Kill Bill 2 takes US box office

Kam

From the BBC News website:

The second part of Quentin Tarantino's violent epic Kill Bill: Volume 2 has hit the top of the US box office.

The movie, starring Uma Thurman as a vengeful assassin, took $25.6m (£14.2m) in its opening weekend, according to studio estimates.

The figure is up 16% on the $22.1m (£12.2m) the first film made when it opened in October 2003.

Comic book adaptation The Punisher, starring John Travolta, opened in second place with $14m (£7.7m).

Based on the Marvel comic, the film sees an ex-FBI agent target a crime boss in revenge for killing his family.

"A very big weekend for revenge," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

"Revenge in movies is very cinematic. Everyone lives vicariously through characters in movies, and they can safely get their revenge fix without actually doing it themselves."

In contrast, the comedy Johnson Family Vacation, starring Cedric the Entertainer and Vanessa L Williams, was at number three, with takings of $6.4m (£3.5m).

The latest film from My Big Fat Greek Wedding creator Nia Vardalos, Connie and Carla, failed to capitalise on her previous romantic comedy which proved such a massive hit.

Connie and Carla, about two women posing as drag queens, debuted outside of the top 10 with $3.26m (£1.8m).

My Big Fat Greek Wedding was the surprise smash of 2002, eventually taking $241m (£133.4m).

Disney's flop The Alamo slipped from number two to 10, ending hopes of a delayed surge.

It cost $140m (£77.4m) to make but has so far only taken £16.3m (£9m).

---------

The Punisher - thats the one with Kevin Nash I think :)

Went to see Kill Bill Vol.2 this past weekend and I personally don't think it was as good as the first one, but it was still good even had me laughing at times. I would recomend it and well if you've seen the first and liked it I'm sure your going to like the 2nd part as well

I went to see Vol 2 this weekend as well. It was good, but not as good as the first one. There were some very satisfying bits in it, and some cringey bits too. Got a bit sentimental near the end which bugged me. However, I did love the whole 70's kung fu film aspect of it. Like Deadman said, if you liked the first one you will probably like this one.

I think the reason people are saying the second's not as good (newspapers etc) is mainly as the first was just sooo good with lots of action. The second whilst still having some action develops the storyline so much more helping you understnad the characters etc. I liked the second, not quite as much as the first but DEFINITELY worth watching, or you'll never know how the saga ends! ;)