Most suprising team of the season?

Matt

I cant believe Middlesbrough this season. I never thought i'd see the day when Middlesbrough would be playing in Europe. And now we have a very real chance of getting into the Champions league. You guys might laugh at that but were only 4 points of a Champions League place and if we carry on playing like we are now then i dont see why not.

I'm probably biased, but I think there's been a lot of almost surprise teams this year, but VIlla are the biggest for me. Earleir on in the season we were talking about a relegation battle, and even with a really small squad, we're challenging for 4th(and would be there if it wasn't for conceding late goals against City and Bolton the last couple of weeks :( ). Though to be honest, I'd still be happy with just a European place. It's been a great season for us, and beating Chelsea on Monday was a great result, even without Angel.

Talleres of Argentina and Werder Bremen of Germany have been the two shock sides for me. In Argentina, everyone expected Boca to steamroller their way to the Closura, but Talleres have been doing phenominally well to keep up with no big names in their squad.

Werder have also done a brilliant job in Germany, sitting top of the league with a lot of thanks owed to Ailton. OK, Bayern have pretty much thrown the league away with some really shocking performances, but let's not take anything away from Bremen, they deserve to be top.

Villa is a surprise, but I guess that shows how good a manager O'Leary is. Man City never shock me because I pretty much always expect them to do crap, Blackburn are a surprise. I'm shocked with wolves as well, I never expected them to get 25 points! :D

Oh and Tranmere getting to the quarter finals of the FA Cup was a shock, although us going 7 unbeaten with a 442 system was not.

I've been very surprised by Aston Villa, they've got a very small team and some influential players are out of contract in the summer (Dublin, Johnsen) and "Deadly" Doug refuses to make more funds available for David to build during the off-season and he've done very well considering Villa was once at the wrong end of the table.

I've also been very impressed by Birmingham City, Steve Bruce has done an excellent job and Forssell has been superb all season.

What about Yevoil Town? - they've done well, I had expected them to struggle and the same goes for Wigan!

What the hell was the joke comment for? How the hell are we a joke, second season in the premier and top 10 all season. I can't wait till deadly doug tightens the purse strings more, and won't renew contracts of the players your losing in the summer, and I won't even begin to talk about the 2.5 million you've got to spend in the summer, cos you spent 1.5 million of your kitty on nobhead solano. Love always viler.

Has to be Villa. Last season they were a bland Premiership club going nowhere. Now under O'Leary, they are challenging for a CL spot, after being on a tight budget and they are playing some lovely football. Angel is banging them in and they have some balance to their side for the first time in a long while.

In the premiership both Charlton and Birmingham City have been the biggest surprises. As Nicole said, City are only in their 2nd season up top and are gunning for a european place, Charlton also are really going for 4th place, and i was expecting to see them in the lower half of the table.

In my teams league, Division 1, Norwich, West Brom and Sunderland have all done extremely well to get where they are. Both West Brom and Sunderland have had a tough time coping with relegation, but seem to have come through relatively unscathed. Norwich have just taken charge of the league, nothing else to say on them. Another team that has surprised me is West Ham, mainly at how turbulant the seson has been. We were one of the favourites to come back up, but the Hammers have really struggled and may not even make the playoffs, which would be horrendous for the club.

Cant believe no one has mentioned Doncaster Rovers. They came up into Div 3 by the conference play-offs and at the start of the season they were odds on favourites to go back down again. Now they have already wrapped up promotion to division 2 with games to spare and theres a very good chance they will take the Div 3 title.

Definatly the biggest surprise of the year for me.

Villa have been the most surprising team for me.O'Leary has done really well with a small squad and hardly any money to spend.In europe Werder Bremen have done really well but they will sell all their best players in the summer so they probably won't be as good next season.There have also been some surprisingly crap teams this season,big clubs that should be playing better.

Unquestionably Fulham. They were expected to be relegated this season, and have proved everyone wrong. Chris Coleman has been a fantastic influence for them this season, and as shown great talent despite being the youngest and most inexperienced manager.

Villa, Boro and Birmingham have doen well, but I have to agree with Chris and say Fulham. I was expecting them to be near the bottom, instead they've played some great football and are well out of the relegation scrap. I'm both surprised and delighted at how badly City and Liverpool are doing, I'm also surprised at West Ham, then again they did sell half their first team.

• 2 weeks later...
Crystal Palace just outside the relegation zone in division 1 just before Christmas, but now in the play-off area and on a roll the sort of roll that could see the in the premiership next season> Ian Dowie has done a fantastic job there in a very short space of time.