u have hard fought battles between austin angle hhh etc. The split could also mean the formation of new tag teams.

The WWF does need competition. The XWF just aren't up to it at the moment, however the WWA could be the answer if they get a TV deal. With Bret Hart as commisioner, ratings should be good aslong as the quality of the product is decent. Another possibility is for the XWF and WWA to merge in order to become a bigger threat to the WWF which would wake the WWF up and get ratings back up.

Draven, I am not accusing you, but you did write the first thread of this post yourself didn't you? As in, you didn't copy it from anywhere?

By no means am I accusing you, but I am sure I have read it somewhere before that's all.

I have not copied anything, just purely written what came to my mind at that time. I could guess that this subject has been touched on before but i have seen no previous threads about this, which is why i started one in the 1st place. I usually only start a thread that hasnt been touched on before, but i have not, nor do i intend to look at previous threads that are pages back.

Oh, okay..sorry.

Still though, it does ring a bell...seems to be the same as a WWF opinion on dooyoo.co.uk. I am not sure, and I am not accusing you...but either it is really weird deja vu, or I am just going crazy!