Why Do That?

Matt

This week on Raw i saw Randy Orton spit in the face of Harley Race (hey that rhymes) and couldnt help but think what a stupid idea it was. I know where Harley was coming from with this as from what ive read of him in Foleys book Harley always went out of his way to help talent and seen as its Cowboy Bob's son i expect he thought he'll have been doing a favour for a friend. But to me now your gonna get a whole generation of wrestling fans (namely ones who have just jumped on the wrestling wagon) who are only gonna remember Harley Race as 'the guy who Orton spat on' and not one of the toughest of all time.

Anyone else think this was completely pointless.

First of all, its not really a spoiler now as both Raw showings have past. And second, yes i think it was a bit pointless. When he spat in Foleys face, it helped the storyline and increased the heat bewteen the two, however i dont see how this has helped either person.

I mentioned on the Raw thread this week that Orton spitting in Harley's face was inappropriate and I stick by that dictum. I would have thought a better option would be to look like he was going to spit on him and then not do it, but cuss him out mentioning:

"the only reason I'm not spitting on you OLD MAN is because you've done so much for the business, but rest assured, I'll kick your ass if you show your face on MY SHOW again".

He would still have looked like a complete twat and got crowd heat but wouldn't have had to spit.

Cheers!

This week on Raw i saw Randy Orton spit in the face of Harley Race (hey that rhymes) and couldnt help but think what a stupid idea it was. I know where Harley was coming from with this as from what ive read of him in Foleys book Harley always went out of his way to help talent and seen as its Cowboy Bob's son i expect he thought he'll have been doing a favour for a friend. But to me now your gonna get a whole generation of wrestling fans (namely ones who have just jumped on the wrestling wagon) who are only gonna remember Harley Race as 'the guy who Orton spat on' and not one of the toughest of all time.

Anyone else think this was completely pointless.

I think it was done because it was in Harleys hometown, it would generate HUGE heat for Orton and Harley got involved with the show. Yeah, he got spat on, but I'm sure if he saw it as being pointless, he wouldnt have agreed to do it.

Lastly, the part where you say "Harley will be remembered as the guy that got spat on and not the toughest!" Well, maybe your right, because the majority of fans these days think wrestling began with the 1998 Attitude Era :roll

• 4 weeks later...
I mentioned on the Raw thread this week that Orton spitting in Harley's face was inappropriate and I stick by that dictum. I would have thought a better option would be to look like he was going to spit on him and then not do it, but cuss him out mentioning:

"the only reason I'm not spitting on you OLD MAN is because you've done so much for the business, but rest assured, I'll kick your ass if you show your face on MY SHOW again".

He would still have looked like a complete twat and got crowd heat but wouldn't have had to spit.

Well said.

The object is to make Randy Orton the man you love to hate. One way of doing that is to spit in the face and disrespect a pioneer in the industry, a true legend in Harley Race. Randy is doing his job well. He's one of the most hated men in wrestling. It's not working with me though. I love the guy. He's great and he's gonna go far. He'll beat Honky Tonk Mans record as the longest reining Intercontinental Champion in WWF/E history. Just watch.

That is all.

SF

I'm still waiting for a conclusion to that situation' date=' but I doubt it will ever happen. I thought for sure Race would appear for a one time shot to get back at Orton. I agree with everyone that the spitting was unnecessary.[/quote']

That will never happen. For those who watched Wrestlemania 20 it was clear to see that Harley could barely walk. Dont think he'll be doing a run in.

Who knows...maybe Hulk Hogan'll 'wheel' him in on a wheelchair, and layeth the smackdown. :P

Although, there are far too many errors there to be worth regarding as a good idea...^^;

Although...

Randy Orton, Hulk Hogan - that's an idea for a Legend/Legend Killer angle.

COMPLETELY never gonna happen though, heh heh...:P