Where do UK promotions buy their Rings?

The Beltster

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We first purchased a second hand one, which has cost us more to repair than it would have to build a new one from scratch.

We have now built our own, origional design too, making it one of the stiffest looking rings in the UK, the good thing is it is not stiff, just does not look like a trampoline when wrestlers bump.

Our new ring cost £2,500 or there abouts to build, which is not bad when you think about it..

Gary

I was going to go with Frank Casey, but the rings he has arent too great IMO. As for steelyard, what would you go and ask? And where are there plans to build them etc? Any info would be much appreciated. Cheers boys.

PS: Hey Majik, its been a few years since I was last in the ring with you at one of the NWA training camps, good to see you around.

http://www.highspots.com/www/stores_app/Browse_dept_items.asp?Page_id=17&categ_id=180&parent_ids=0&Shopper_id=1650416940111650&Store_id=125

Only place I know of that sells them (I've never been in the market for one, though).

Priced for the US though you'd get bummed in the bum for tax and freight. Maybe they could be persuaded to send the ring a piece at a time - like Radar in M*A*S*H mailing home a jeep. :xyx

http://www.highspots.com/www/stores_app/Browse_dept_items.asp?Page_id=17&categ_id=180&parent_ids=0&Shopper_id=1650416940111650&Store_id=125

Only place I know of that sells them (I've never been in the market for one, though).

Priced for the US though you'd get bummed in the bum for tax and freight. Maybe they could be persuaded to send the ring a piece at a time - like Radar in M*A*S*H mailing home a jeep. :xyx

The highspots rings look ideal, but obviousy postage will be a killer so there is no way I will buying from them. It has to be within the UK.

A note on importing a ring from highspots...

First the ring has to go into a sealed container, then you will need to arrange carriage of the container to the nearest US port that ships to the UK, then it needs to be shipped to the UK, where when it arrives customs get hold of it and levy a massive import tax on it, and then you need to pay that and arrange delivery this side. You are talking in the region of £5,000 for a $3,000 ring, not to mention the hastle..

I believe http://www.championshipbelts.com sell ring plans on CD rom, for different sizes... that's off the top of my head btw so it might not be them.

On a side note though, I do find it dissapointing that very few people in this country actually make important stuff for wrestling.

Rings, belts, clothing, lighting etc....

Ah well, when i'm a millionaire.....

Saracen

I believe http://www.championshipbelts.com sell ring plans on CD rom, for different sizes... that's off the top of my head btw so it might not be them.

On a side note though, I do find it dissapointing that very few people in this country actually make important stuff for wrestling.

Rings, belts, clothing, lighting etc....

Ah well, when i'm a millionaire.....

Saracen

Championshipbelts.com is run by my mate Brian, I shall ask him if he can hook me up with some ring plans. Thanks for nudging my brain.

Yes, it is a shame we have to look to the USA for stuff. I always buy all my belts from Reggie Parks and Dave Millican, after all Reggie made all the great WWF, NWA, AWA etc belts, so he is the man, I dont know of any belt makers in this country.

Championshipbelts.com is run by my mate Brian, I shall ask him if he can hook me up with some ring plans. Thanks for nudging my brain.

Yes, it is a shame we have to look to the USA for stuff. I always buy all my belts from Reggie Parks and Dave Millican, after all Reggie made all the great WWF, NWA, AWA etc belts, so he is the man, I dont know of any belt makers in this country.

Oh I wish you did Chris lol, isnt it funny every time you post something brings belts into it well done saracen :lol

Sorry remlap, didn't know that the mere mention of the word belt would bring such tragedy to your life......

Will remember for next time....

However i''ve been doing some belt price research and very few will even acknowledge you exist for less than £400 and even at that price you are pushing it.

The worst thing is I discovered is that it isn't the plate, or the gold/silver plating that costs... it's the leather!

Fortunately i live in th black country, so blacksmiths will do plates for about £50. if he turns the ends, you could bolt it on a cheap weight lifting belt. But then again it doesn't have the authentic "American" Reggie parkes signature.

As far as i'm concerned, the guy didn't even bother replying to me, so he's lost my custom.

Sorry remlap, didn't know that the mere mention of the word belt would bring such tragedy to your life......

However i''ve been doing some belt price research and very few will even acknowledge you exist for less than £400 and even at that price you are pushing it.

The worst thing is I discovered is that it isn't the plate, or the gold/silver plating that costs... it's the leather!

Fortunately i live in th black country, so blacksmiths will do plates for about £50. if he turns the ends, you could bolt it on a cheap weight lifting belt. But then again it doesn't have the authentic "American" Reggie parkes signature.

As far as i'm concerned, the guy didn't even bother replying to me, so he's lost my custom.

My advice: If you want a belt, buy from Reggie Parks, Dave Millican or Mike Hamilton. You pay higher, but you get THE BEST! Mike Hamilton does an AWESOME version of the Big Gold (RAW World title) for less than $1000, which is about £550, £600 after postage, and you cannot go wrong with that price at all. The majority of my belts I have bought from Reggie and Dave have been about $1600 each, so thats about £900-£1000 a piece. Like I said, you pay high, but you get the very best.

And the plates are the most expensive part, along with the labour. Leather is cheap. You can get a belt releathered by Mike for $130, which is whatm about £75?! The plates are nickel that are electroplated in gold, bolted to the strap, the bolts grinded down etc...its the whole process your paying for.

I was not beeing funny my self, it just a dam couqidence :lol

Youve brought up a very valed issue there, about American style wrestling belts and I tottaly agree with you, I wish someone here would know the trade here as ive forked out quite a bit on postage for my belt

Id do exactly what Chris as said go for Mike Hamilton which I have least then you have something that looks the proper part

Once again im sorry if I came of sounding funny

No worries remlap,

I was actually joking about the tragedy thingy, my sense of humour....

Anyway to go with some of the points made here, as for the guy who said i should go with Reggie Parks, they didn't read my post properly, I sent a mail to him and he didn't even respond to it.

In fact out of the few beltmakers I emailed, only one took the trouble to email me back.

He wanted my custom and has bent over backwards to help me get what is needed... so I will go with him, funnily enough that is Mike Hamilton.

Saracen

You cant email Reggie Parks direct, he doesnt deal with the public, his business partner Ed Chuman does. Trust me, Reggie isnt some ignorant prick, he is the man, if you want to email him, you email Ed at edchuman@aol.com

I also deal with Dave Millican, he is the nicest guy alive and a good friend of mine after knowing him for over a year. His email address is mmbelts12@aol.com

As for Mike Hamilton, he is awesome, and a great great guy who does awesome work. He sent some belts out to me last week, hopefully they will arrive soon.

No worries remlap,

I was actually joking about the tragedy thingy, my sense of humour....

Anyway to go with some of the points made here, as for the guy who said i should go with Reggie Parks, they didn't read my post properly, I sent a mail to him and he didn't even respond to it.

In fact out of the few beltmakers I emailed, only one took the trouble to email me back.

He wanted my custom and has bent over backwards to help me get what is needed... so I will go with him, funnily enough that is Mike Hamilton.

Saracen

Cheers Saracen I look forward to seeing this belt of yours who ever you decide, your leaning towards Mike I gather

The artwork ive been sent by Mike is beautiful I gave him a basic idea and he got the artwork finished in a week and a bit, he must be working his socks off

My next belt will be made by J-mar unless i can get perfect shots of the side plates, J-mar has had bit of a repuatation, dont know if its still valid

I don't mean to be rude wwf beltmark, but where do you get off?

You may be able to afford belt after belt, but the rest of us can't.

I represent a group of people who wish to have a decent title belt, but cannot afford a reggie parks or a mike Hamilton. The fact that they can is because I am putting a lot of my own money into it, which will, in the end mean I cannot spend it on life's essentials.

If you have money to burn so be it, but some of us have 14 year old kids to look after, asking them to pay over £40 each on a title belt they won't be able to hold until they go pro is not fair and just not right!

I think I am beginning to see what Remlap was on about.

Tell you what, have a care about other users and try not to belittle them with monetary comments like the ones you have come out with.

Reggie parks may be "the best" but we are british wrestling companies and we cannot afford it!

Come on, the British market is open... someone can fill this gap in Wrestling goods.... who are you? tell us about yourself and be cheap!

I don't mean to be rude wwf beltmark, but where do you get off?

You may be able to afford belt after belt, but the rest of us can't.

I represent a group of people who wish to have a decent title belt, but cannot afford a reggie parks or a mike Hamilton. The fact that they can is because I am putting a lot of my own money into it, which will, in the end mean I cannot spend it on life's essentials.

If you have money to burn so be it, but some of us have 14 year old kids to look after, asking them to pay over £40 each on a title belt they won't be able to hold until they go pro is not fair and just not right!

I think I am beginning to see what Remlap was on about.

Tell you what, have a care about other users and try not to belittle them with monetary comments like the ones you have come out with.

Reggie parks may be "the best" but we are british wrestling companies and we cannot afford it!

Come on, the British market is open... someone can fill this gap in Wrestling goods.... who are you? tell us about yourself and be cheap!

What the ****?! What the hell are you talking about dude, I was giving you belt advice, I thought you were looking to pick up something from Reggie or Dave but chose not to because you couldnt contact them, I *THOUGHT* I was giving you the advice you were looking for, so dont come in here and have a go at me and ask me "where I get off" ok mate!

Oh, and I have kids too mate, so lets not act like a prat and bring that into it! You want a title belt for £40 or less?! If thats the case, then you are crazy, you will NOT find a belt for under £40 unless its a home made one by yourself or somebody else. Even the fig inc WWF replica belts are almost £200 each over here.

I'm not belittling ANYBODY, I'm just explaining to you about title belts, which is what I assumed you wanted to know about. If people cannot afford it, thats fine, and if people simply do not want to spend alot of money on one, thats cool too, but dont come in here telling me your emailing Reggie Parks about a belt you want, and then in the next sentence tell me you cant afford Reggie Parks belts and tell me I'm belittling people! Your contradicting yourself!

And now your saying "We cant afford to go with a Reggie or a Mike Hamilton!" but in the post before, you said your going with Mike Hamilton, and I KNOW for a FACT his cheapest custom belt would be at least $1000, so there you go contradicting yourself again!

Fact is, if you want belt advice, myself (or remlap) can give it to you, just dont piss and moan when you hear the prices, and dont have a go at somebody who is trying to help you!

Next time you decide to have a pop at somebody, make sure its somebody else mate, alright?

Oh, and by the way, if you have kids to feed that your so worried about, why the hell are you running a wrestling organisation in the UK? You may as well just burn your money! :roll

Edited by The Beltster

I'm confused. Why pay £600 for the Raw title' date=' while Euroshop do it for £250?[/quote']

Because the ones sold on Euroshop are replicas. They take a cast of the original belt, make a mould and then replicate them. They are 2mm thick, the 'engraving' on the plates in extremely shallow and doesnt look very good, they also come on a strap made of pleather (fake leather) which is very stiff and nothing like real leather. The plates are stamped out on a machine in China and they are dyed with gold tint.

The real belts I buy are hand made by a real belt maker in the USA (Reggie Parks was the belt maker for WWF and WCW from the early 1980's until 1998) and they are etched in nickel, gold plated with real gold, are 4mm thick, and the strap is made of real, hand tooled leather with soft chaps backing.

Unless your a mark for belts, the replicas are cool, good price and make the fans very happy. But I am a huge belt mark, and always wanted my own hand made one by the man who made them for Vince McMahon, and thats Reggie Parks. Each belt I order takes 3-5 months to be made.

So, as you can tell, there is a HUGE difference between the Fig Inc replicas that you can buy and a real hand made one from Reggie, Dave or Mike etc.

Like I saidm unless your a huge fan of belts, you probably wouldnt be too bothered, but once you see a real belt, like the ones used op TV, and you see it next to the replica's sold on Euroshop, you see the difference. Replica's simply cannot compare. But then, with the price difference, nobody would expect them to, you know?

Edited by The Beltster
  • Like 1