Steve Austin to wrestle for NJPW

The Beltster

Credit: PWInsider.com

New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) announced today plans to sign Steve Austin to wrestle for the company. Austin had worked for New Japan earlier in his career, while under contract for WCW in the 1990s. While wrestling for the company, Austin injured his neck during a tombstone spot with Japanese star Masahiro Chono (also of former WCW fame).

Austin was also working in NJPW when he had the big triceps injury that ultimately led to his dismissal from WCW by Eric Bischoff via phone call, and thus the birth of "Stone Cold" in ECW, and later in WWF/WWE.

New Japan is hoping their past association with Austin will help them land a deal with the biggest American draw ever.

Goldberg will also have some play in where Austin goes, as the two are friends, and Goldberg is off to work a couple Japan shows for HUSTLE-1, a DreamStage Entertainment show. The two are hoping to work each other, and HUSTLE-1 is definitely a likely territory for the match to take place.

I guess nobody knows what his body can handle more than Austin, but the style in Japan is awfully stiff. I think Austin is being very foolish if he were to wrestle again.

Well, bump or no bumping, I'm glad Austin may be going back to active wrestling. (atleast involved with some company)

If this happens, living over here in the UK, is there any way in which I can view the shows?

You will be able to watch them on the Wrestling Channel as they air NJPW cards, although they are a little behind...several months I believe. They will eventually catch up though, I'm sure of that.

You will be able to watch them on the Wrestling Channel as they air NJPW cards' date=' although they are a little behind...several months I believe. They will eventually catch up though, I'm sure of that.[/quote']

Well if he does eventually wrestle, I'll look forward to it. If someone would give me the times of when the NJPW is aired...

Well if he does eventually wrestle' date=' I'll look forward to it. If someone would give me the times of when the NJPW is aired...[/quote']

Trying to figure out the times anything airs on that channel is a nightmare. They change the schedule daily it seems. Just check the listings on your remote each day, maybe you will get lucky.

Well, bump or no bumping, I'm glad Austin may be going back to active wrestling. (atleast involved with some company)

If this happens, living over here in the UK, is there any way in which I can view the shows?

Just buy the tape from a tape trader. At least then you will be able to watch it without waiting 7 months for TWC to air it plus you will have your own copy.

I don't mean to be unfair to Steve Austin, as i respect him as a wrestler and a person.

But the guy wears knee braces and has neck problems for gawd's sake. The only reason he has a commissioner position is because he has a huge fan base and can draw crowds at the mere mention of his name.

If he did join New Japan, it would most likely be in a similar role, taking single shots when needed and applying his trademark ass whuppin' left right and centre.

If he was up to continous bouting, don't you think he would have been doing it before now?

Having said that wrestlers are a stubborn lot, look at the amount of rebirths Hogan has had, and I think WWE did pitch Austin as the Modern day HH.

So perhaps there is life in the old horse left....

Saracen

I'd love to see Austin back in the ring. Wrestling hasnt been the same since he was causing havoc between the ropes. Though Iam doubtful of his abilitys, due to his neck probs. I think people on this thread could be right, I think it could be a mistake for him to go back to wrestling. It could cause him further injury, and if he's not on top form, he could ruin his legacy. (sometimes you just gotta say "enough is enough" Flair being a good example.)

I think it could be a mistake for him to go back to wrestling. It could cause him further injury, and if he's not on top form, he could ruin his legacy. (sometimes you just gotta say "enough is enough" Flair being a good example.)

Unfortunately wrestlers are a breed apart... Flair is also a good example of returns to wrestling when perhaps he should not. I think also Hogan would jump at the chance of going back to WWE to perform.

The problem is i don't Steve Austin is really ready to put down his boots and retire gracefully, as have many wrestlers in the past, will probably do "one" more match.