How can wrestling evolve???

silverG

During the hogan/sting era, it was all pretty, star spangled and almost comic book. During the attitude/nwo era it got all gritty and more adult orientated. But where can we go now??? It must be obvious to everyone that we are now stuck in somewhat of a funk, compared to previous years its almost boring at times (With the odd flash of brilliance.) What will be the next step???? Will it be a step up the ladder??? Or a step off the edge??? Will they re-vamp old ideas or think of new ones?????? :?

Wrestling "eras" are short term fixes to the world of wrestling. But the simple fact is that a long term solution is needed.

The fact is we're sitting here watching stuff that is designed to entertain Americans, so in effect, as much as we sit here and criticise, our opinions really don't mean a thing to them.

WWE has now set itself up as a global corporation, it owns the world of wrestling. What I say is stop spreading your wings so far and concentrate on the elements you've got.

Perhaps even have a few true international wrestlers, instead of Americans with bad accents pretending to be international stars or people from the country above and below it.

The whole situation is kinda out of hand now, WWE have really dug their own grave by the direction they have taken over the years.

After the glitz and the grit I think WWE would do a great service to itself to lose the stigma of immaturity it has gained. It should market itself as SPORTS Entertainment and not Sports ENTERTAINMENT, if you know what I mean.

It's always good for the fans to have an outrageous gimmick like JBL, Big Show, HBK. However I'm sure even the most passionate of grapplefans feel ashamed when you watch good athletes like Helms and Rico prancing around in drag.

The WWE should concentrate on building a big, solid undercard of respectable champion college wrestlers, and then getting a few from the indy scene. My thinking however, more NCAA wrestlers.

People now know WWE is staged, even those who don't watch it, so they should market the fact that "hey! We've got REAL wrestlers here!". They've got Haas, Benjamin, Orton and Angle, they need to continue with this. I think...

Cheers!

I think WWE need to lose the little kids carrying around lunchboxes thing. It reminds me of Action Man (the greatest hero of them all!), and while i'm sure lunchboxes bring in a great deal of revenue for WWE, they need to try and draw in more fans. Maybe some market research guys.

With the characters they have, it could be turned into something more. Which reached out to more than people who like to watch scripted fights take place.

I can say that appealing to the young genearation is fine, one must know how to keep them interested when they are maturing so that audience stays.

I would say the biggest drop is when people get older and think they are too mature for wrestling.

I personally feel that we are currently in a real bad place as far as the WWE is concerned. (A bit like the funk just before the attitude era.) I think they should drop the idea of drafting from the amature wrestling scene, as much as I like shelton, brock, they aint anything special as far as personality is concerned. There is a real danger that if they continue on this path, all we're gonna get it is boring razzlers, who have exactly the same gimmick.....(snore...snore...snore.) That is not what I tune in for. I want to be entertained!!!!!! Its either amature wrestlers or guys that have won tuff enough!!!! am I the only one who has a problem with this?????? (Angle is the exception..of course.)

I think they should drop the idea of drafting from the amature wrestling scene' date=' as much as I like shelton, brock, they aint anything special as far as personality is concerned.[/quote'] I agree 110%, we need wrestlers with talent, AND personality, not just talent. Brock had a gimmick ,or something like one, shelton seems like he's starting to get something going, but as far as Maven goes, he's not anything intresting. Johnny Nitro at least has a heel gimmick. Maven needs to pic up the mic and start coming up with some mic skills when he returns. Johnny Nitro makes you hate him ,which is exactly what he's supposed to do, Maven doesn't seem to do anything exciting. what even happened to him?

I was thinking this just the other day and remembered back to when, well I can't remember when, but wrestling was a little more boring than it is today, the things that brought it to a new level were... Tables Ladders and Chairs (oh my)!

maybey we need a little more TLC action, or some actuall wrestling, do you realize how much air time has been lost from storylines and no wrestling!!!!!!!!!!! :tdown

I have a question, If the old days were called, "First Era", then the bret hart,shawn michaels days were called the "Federation Era", then finally the Austin "Attitude" era, what do we call this "era", if it could be considered that? The "Draft" era, or the "low smackdown ratings" era. or instead of "federation" (WWF) the "entertainment" era (WWE).

The wwe need more exciting stories' date=' new feuds, perhaps a third show, new matches, new championships ,new champions, or see some of the old rivalries from wcw or ecw or at least get a group to take on evolution.[/quote']

I think we can all agree with that, except, maybe, a third show.

What would be very cool, and if done right would get HUGE crowd pops, would be if the WWE took us on a nostalgia trip. Find two superstars who have been in the business (preferrably WWF) for donkeys years, and are still wrestling, and re-open an "age-old" feud (before you say anything, I don't think the HHH vs HBK feud was done very well at all).

They can choose from HBK, Undertaker, Flair, Kane, Foley...(help me here)

Didn't Mankind and Undertaker have a massive feud a few years back? Re-open that somehow and build up to a "non-sanctioned" brawl at Summerslam. I still say persue the drafting of amateur wrestlers but while they are bedding in, let's have some good old fashioned nostalgia! Let the crusties have their final swansong.

Cheers!

Third Show??????

perhaps heyman brings back ECW or WCW, but tries to ruin Raw & Smackdown (smackdown for being betrayed, and Raw for being drafted) but repeatedly fails misserabley, then Joins WWE as a 3rd Show, its a long shot but it just might work!

(I hope vince does this and starts to worship me :worship )

Keep dreaming Prof.V.D.

I think a third show sounds alright but they'd have to sign some good talent and not just start with some nobody bums, (prof.v.d.:))

This "era" of WWE is as good as when they had more tlc and cage matches. Those are hard to come by now. Today we're meant to be in awe of "great" stars like Orton who repeatidly win Mick Foley of whom the crowd actually like. This era is the "Lame Shows" era!

I have a point and I'm not sure it is true, but I'll put it forward anyway, because this is the way I feel is what is currently happening with the WWE.

WWE reacts to the feelings and emotions of the American fans. We have an american who loves the French, a simple bad guy who has taken advantage of the American people's hatred of the French right now.

They will not touch anything to do with the arab countries right now.

Basically America is in political turmoil, it has become very introverted in its attitude and this has reflected on WWE.

So, perhaps to make WWE less reactionist to the mood of the people, it should go retro. The wrestlers of the 80s/90s were Lfestyle wrestlers, most of them represented a job or lifestyle, IRS was hated simply because he represented the tax man, Hulk Hogan represented the American Dream, Bret was the high fashion cool guy, British Bulldog was the token UK guy who was on the good guy's side.

Everyone had their place and had their niche of the fan base with their particular "brand" of wrestling.

The other thing I saw and don't see that much is the face/ face matches, where the crowd is split as to who they want to win. In those days you saw the wrestlers as individuals who would step on another face to get where they wanted to be (Even though is was quite the opposite backstage).

Well, I said my piece...

Saracen