Shooting in WCW?

Simon

After watching the Monday Night War DVD (which I really enjoyed), and seeing clips of WCW which I'd obviously never seen before having only ever seen one episode of Nitro along with some snide 'Best of WCW in the 90's' video got me wondering a few things.

Like on the DVD there's a clip of what looks like Benoit shooting in the ring about 'backstage politics' and all that... was that a genuine shoot or just the typical WCW type nonsense of the time?

And after hearing on the DVD what Flair says about Bischoff... how much of that 'you are a SON OF A BITCH' rant aimed at Bischoff by Flair when he returned with the horsemen that time was genuine? I have to admit I was a tad confused as to whether half the rants in the ring by WCW guys were just works or not. Even Russo's infamous shoot on Hogan... was Russo doing it for effect or genuinely shooting? Or Eddie Guerrero's one about wanting his contract ended and the coffee being thrown on him?

Just I was a bit confused since they all had some truth behind them... Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me :)

Benoit left WCW because of backstage politics. He got shacked up with Kevin Sullivans ex-wife and with Sullivan as booker, Benoit knew he couldn't get anywhere. Dunno when the actual promo was cut but I know that woulda had some bearing towards it.

The Flair interview was full of legitimate hatred. Flair went around with the mentality he could get away with anything cas he was Ric Flair, and Bischoff disagreed, and made every possible attempt to screw Flair over. When he went to watch his son instead of turn up for a WCW show, Bischoff punished him. He and Flair hated each other.

The Russo shoot was a shoot. They had agreed the finish, but apparently not the rant, and Russo just went apeshit. Of all the bad things he did, credit to Russo - everything he said was truth, and he generated a LOT of interest for WCW.

The Guerrero incident was a work. If it was a shoot, he woulda used a lot more swearwords (he didn't use any and kept stopping himself from saying even the word "ass" which WCW would punish people for).

The Guerrero incident was a work. If it was a shoot' date=' he woulda used a lot more swearwords (he didn't use any and kept stopping himself from saying even the word "ass" which WCW would punish people for).[/quote']

a work yes...but i believe the incident he refers to in his promo actually happened, in whch eric threw coffee on him

Just to add to that, the Benoit thing is funny cause Sullivan wrote the storyline as part of his and Benoit's feud, that he steal Sullivan's woman, so far that he had them be seen in public together, so to make it seem more believable. Of course we know how that ended.

The Flair and Bischoff thing was so bad, that the Bisch even took out a lawsuit on slic ric, and it got really nasty.

One thing though, about the huge interest the hogan thing in wcw got. Thats not true, there was no huge interest, apart from the smarts, but everyone else was totally clueless, and had no idea what the hell was going on, and whether it was a work or a shoot, thus it confused the audience into not caring. Another desperate attempt at the time to boost WCW's horrendous buyrates, which only served and made them worse.

Still wondering however, since Benoit was so screwed with the politics, that his outburst in the ring after a match about it that you see on the DVD was a genuine rant or whether it was some annoying WCW work though...

Anyone any idea?