WCW2

Stoned Cold

Anyone else heard that Ted Turner is planning to start a wrestling promotion again. Apparently the legal stuff preventing him from doing so ends March 05. Also he has been talking to various wrestlers including Goldberk and Austin to see if they will be interested in joining. Also anyone else see the TNA PPV on TWC last nite?

C+P'd from a post on UKFF. Originally from PWInsider

TED TURNER CONSIDERING A RETURN TO WRESTLING TO COMPETE WITH WWE, SAID TO HAVE HIS EYE ON AUSTIN AND GOLDBERG

by Dave Scherer @ 11:12:00 AM on 4/22/2004

The following story was broken on my Tuesday hotline in the Elite section of the site. In addition to supporting the site in the best possible way, through the uncertain times of online advertising, Elite members have access to many features, such as Elite Hotlines with exclusive news from the PWInsider.com staff, weekly radio shows from the staff, our comprehensive 30 page newsletter, weekly MLW TV, access to outstanding message board, completely ad-free access to the site and more, that are not available to non-Elite users. If you would like to try the elite section absolutely free for three days, in addition to supporting the site in the best way possible, click here. Here is the bullet point report from my hotline.

- I have heard from a few well places sources that Ted Turner is seriously considering a return to the business that helped put his SuperStation WTBS on the map 25 years ago, professional wrestling.

- As the story goes, when AOL merged with Time Warner, Turner signed documents as he was losing more of his power within the company. One of them was that he would not compete with AOL Time Warner in the wrestling business. Our sources tells us this agreement ends in March of 2005.

- In March of 2001, Brad Siegel and Jamie Kellner effectively killed WCW by canceling its programming off of TBS and TNT. The company was sold to WWE, which then gutted it. A source close to the situation told me that there is a five year no-compete for wrestling programming between AOL Time Warner and WWE, which would expire in March of 2006

- In order for a promotion to work, they would need TV. TNT has changed its image to the drama network so it's not expected that the proposed company could air there, but TBS is wide open. Plus, Kellner is no longer in charge and he was the main opponent to airing wrestling on the network.

-The word making the rounds is that Turner may already be laying the groundwork for promotion. One source told me that he has already sent out feelers to Steve Austin and Bill Goldberg about being involved with the project if it goes forward. If it all comes together, those at least on of those two would be featured part of the new group, with preferably both being there. Much like the jump of Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall to WCW in the mid 90s could be exactly what a new company would need to get off the ground running.

-Turner has always had a lot of loyalty to wrestling so while it's early in the game, this is a story with legs that we will continue to follow.

Could be, could be...

Anything will go stale if their is nothing to keep it on its toes. WWE needs major competition, just so it remains fresh. I think most people would agree with this.

I'm not commenting on the accuracy of the story, but for the above reason, I hope it's true.

Cheers!

god i have been saying this for ages wwe needs competition or else there is nothing to beat and will lose ratings. please let this happen with vince agreeing to let go some of his unused stars if turner buys off there contracts. i am not sure about this as i havent had the internet longer than a year (noob!) but i was wondering are the rumours of a new wcw and ecw hotting up?

god i have been saying this for ages wwe needs competition or else there is nothing to beat and will lose ratings.

I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees with that point. If Turner (or ANYONE) can put together a high-quality, highly-polished, prime-time alternative it can mean nothing but good times ahead for fans.

this would wipe out nwa aswell. i have often thought why would a new millionaire make there own federation with backing wrestling can be a major money spinner. does vince own the name wcw or will turner have to buy it back? if he has to start new i was thinking about WWC (world wrestling championship)

I think WWC was the Puerto Rican promotion - the one that Brody got killed at. If a new "big one" turned up then I reckon getting away from three initials would be a good idea. I think K-1 and Pride are fab names for combat (whether worked or not) promotions. Can't think of any good original ones off the top of my head though.

if it wasnt initials many casual wrestling fans would think it was real fighting and turn off IMO. if it was initials it would have to include world and wrestling. i am reading foleys book again and have just got past that bit so i will read back and tell you if youre right, i finished the book earlier this year after having it 4 years!!

I think that any alternative would be good to have. I think there was a similar story last year, I think that it would be easier for Turner to buy a large stake in TNA, he would then be in control of a wrestling fed but also have the ground works and fan base already there.

But if he wishs to start from fresh again then good luck to the man, although he could do with not hirering too much WWE talent, let them continue to struggle to utilise its roster while you make the best of the talented indy workers of the world.

Turner may be of the opinion "What's the point?",

Let's face it, if ANYONE gets close to denting WWE's ratings, then they will get the chequebook out and do a Microsoft.

It's a shame that the american government don;t grab em for a monopoly as bill gate's outfit saw....

But didn't the sale come about beause AOL/TimeWarner took over the network it was on? I'm a bit hazy but I don't think that they wanted it on their network so it was a cheap buy for the McMahons as it was just a name with a video catalogue after the last Nitro.

If Turner was fully at the reigns and wanted to keep the show on on a network that he was solely responsible for then McMahon doesn't have enough money to buy him out.

I hope it launches :xyx

Into space! ;) now that would be cool!

turner buying nwa:tna is its not a bad name but it will always be behind wwe

Well if NWA:TNA had the best talent in the world and was better than the wwe then I don't think it will be behind the wwe. The problem has been that they obviously can't attract the big names, because they don't have the money. But of course with Turner on board they would have the money and hopefully the TV deal.

I hope its TRUE!!!! Im not a big Turner fan due to his shady politics, but I was a huge WCW fan, and liked it much better than WWF! Getting Austin and Goldberg to help with the company would be a HUGE hit to WWe. Hell with no other companies for these wrestlers to go than WWe; with a new company with the funds you may see a bunch of guys jumping ship from WWe to the new company. This time Turners company better keep better tabs of the $$$ they spend, and run a better program. Edited by JackHammer

This whole idea has been floating around the net for quite some time now, It's only a rumour so I'm not gonna take it seriously until some kind of proof arrives.

I think I first heard something about Turner getting back into the business about a year ago.

• Like 1

bibby please do a bit more homework before saying nwa is the same as tna now days, also i know you never liked WCW but from what i saw of the product the wrestling was always better to an etxent and hell it was the best promotion for over a year at one stage
  • Like 1