Being a wrestling fan...

Mr.R_Wolverine

It seems nowadays, that being a fan of wrestling is considered wrong! These people have no idea, and probably enjoyed watching it themselves at one point or another in their lives.

Does anyone else live under this scrutiny?

I am a girl, and go to an all girls school. To cut a long story short, I have no on to talk about wrestling to. I cannot compare moves, talk about last nights RAW, and how Chris Benoit and Rey Mysterio are two of the top guys in the business.

Fortunately, my younger sister is at that influential age of 7. Moulding can now take place, and I am trying to get her to understand the beauty of this sport.

Sure, it's fake, pre-determined and rehearsed. That's why its called sports ENTERTAINMENT people! I love the behind the scenes stories, witty remarks on the mic, and John Cena's rap promos!

I think wrestling should be made more publicly accessible. Basically, cable should not be the only channels to air the shows. I'm sure channels like CH5 and ITV2 have some spare air time that can be put to better use. Isn't holidays from hell on everyone other night, when its not a re-repeat of Coronation Street of course.

Sorry for my rant, and if I bashed anyone, but who agrees??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell all of my mates that I watch wrestling. I'm proud of that fact, and I don't care what people say about me for doing it. I used to hide the fact that I watch wrestling but NOT ANYMORE. not for a long time. And I'm damn proud of it :)

A girl I fancy even watches wrestling and talks to me about it, can't be bad eh? :P

I tell all of my mates that I watch wrestling. I'm proud of that fact, and I don't care what people say about me for doing it.

:P

i'm saying man' , I've watch wrestlin since I was in like, the 3th grade and stuff, so If people don't like me because of that(who or why I don't know) **** em'

People often look at me as if I'm a bit mad when I say I like wrestling, or that I'm going to see WWE at the NEC real soon (wooo!). I think it's because I'm female, and in my twenties. A lot of people my age watched WWF 10-15 years ago when they were kids, but then lost interest in it. I did it the other way around - I picked up an interest in it about 5 years ago. Trust me to be different.

i could not give a dam what people think about me because i watch wrestling. The thing that dose my head in is when people say it's crap cause it fake, it's not fake its scripted they do hit each other with chairs they do land on pins.I say people who think its fake have a hardcore match with mankind then we will see what they say.

By the sounds of it I've been real lucky!!! I've lived in a few different places up and down the country, and everywhere I go I always seem to make friends who love wrestling. I've never had to hide the fact, and I never would anyway. (Its simply not in my nature.) I'm a rocker, brought up by a rocker, and as such I'm used to people being judgemental. It just doesnt bother me. So if someone did make a negative comment on my love of wrestling, they'ed get ignored, or recieve the V sign. (possibly followed by a swift kick to the happy sacks!! lol)

You should never be afraid to say what you feel. You should never be ashamed to show people who you are.

People are very quick to condemn wrestling as - I don't know - crap and immature. They spout their reasons and be honest, perhaps taking into consideration the WWE, they have a point (Rico, Hurricane).

However I have a little story that will warm the cockles of all of you guys, guaranteed:

Last year, me and two friends went to Miami to go to the Winter Music Conference. A good time was had by all. Anyway, we wanted to stay another week, and Miami was out of our budget, so we went to Daytona Beach because Spring Break was still going on.

I could end the story there because it's already damned cool, but I'll continue...

We had an outrageous weekend in Daytona, and were flying back on Tuesday afternoon, we wanted one more night out but didn't want to binge drink again as we had done that for close to three weeks and were coughing up blood in the mornings...

We stayed in the Adam's-Mark Hotel, right on the beach, where all the spring-breakers stayed. Opposite the hotel, was the Daytona Convention Centre, and in big neon lights were the words, "WWE RAW: TONIGHT @ 19:30" and more importantly "TICKETS AVAILABLE".

"You're kidding, right?" said my friends, but to cut a long story short I assured them they would like it. So we all went to WWE Raw on Monday, March 17th 2003. What a night!! Lilian Garcia kicked off with "Star Spangled Banner", made all the more poignant because the war in Iraq had just kicked off. There were troops in the crowd, going nuts. HHH's music cut in and the crowd went beserk, he started cussing Booker T and it was very funny. Kane had a squash match. Trish Stratus had a match, AND we were on the JumboTron, meaning you might have seen this face <-- on Sky Sports.

We didn't have amazing seats: if you consider the usual camera angle used for the ring on TV, we were around 10m off to the right. The heat given off from Kane's ring pyros is immense though. My friends loved it, I loved it, and they often watch WWE now, but admittedly not as often as me.

The End.

Cheers!

Edited by Boyo

Hmmm,

Perhaps you all need to look at home on this one....

There are many great British companies out there who put on shows to entertain people. So get your fix there.

I know this is the US part of the forum, but if you really love wrestling, then you should support the british counterparts by paying your money and taking your seat. WWE is on TV and comes live to Britain on occasion.

If you want to talk to someone about wrestling, there is always the person in the seat next to you.

Saracen

EPILOGUE

There was a little bit to my heartwarming story that I forgot, so here it is, a little Epilogue to finish it off:

The nest day, Tuesday, we got a train to Miami International Airport and got safely home. I rested and recuperated that week (slept a lot).

Friday night came along and I still wasn't in the mood for a night out, so I thought I'd watch RAW, you know: see what was going on. The most bizarre thing happened:

JR: "Welcome everyone to Mmmmmmonday Night Rawwww!! I'm J.R, this is Jerry 'The King' Lawler and we are coming at you LIIIIVE from Daytona Beach Floridaaaa!!"

King: "Puppies!" (he probably said this)

"Oh my God" I said to myself, "I totally forgot!"

I watched the same show again and remembered that me and my friends were shown on the Jumbo-Tron so I was looking forward to seeing myself on TV.

Didn't happen. They must have edited me out.

Bastards!

Cheers!

I do go and see FWA sometimes, i happen to be skint most of the time though and havent been for a while. They usually put on a good show, and its always worth the trip to see Doug williams, Burchil, (Dont know if thats how you spell it.. "Burchil....Burchil....Burchil") and co.

Last time I saw em was when Doug took on american dragon.

i'm saying man' ' date=' I've watch wrestlin since I was in like, the [b']3th[/b] grade and stuff,

Longest few years of your life, huh? ;)

I have no problems telling people at work I like the Wrestling. I treat it like my "secret shame" and even call it such when discussing it with people - it seems to break the ice and get passed any perceived embarrasment factor. I'll read my wrestling books on cigarette breaks outside, compare real-life situations to wrestling angles and whatnot. I guess it's obvious that at my age (27) I don't have the peer-pressure issues that some do so I don't feel the need to hide a fairly large aspect of my personality.

If being a wrestling fan is the same as being gay, then AC1D would be Dale Winton and I'd be Tom Cruise. I try to keep it hidden as much as possible, I'm afraid to say, and only the people really close to me know what I'm really like.

It's hard for my girlfriend not to find out I'm a wrestling fan when my wardrobe has WWE T Shirts and 90% of my tapes/DVDs are puro, indy or ECW shows. And when I go home at the weekends to work, I always get my brother to tape Raw/SD! so I can take them back to Uni and watch the shows during the week.

When it comes to talking to other people about wrestling, I'm out of everyone else's league. A few of my friends like wrestling and we buy PPVs together, but their love for it comes from supporting wrestlers and enjoying the whole sports entertainment shebang. In other words, they cheer the faces and boo the heels.

Like many people here, the reason I came to TWO was so I could talk to people about wrestling and not have conversations such as "The Rock could beat up Triple H!" every time I brought up the topic of WWE.

But there's no way I'd go around proclaiming to everyone that I'm a wrestling fan. My Kaientai T Shirt is for indoors only, and I cover my ECW Barely Legal DVD with a tea towel when I have company.

If being a wrestling fan is the same as being gay' date=' then AC1D would be Dale Winton[/quote']

The other orange goblin!

Like many people here' date=' the reason I came to TWO was so I could talk to people about wrestling and not have conversations such as "The Rock could beat up Triple H!" every time I brought up the topic of WWE.[/quote']

All gone t*ts-up recently on that score... ;)

My mates all looked at me as if i was a maniac when i told them how much i had spent to go see Mania 20, and i dont really care who knows i am a wrestling fan. I wear my wrestling T-shirts out and about, ok i catch a few dodgy looks, but its nothing to be ashamed of. I find though a lot of people seem to have a warped image of wrestling, and therefore condemn it at every opportunity. Once the image that wrestling is a "load of guys hugging" has gone, then many will re-think their stance on it.