Show some respect, dammit.

Dead Crow

You know, over the past few years, i've heard nothing but people put down wrestling. Its degradeing but we wrestling fans know that we are right and that no-one can put us down. But recently, these wrestling fans who are supposed to love this business have been putting down the people who "made" it. All I hear now is "Hogans old and hasnt done nothing for wrestling" and "Nash and Hall are useless and always have been." Well you "wrestling" fans would not be watching wrestling as it is today without those "useless, nothings." I hate it when people fail to realise what the NWO, Randy Savage, Ric Flair and others have done for all of us. I doubt many will agree but its a true fact. Hogan made wrestling popular in the 80s. Hogans charisma carried the wwf to superstardum. When Hogan and the Outsiders formed the NWO, these "old-fogies" made wcw the biggest thing since sliced bread. they

revolutionised wrestling and made the wwf pull their fingers out of their a**es. nwo made the wwf sit up and notice. these three "useless old men" made wwf work harder to get the ratings (and it worked extremely well by 1998.) Austin became bigger and HHH and the rock became stars because the wwf needed new stars to beat these old men. face it...rock and austin would not have made it so big this quickly without the nwo because without the pressure, wwf would not have tapped into the talent of these two.

What about flair? he was an exceptional wrestler in the 70s/80s and in some cases, even the 90s. yet he seems to be getting little recognition. even sting, who was hugely over as the goth, has been given little respect as of late. people like hbk, harts, vader, and even curt hennig get little respect for the work that they did. it sickens me after they worked so hard to entertain us.

you should know by now that i write anything i want if its on my mind, and this has been on my mind for days. so d

say what you want about it, but i just wanted to let my feelings out.

sorry if you count this swearing but, about bloody time someones done this.

but the fact is most of these peopple only started watching wrestling because of hbk and do tey want to see him back oh yes sure they do, but he's to stuck up to come back

i only started watching wrestling due to a kickass number of events

anyway... i respect what you have wrote Draven, and you are right, we do owe respect to many of the wrestlers that have made this business what it is.

but... at times we do have a justified reason for hating /blaming/dissing many of these superstars

Well anyone who isnt at least interested in the NWO coming would have to be strange, although like ive said, Wrestling fans SHOULD be able to criticise crap that comes on, especially these days, such as Tori and Stacey type matches.

I havent seen anyone posting saying that wrestlers dont put 100% into what they do or that the WWF is a joke whatever...All ive seen is people posting saying they dont like overrated crap like HHH being plastered all over the wrestling shows they want to be able to enjoy, and making other similar comments.

All the guys you mentioned are were/are/always will be greats. Simply because they were always in great matches, and have helped wrestling become what it is today, they made it into a massive massive business, something people really take notice of.

I'll still say the best matches I've ever seen involved most of the guys you mentioned above, from Hart-Piper, Vader-Sting, Anyone remember Hogan's matches with Hansen and Inoki in Japan, Austin and Rock revitalising a WWF in turmoil? They deserve all the respect in the world for everything they've achieved.

Admittedly I've been the first to criticise the appearances of most of these guys recently, but what I was really criticising was the promoters use of them. I could never take away anything from their achievements, and quite frankly whilst they've actually been out there doing it, sweating, bleeding to entertain the world I've been sat on my sofa watching and idolising them, I'll never forget that.

Guest SkinnyBoy
I only hate hall nash and hogan because they refuse to leave our tv screens. They've had there fame and fortune its someone else's time now. I like to see new talent and fresh faces come up and through the ranks not old talent and faces come back that have already done it all and back again.

You've got to remember that both raw and smackdown are primetime viewing in the states, there mentioned in the same breath as say friends and frasier over there. if i remember the NFL don't like raw as it clashes with there games and harms there ratings. IF these programs were not to have these womens matches the promos by the rock, but just the wrestling itself. then that would equal less ratings which equals less money fo the wwfe stockholders

I indeed did miss out a lot of people. People like Bret, Owen, LOD, Woryah, Snake, DiBiase, Hennig, HBK and countless others who worked damn hard to get this business to where it is today. And even now, those superstars in the ring are preparing the wwf for the future talents. HHH, Rock, Austin, Taker, Angle, Jericho, all working to keep the wwf alive so that people like Edge, Test, Booker T, Brock Lesnar, Leviathon and others can take their places and keep the wwf alive. Its called passing the torch, but we need to remember where the torch was passed from. People like Sammartino, Zbysyko, Flair, Race, (damn, i got a pretty good memory for a 14 year old) and Dusty Rhodes, the Funks, even back to Buddy Rogers. These people kept wrestling alive and passed the torch down, only when they passed it down, the passed it from Wrestling down to Sports Entertainment, yet the entertainment wouldnt be there without all those aformentioned wrestlers, because if they hadn't have kept wrestling alive, the wwf today wouldnt be wrestling, but more an episode of Eastenders, and thats the point im trying to make.

I would never critize people like Dynamite, Flair, Von Erich, etc who did help and change the business during there time, however Hogan, Nash and Hall is a different story. Hogan did not make wrestling big, wrestling was big way before he came around like Flair vs Kerry Von Erich drawing 40 000 and Smartino vs Hansen drawing 50 000 to Shea Stadium. What Hogan did was make it more main stream bringing more money into the business and that I will give him credit for, But his actions in the last 10 years have not given me many reasons to respect him, he's refused to Job, failed to put guys over who needed/deserved it etc, this nWo angle should be Hogans farewell to wrestling as an in-ring role, he should work with guys other than his buddies and help the business even more, he should do that but sadly I can't see it happening. Hall can work decent matches and get good heat, but to call him a legend is a tad insane. Nash fitted in well in the nWo angle but helped kill WCW with his bloody awfull booking (goldberg jobbing at Starcade and the finger poke angle) so again why should we respect him. And in the end it's hard to respect those 3 guys when the WWF locker room doesn't even.

Love all the guys everyone's mentioned, they should and always will be a part of wrestling, BUT...........I don't want to see many of these guys wrestle anymore. When Larry Holmes made a comeback to fight Tyson it was deemed pathetic, but we're not allowed to criticise Hogan because of what he's previously achieved. How would you best have remembered Ali? Beating Foreman or losing to Spinks. I want to remember Ric Flair for winning the rumble and countless other great matches, not for beating Vince McMahon at the Rumble. Guys you were great, but even the great ones need to know when to stand back.

I honestly dont think that Tori/Stacey bits on Raw actually cause ratings to go higher. Otherwise theres something wrong with the system.

I can kinda see where Jaydens coming from, but i still want to see Hogan come back, just for the sheer curiosity. These little NWO clips they started showing are surely getting people interested, im looking forward to it more every time i see them :)

I never said that you had to want Hogan back. I just said that some of these guys dont get the respect they deserve. Thats the only point i was making. Im not a fan of Hogan, but i respect what he did for this business, and i really am curious to see the nWo back because it brings back memories.

It does bring back some great memories, I just feel personally that everything that made it great first time round is lost this time.

Firstly it was a relutionary storyline, people had tried to take over companies before but this went so much further, it was fresh and had a lot of attitude.

Secondly I think all the guys were bigger stars back then than they are now.

It was the dramatic heel turns, the match run ins, the (in Schiavone's words) single greatest moments in pro wrestling, the charisma and the attitude.

I just don't think a Hogan, Nash or Hall against any one of Rock, Austin, Taker etc is something I want to see. I hope as much as anyone that this storyline works out. We've already lost WCW and ECW, we all need this company to be a success to keep some credibility to the business we all love

How can you respect Hogan?

This is the man who refused to wrestle Bret Hart for the Title, when Bret was clearly ready, because he knew he would look so bad against him. Instead, he made Vince put Yoko over...for about 1 minute, and then Hogan wrecked the whole show, and destroyed the title's prestige, by beating Yoko.

I respect Hogan for what he did back in the late 80s/early 90s when he made sports-entertainment popular (deny it all you want but its true) with his charisma. Whether you admit it or not, people flocked by the thousands to see Hogan, but once they saw Flair and others, they got hooked on the other wrestlers. They became more interested and once all that was over, Hogan arrived and made their night even more special. I know Hogan was selfish, but he did make wrestling big. Im not saying he did it single-handedly, but he did a major part. And then in the nWo, he rejuvinated wcw and although he did it with the Outsiders, he still did it.

Sorry to babble on about this but i really feel strongly about this.

once again, i have started a thread that gets at least 179 people viewing and at least 20 replies. god, im good at this.

but seriously, i hope this thread has made people think about this issue. i hope my point has been made. if you dont agree with what ive said then tell me because all points are valid. i just hope everyone of you will think about this.

So the moral of the story is "Respect Hogan"?

Guys like Rock and Hogan i suppose do deserve a good bit of credit, while they might not be the most talented of wrestlers (understatement) they do at the end of the day draw crowds and make Wrestling as big as it is. And i know Rock isnt like Hogan in the respect that he doesnt hold people back but you know what i mean eh ;)