The 'oh yeah, they're actually quite good aren't they?' thread

MillionLiraMan

Hey there,

Ths might again be a crap thread but I thought to do it after seeing the video on telly for Whitesnake's 'Here I Go Again 87', which reminded me of how good some of their stuff is.

We all have our favourite bands and solo artists to whom we listen on a regular basis or consider above most other bands. However, there are also bands about whom we forget for long periods before dusting off their albums again and, to our surprise, remembering how good they actually are. My question is, who are your favourite 'middle ground' bands, who you like but don't listen to as a favourite band regularly?

I probably explained that really poorly but for example, I like ZZ Top, but not enough to call them one of my absolute favourite bands. However, when I put on 'Eliminator' or hear 'La Grange' on the radio I think 'oh yeah, ZZ Top, must make more of an effort to listen to them' and then instead go off and listen to Motörhead or Thin Lizzy.

Who does the middle of the road thing for you? Mention your favourite songs by the bands if you like. I'll go first with a top five format thing again, with my favourite songs by the bands also being given.

1) Deep Purple

Highway Star, Bloodsucker, Hallelujah (I Am The Preacher), Child In Time.

2) Ozzy Osbourne

Mr Crowley, Bark At The Moon, Crazy Train, Dee.

3) The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Killing Floor, Crosstown Traffic, Purple Haze, All Along The Watchtower.

4) Meat Loaf

Paradise By The Dashboard Light, You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night), Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad, Bat Out Of Hell.

5) Whitesnake

Still Of The Night, Here I Go Again 87, Is This Love?, Give Me All Your Love Tonight.

Also, if you like, is there anything that makes you notice your choices after a while? For me its remembering something different and special about them. For instance, the classically based section following the second verse of Highway Star, the great outro solo in Bark At The Moon, Hendrix's fantastic trill and tremolo dive at the end of Killing Floor, the lyrics to Paradise By The Dashboard Light, or Tawny Kitaen's, er, performances... in the Whitesnake videos (David Coverdale, what a jammy swine)!

I admit some of those choices might be a bit cheesy but that's just the way it is. What does it for you?

Edited by MillionLiraMan

KISS - They piss me off because they're still going and it's just so boring now, but songs like "I Love It Loud", "Crazy Nights", and "Rock N Roll All Night" are quite good!

That's all I can think of right now. I either love it or I don't. Here I Go Again is a kickass song I loved that when I was a kid and I've got it on tape upstairs! :D

Squeeze : Hourglass, Cool For Cats, Tempted, Up The Junction, Mussels From A Shell

Sheryl Crow : If It Makes You Happy, Every Day..., All I Wanna Do, Run Baby Run

The Ramones : Sheena Is A Punk Rocker, Rockaway Beach, Blitzkrieg Bop, I Wanna Be Sedated

Nazareth : This Flight Tonight, Bad Bad Boy, Love Hurts

Soundgarden : Spoonman, Black Hole Sun, Jesus Christ Pose

I was DJing some stuff yesterday that I hadn't listened to for a good long time, and was surprised at how good it still sounded:

Fear Factory : Edgecrusher

Ugly Kid Joe : Everything About You

I guess it's cos I tend to listen to the more extreme metal, that I just let my old favourites fall to one side. heh heh - not going to happen again, really it's not.

The Ramones is a good shout, although you didn't include the best song title ever - 'Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue'!

Fear Factory as well, I always forget about them for ages and then quite enjoy listening to them when I go back to their stuff. I can only really take them in short periods though, since after a while the Burton C. Bell's digitised voice can get a bit tiresome. I like 'Linchpin' (even though the Digimortal album gets a lot of stick) and Zero Signal the best out of what I can remember.

It's not bad, when they got back without Dino Cazares I thought they might be a bit below par, and they still might, but that new song isn't bad. Not as digital as a lot of their previous stuff and quite heavy. Could use a proper solo, but it's alright. Don't know if I'll buy the album though, might hang on and see how some of the other stuff from it sounds.

I'm not saying Digimortal was a great album by their standards, but I quite liked Linchpin in its own right. I didn't think the album as a whole was terrible, but I was left with kind of a 'meh' feeling about it. I saw the Cyber Waste video when it first came out but I didn't pay attention so I'll have to have another check next time it's on Scuzz or something to see if it's Adam from Machine Head on bass.

Saw that Demolition thing on Scuzz with Machine Head in it recently, might have to give them more time on the CD player now. It was a shame when they tailed off into dabbling with nu-metal styles for The Burning Red and Supercharger (even though 'The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears' and 'Bulldozer' stood up to their earlier stuff), but it looks like they're back on form now and at Donington in June, so I might just maybe have to see them, perhaps!

Edited by MillionLiraMan

I know what you mean - that's why I'm oohing and aahing over whether to go, weighing up whether Machine Head, Slayer, Metallica and Slipknot are enough to make me spend the best part of two hundred quid on a trip to Donington. Might happen, might not, we'll see. If I go I'll salute your memory by getting soaked up to the ankles in piss and coming home with skin crustier than a Gregg's pasty. :xyx

Yeah I do Pete. I don't know about wearing a Pantera T-shirt though, or any T-shirt you intend to wear again after the festival, won't it get torn to bits in the pit, especially if the weather is wet and muddy? For me it's going to be plain black gear if I go, unless a fancy dress place nearby lets you hire outfits first and pay upon their return, if that happens I'll either go as Hitler or a Beethoven rip-off Yngwie Malmsteen style!

You might spot me if that happened.

Dude I would be in awe if you dressed up as Hitler! Not for stupidass Nazi reasons but out of respect for daring to do that shit! My shirts don't ever get ripped or anything but they always end up smelling like booze, pot, smoke, sweat and mud which somehow is a really cool smell, just reminds you of having a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

Man the second day bill at Download kicks so much ass, Korn, Slayer, Slipknot, Machine Head and Metallica all together, I'm gonna need my ribs putting back together after that pit....

If only Good Charlotte were there so I could throw bottles at them, punk my arse, its like the Dead Kennedys never happened!

No... A scallie is not just music, its a way of life... they don't pay for their own cigs if they can help it, they hang on street corners drinking ciders and heckling people, they think tucking their tracksuit bottoms into their socks and then wearing Rockports is cool! They think because I don't like all the same music as them I am wrong and should pay, I mean if they didn't want to try and get me I wouldn't care like if your a geek and you don't bother me then fine, we are what we are just I hate it when they won't let me be me.

Yeah, if I want long hair then why not, I mean my mate has long dreads and we where in a pub and he put on a Queens Of The Stone Age the pubs jukebox and this wanker took exception and started... I got a glass broke over my arm in that fight, a nice scar to remember scally arses... I was alright though, I had a pool cue in my other arm....