23 members have voted

1. 1. TWO MAnager of the Year 2004

• Arsene Wenger
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Didier Deschamps
    • Frank Rijkaard
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Martin O'Neill

Here are the nominations for TWO Manager of the Year 2004.

Arsene Wenger (Arsenal/France)

Claudio Ranieri (Chelsea/Italy)

Didier Deschamps (Monaco/France)

Frank Rijkaard (Barcelona/Holland)

Jose Mourinho (Porto/Portugal)

Martin O'Neill (Celtic/Northern Ireland)

Deschamps has done a fantastic job at Monaco and i think he will culminate the season with victory in the champions league. It was a close call between him and Wenger, but i think Didier is the one who has impressed me more.

Didier Deschamps for me, finacially Monaco are in a worse state than Leeds or Parma yet with a great youth policy (Rothen, Evra), great loan signings (Morientes) and getting the best of out the players (Giuly, Nonda) he's taken a mid table French side to the top of Le Championet and the Champions League semi-final.

Didier Deschamps definatly, the guy has won everything as a player and now looks like he could do it as a manager. If Monaco's finances are very ppor then no doubt he could be lured else where, I think he would make a good replacement for Ranieri (assuming he's sacked) or Houllier.

Mourinho has really impressed me this season. He has made a name for himself and established Porto as one of Europe's elite teams. Entertaining guy with an even more entertaining team.

Erm, doesn't it take more than a lucky draw against United and beating a pretty average Lyon side to "establish them as one of Europe's elite teams"?

If they hadn't got the lucky goal at OT, no-one would have thought anything about them going out, and Mourinho would have been a nobody.

Deschamps on the other hand managed a team who scored 2 in the Bernabeu, and then knocked out Real Madrid, beating them 3-1.

Personally I'd have had David O'Leary on there ahead of Mourinho or Ranieri (I could get a team to a semi final with £140m to spend! :lol) - he's taken Villa from the bottom 5 or 6 in the league to 4th spot ahead of Newcastle and Liverpool (until Liverpool won later). That's some acheivement.

Ed

Erm, doesn't it take more than a lucky draw against United and beating a pretty average Lyon side to "establish them as one of Europe's elite teams"?

If they hadn't got the lucky goal at OT

They are in the Semi Finals of the Champions League, and half way to the Final. I think that must mean they are a great European side.

If.. If...

Porto are there on merit, they won their ties, simple as that.

Ranieiri's the man for me. Hes taken, or probably will take Chelsea to second in the league, they are still in the champions league at the semi final, and all this with all the crap he has had to go through, plus having to gel a team together in the time he has done is magnificant. Brilliant job.

I voted Wenger because I'm a big fat GOONER. If/when AFC go undefeated this season it will be a truly phenomenal achievement. No professional team in England has ever done it. Plus he made Arsenal Champions with 4 games to go, a game in hand, undefeated and a small squad.

Only an unfortunate series of 4 matches in 13 days vs Chelsea, Man U, Man U and Chelsea resulted in the end of the treble hopes.

Every year a team wins the Champions League, how often in Italy/Spain/Germany/England do teams go undefeated?

Mourinho and Deschamps were a close joint second though. Mourinho probably edges it because of his antics vs Man U at old Trafford.

Cheers!

If they hadn't got the lucky goal at OT' date=' no-one would have thought anything about them going out, and Mourinho would have been a nobody.[/quote']

Sorry Ed, I don't normally disagree with you but that statement sums up a lot of what I've heard about Porto this year. I'll agree that they had a bit of luck against Manchester United but I would hardly have said that Mourinho would have been a nobody.

This is what I heard from lots of people in England, who dismissed Porto before the match against Manchester United as a team who would easily be brushed aside without difficulty. It was as if the fact that they beat Lazio 4-1 on the way to winning the UEFA Cup (swines!) meant nothing. I think what you say would have held true in England had Manchester United won, as it's only been since then that a lot of people here have credited Porto as being any kind of a decent side at all, so I see what you're saying, but across Europe he would still be considered a top manager, which he is, even though I don't like the less savoury tactics employed by his team and hope Monaco (who have been fantastic to watch and thoroughly entertaining) win the Champions League final instead of them.