Should Wayne Rooney be on the plane?

BRM

Ok to start off with bar injury Wayne Rooney WILL be on the plane to portugal, and yes he is a fantastic talent but really whats he done?

Scored a hatfull of goals in 2 seasons including a wonder goal against Arsenal last season, he's also shown that he has a short fuse and should of been sent off this afternoon against Wolves. Young Rooney should be using his talents to help the u19's or the u21's national teams. Smith, Defoe even James Beattie and Kevin Phillips alongside Owen could all do a better job than rooney in my opnion.

Disscus.

To be fair none of Englands top strikers have played paticularly well this season, So to me Rooney has as much right to be on that plane as anybody.

Owen has been abysmal this season, Alan Smith hasn't done a lot either although I do think he'd be more effective in a better team, Jermaine Defoe still has a lot to prove in my opinion he's not proven yet at International level, James Beattie hasn't had a great season either at Southampton and Phillips hasn't really set the world on fire with his form. Emile Heskey, Has been poor yet again for Liverpool, Chris Sutton should get a shot but he seems to be ignored because he plays in Scotland. The only English striker who has been consistant this season is Alan Shearer and we all know he's retired from international football.

Rooney is a big game player in my opinion he seems to perform well in the big games which is why I'd rather he did go to Portugal, Despite his form this season. Because if you go by form none of our top strikers should be going, It's dissapointing really because we have some really good goalscorers when they're on form.

If he keeps his temper under control then yes he has to be going. This tournament can go one of two ways for Rooney, either he'll be a sensation like Gascoigne in 1990, or he'll let his temperament get the better of him and come home a discrace a la Beckham 1998. But I think he's too big a talent to be left at home.

I really don't think it matters who england take but if i was manager i would take owen,phillips,smith and defoe.Rooney is seriously overrated and doesnt have the bottle for a big tournament like this in my opinion,he wouldnt have a hope of scoring against a team like france.England will be knocked out by Spain in the second round anyway.

One word answer- YES.

Aside from the fact that he is the best striker we have available other than Owen, he is a phenomenon that the world has yet to stumble across. It seems to me that he is gonna scare the sh!t out of everyone with his ox-like power and skill, and go down as the star of the tournament.

He hasn't played that well for Everton this year, but he has yet to have a bad game for England, mainly due to the superior service he receives.

I would love to see Defoe on the plane, but ahead of Heskey or Vassell, not Rooney- he in my view, is potentially just as valuable to us as Owen or Campbell.

I really don't think it matters who england take but if i was manager i would take owen' date='phillips,smith and defoe.Rooney is seriously overrated and doesnt have the bottle for a big tournament like this in my opinion,he wouldnt have a hope of scoring against a team like france.England will be knocked out by Spain in the second round anyway.[/quote']

Just to let you know that I will show this to you at the end of the tournament, and demand you eat some humble pie.

of course he should. if heskey is gonna be going then rooney desreves it a lot more. the only reason that rooney not start evry game is if shearer was to reurn i think england need a experianced stirker

Lets see, top 3 goal scoring English Strikers are Owen, Beattie and Phillips, so logically who should go?? Ah of course, Owen, Heskey and Rooney!! Logic looks the other way again!!

Anyway I feel Rooney should be taken, but as an extra man, I feel he makes a big difference to a game when he is bought on in the last 20 minutes or so, BUT, on the other hand who wants to see Rooney take his shirt off after scoring in the Portugal sun??